Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jessalynn Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Comparative Advantages
    If the US and China specialize according to comparative advantage what will happen to the total output of steel and aluminum in the two countries?
    kp42484 Posts: 39, Reputation: 16

Apr 29, 2006, 12:38 PM
    In a theoretical situation, when two nations trade with one another using comparative advantage , the nation with the lesser opportunity cost in a certain product will produce that product. Example: Say the opportunity costs are as follows for the US and China:

China ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ US
    ------- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------
    1 steel=10 aluminum ~~~~~~~1 steel=20 aluminum
    1 aluminum= 20 steel ~~~~~~~1 aluminum=10 steel

In this scenario, China will export steel and the US will export aluminum. Since each nation is concentrating its efforts in one product, it will export less of the other product and let the other nation export that product. Example: China has decided to export steel since it has the comparative advantage, and has decided to import aluminum from the US since it is cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advantages and Disadvantages of international cooperations among MNCs [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, What is the advantages and disadvantages of international cooperations such a strategic alliances among the MNCs and their objectives in the international scenes. Thanks for the help

Comparative Income Statement [ 1 Answers ]

Prepare a comparative income statement for Walmart, Inc. for the years ended December 31, 2006, Be sure to include figures for gross margin, operating income, income before taxes, net income, and earnings per share. Sales $300,000 Utilities expenses 15,000 Employee salaries 115,000...

Advantages and disadvantages of Apple [ 20 Answers ]

Dear all At the moment I will start my own internet business, so I am thinking on changing to a mac system, a G5 I think. My problem is that I never worked with Apple before, although I kwnon I can achieve better results, I don't know what are the advantages and disadvantages of using mac...

View more questions Search