Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RobertT from TN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 02:32 PM
    Removing glass from aluminum windows
    I want to replace some broken glass in several single hung aluminum windows. I have found instructions for this on several web sites, but I have a problem with the part describing how to remove the upper glass. The instructions say to remove the cross bar by removing two screws holding it in place. In the case of my windows, the screws are installed from the outside of the frame. I really don't want to remove the frame if at all possible. Judging by the available replacement parts for these windows, I believe that they are Keller windows. I do maintenance work for a living and can handle some cutting/drilling/modification if necessary but would prefer an easier solution if possible.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 25, 2009, 07:20 PM

Hard to believe upper fixed sash cannot be remove without removing frame. Show us some pictures.
    glassdoc Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Jul 10, 2009, 11:09 AM

Could be several different scenarios but hope this will cover it. PUT ON YOUR GLOVES AND SAFETY GLASSES. To remove just the glass, use a putty knife to remove the vinyl locking bead from the edge of the glass (some windows this will be inside and some this will be outside). This may be brittle and may have to be replaced. Cut the adhesive from the other side (have someone there to hold the glass so that it does not fall out). Use NEUTRAL (sometimes referred to as RTV) cure silicone to reinstall the glass. Acetic cure silicone will eat the seal of the insulated unit and it will "fog up" in a couple of years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing fused aluminium foil on glass cooktop [ 1 Answers ]

I left alumionium foil by mistake on my brand new kitchenaid cooktop, now it has silver stain that looks like it's fused on the glass cooktop. I used a razor to scrap and some came off but there's still fused silver stain that won't come off. I also tried turning the stove on to the minimum...

Removing cement splashes from glass without scratching [ 1 Answers ]

How do I clean cement splashes from glass windows without scratching?

Removing an Aluminum Window [ 4 Answers ]

I am having a lot of trouble removing my old aluminum window. It has a nail flange and accessing this flange isn't a great option for me. It is possible for the back of my house that has aluminum siding, however, the rest of my house is brick. Would it be best to cut out the window with a...

Removing cement from glass [ 2 Answers ]

Does anybody know how to remove splashes of cement from glass without scratching the glass.

View more questions Search