Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Country Style Ribs
    I have a great recipe for baby back ribs that my fiancée loves... but of course they are expensive. Country Style are much cheaper. Can I just use the same recipe or are they prepped and grilled differently?

I'm sort of a pork amateur... more of a steak kind of guy - so any advice would be appreciated.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 02:20 PM

I've prepared both and the main difference is that the country style ribs have more meat. They actually cook up a lot like steaks. I've found that they're best slow-grilled so the meat doesn't dry out too much. If you have a smoker, even better. Otherwise, a regular grill will work fine.

McCormick's makes a pork rub in a small jar; it's like a thick paste. It's wonderful for something like this because it's good at seasoning the meat all the way through. Then you can carry on with your regular recipe.

I did some like this not long ago and they were delicious!
    Howie628 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2009, 04:10 PM

I like to cook my country ribs in the oven first. Place in a pan and pour a mixture of 1 can coca cola with about 1 ounce of liquid smoke over the ribs(about 16 oz of water will work also if you don't like a smoky sweet flavor). Then sprinkle with garlic, season salt and pepper. Cover and cook at 300 for about 4 hours, then transfer to the grill or smoker and brush(or pour... I like a lot of sauce) with your favorite bbq sauce and cook for about 30 minutes longer on low heat. Do not place directly over the flame or coals. Brush with sauce again right before pulling from the grill. They will melt in your mouth.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

May 3, 2009, 10:37 PM
    With either Country style or baby backs, pull off the inner membrane first... unless you are hanging them in a smoker.

Just insert a fork tine or a butter knife under a corner of the membrane, and pull. Hopefully, it all comes off in one piece. Sometimes it helps to place a paper towel between your fingers and the membrane to help get a grip.

Other posters are correct... ribs must be cooked at a LOW temperature... around 250 degrees. I also marinate my ribs in apples juice the day before I smoke them.
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 20, 2009, 11:05 AM

I start them in a crockpot on low for a few hours first so that I can just hit the grill when I'm ready to cook them.

I have tried them cooked all the way (all day) in the crock pot with modified sauces and they're awesome never dry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I style my hair in 40's style? [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to a themed party this weekend(pin-up girls/army guys). And I need a cute 30s/40s hairstyle. I want something that looks like Dita Von Teese. My hair is about shoulder length. I can't find a good how-to website for achieving this look. Anyone know of any? Thanks :)

Uneven ribs [ 1 Answers ]

I recently noticed that my ribs arnt even. I'm kind of worried. My right ribs stop about an inch lower then my left ribs. I've had a lot of stomach and digestion trouble recently and we haven't been able to find any cause for it. I've also had some back pain. Could my uneven ribs have anything...

Our mini dachshunds ribs. [ 2 Answers ]

We got our mini Dachshund, Zeus, when he was 6 weeks old. When we got him we noticed his ribs poked up and out at the ends. When I took him in for his first puppy shots I talked to the vet about it. He said he should grow out of it by the time he is 3 months old. He is 5 months old, and they...

Painful ribs. [ 5 Answers ]

I am 26 weeks and 3 days pregnant and lately I have been having pain in my bottom ribcage on both sides. Anyone know what could be causing that? Or what I can do for the pain? It's not extreme pain just real annoying pain. I see my doctor in a couple of days, but was just wondering if anyone...

Strike to ribs [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been hit hard to the rib cage and could not move for 1st day, 3rd day still moving very slowly. Extreme pain in the back muscles rhomboid and serratus ? I am curious about all the sounds of popping and creaking going on around the left side of my rib cage from the front to the back. It...

View more questions Search