Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 12:46 PM
    What are two absolutes that exist in eternity and never change?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Death and Taxes
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    Death and Taxes
    Sorry, both involve change.:)
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 21, 2007, 01:36 PM
    I was going to say Nothing and Forever. No matter what changes, nothing isn't going to include it anyway. If you believe in Christianity, and god destroys the universe, he can create something else. Forever is as long as anything does, will, and has existed. If you don't believe in Christianity, then if the universe dies out, we could have a big crunch, and then another big bang. Again, forever would be a timeline that includes this. I suppose that could change as time progresses, but the MEANING stays the same.

I guess you could also argue that the past doesn't change. That is, unless you find a way to go back in time.

Maybe I got one of the two? I'm no philosipher.
    Irulan Posts: 92, Reputation: 17

Aug 21, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Death and time which are mututally inclusive.
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsoksirhc
    I was going to say Nothing and Forever. No matter what changes, nothing isn't going to include it anyways. If you believe in Christianity, and god destroys the universe, he can create somthing else. Forever is as long as anything does, will, and has existed. If you don't believe in Christianity, then if the universe dies out, we could have a big crunch, and then another big bang. Again, forever would be a timeline that includes this. I suppose that could change as time progresses, but the MEANING stays the same.

I guess you could also argue that the past doesn't change. That is, unless you find a way to go back in time.

Maybe I got one of the two? I'm no philosipher.
    Interesting thoughts you have. However, Nothing and Forever are concepts with-out objects, that is, they are not material objects. As far as the past, it does not still exist today.

I will however concede you are technically accurate about, “Nothing, and forever” given that I did not qualify “Absolute” as being material objects.

However by my meaning of absolutes your answers are not correct.

Good thinking though on your part.

Aug 21, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Interesting thoughts you have. However, Nothing and Forever are concepts with-out objects, that is, they are not material objects. As far as the past, is does not still exist today.

I will however concede you are technically accurate about, “Nothing, and forever” given that I did not qualify “Absolute” as being material objects.

However by my meaning of absolutes your answers are not correct.

Good thinking though on your part.
    Well, it was worth a try.

Is this a riddle? It might be too hard for me, if it is.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Aug 21, 2007, 01:53 PM
    There are none according to Buddhism, but...

How about Greed and Ignorance? :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1970
    There are none according to Buddhism, but...

How about Greed and Ignorance? :)
    Greed and Ignorance are both subjective concepts which do change, and do not exist in the physical world.:)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 02:11 PM
    (0) and...

Or space and matter?

But I believe the only thing existing eternally would be the Almighty... ::), but that is not what you are asking Dark Crow, is it?
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    (0) and ...

or space and matter?

But I believe the only thing existing eternally would be the Almighty...::), but that is not what you are asking Dark Crow, is it?
    O.K.- I'll give one and it should make the other easier. . It has survived untouched for many thousands of years and will survive to the end of time. The North Star i.e. Polaris which remains fixed in position. One fixed reference point in the heavens, which enables us to make sense of all other units of measure. If there were no fixed reference point, there could be no North, South, East or West.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 03:05 PM
    A star that survives until the end of time? I don't think so.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Eternity means "time without end"... in reality, is there time without end??

In monotheism/faith/belief, not reality, eternity *is believed* to exist as is a god who inhabits it.
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    A star that survives until the end of time? I don't think so.
    You had better hope so, four billion people on earth would be in a constant state of confusion, and travel would be limited to a very short distance. And stand still, you look as nervous as a whore in church.:)

Aug 21, 2007, 03:14 PM
    I'm going to have to agree with NK. And without Polaris, the earth would still have a north south east and west. They are based on the magnetic field the planet is in. Except for true north, which is marked by Polaris. This DID change, though, as long ago, the celestial marker for true north was a star called Thuban.

Also, if you're talking about the north star itself, it does change. It's location changes, it's mass changes, it emits energy by giving off light. I'm not sure what type of star it is, but I'm sure the chemical makeup of it also changes.
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Eternity means "time without end"....in reality, is there time without end???

In monotheism/faith/belief, not reality, eternity *is believed* to exist as is a god who inhabits it.
    Don’t wax philosophical on me now sweet cheeks, eternity is really long, especially near the end.:)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 03:19 PM
    You had better hope so, four billion people on earth would be in a constant state of confusion, and travel would be limited to a very short distance. And stand still, you look as nervous as a whore in church.:)
    Our sun indeed has a limited life span:
    What is the life expectancy of the sun?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Mr. Crow, I just checked again; this is the Philosophy Board!

:):):)

Aug 21, 2007, 03:40 PM
    So... what is the other? Perhaps it is a little bit more legitimate.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 21, 2007, 03:43 PM
    Sorry, both involve change.:)
    Who changes from dead?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does random exist [ 48 Answers ]

Hello, I was just wondering if random exists within physics. If not, if there's only one way something can happen depending on how it happens, and future events are determined by present and past events.. then surely the future can't be controlled.. it could only happen that one way. Is choice...

Does Truth Exist? [ 36 Answers ]

Does Truth Exist? My belief is that the truth varies with each individual. There is no truth, there is only what each person perceives to be the truth. If we are in conflict with someone regarding truth, the best thing to do would be to accept that everyone sees what they want to see...

Do ghost dolls really exist? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm wondering if ghost dolls really exist. Please share stories about your expieriences with ghost dolls or really scary dolls.

The one may truly not exist. [ 5 Answers ]

Hey my friend told me this riddle before he went away. It's been weeks and sadly I still can't figure it out. Can anyone help solve it? Have you ever fell so far into someone.. that the only thing you could do was hold on to the breathe of there presence... Because comes a day when you wake...

The guy I like doesn't know I exist. [ 3 Answers ]

There is this guy I like. I have only seen him around campus a few times. I asked people if they knew him and if so what info they can give me. So far I know his name and that he's a 19 year old freshman and he lives in my dorm building! I have never had a boyfriend before. I always end up...

View more questions Search