Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    v_atray Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 10:04 AM
    H4 to F1 visa change
    I am currently in US on H1-B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. She was accepted in graduate school for Fall 2006 semester and she started her studies on H4 visa itself. She is currently enrolled in her second semester.

She is thinking of changing her visa status to F1 starting next Fall, primarily to be eligible for OPT after graduation. She will be graduating in May 2008. I have read that you have to be on F1 for a year to be eligible for OPT. Is that one year before you can apply for OPT or one year before you can start working on OPT?

So in her case, can she change to F1 visa in July 2007 and apply for OPT in April 2008 and start working around August 2008?

Any suggestions/advice will be appreciated.

Many thanks.
    san123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by v_atray
    I am currently in US on H1-B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. She was accepted in graduate school for Fall 2006 semester and she started her studies on H4 visa itself. She is currently enrolled in her second semester.

She is thinking of changing her visa status to F1 starting next Fall, primarily to be eligible for OPT after graduation. She will be graduating in May 2008. I have read that you have to be on F1 for a year to be eligible for OPT. Is that one year before you can apply for OPT or one year before you can start working on OPT?

So in her case, can she change to F1 visa in July 2007 and apply for OPT in April 2008 and start working around August 2008?

Any suggestions/advice will be appreciated.

Many thanks.
    Hi,
    Interesting question and I have the same question too .
    Any answers ?
    v_atray Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Hi san123

Here is what I found: Yes, it is possible to change to F1 visa and apply for OPT a year later, provided you can do it. The requirement is that you have to be on F1 for a year before you can start working on OPT. The problems include:

1. Bank Statement - I am with Bank of America and the branch manager will not issue and letter with the current bank balance immediately. BoA will issue an 'Immigration Letter' that will state your current balance, average balance for last 3 months, when and where account was opened, etc. The information will be reviewed by someone, the letter will be notarized and sent to you by mail. They say it may take up to two weeks. If it gets lost in the mail (as it happened in my case), then you start all over again.

2. Inept Student Services Office (SSO) - Do not expect the employees of the Student Services office to be professional, knowledgeable or efficient. They will ask you to come when you have all papers ready, then issue you an appointment 3 weeks down the road, not log it in their records, issue another person a duplicate appointment and then ask you to come back another 3 weeks later. Also they don't understand the visa process very well and will keep giving you wrong information. And it takes them at least 2 appointments to get anything done.

3. Getting visa issued in USA or home country - If your wife is not planning to go home and get her F1 visa stamped there, then she has to file Form I-539 (Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status) with a service center in USA. Currently BCIS is processing applications that were filed in Dec 2006. You can check current processing dates here: https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp? So if your wife files for change to F1 status now, she can expect it to be granted sometime in August and get OPT next August. Else, she has to delay her graduation and start her OPT in Jan'09. There is a list of documents that need to be provided along with I-539, which you can find out about at the SSO of your wife's school.

My wife had difficulty in explaining to SSO officials that she wanted to get her F1 stamped in New Delhi as she is going to India in summer, so all she needed from them was an I-20. But they kept asking her for all the documents as if she has to file for change of status in US. For example, the university has to have your bank statements for last 3 months for filing I-539 only, not if you go to a US embassy abroad. But they keep asking for it. Also, they will not accept any bank statements printed off the internet. The want 'original' statements only. Since I only receive estatements and not paper copies, I don't know what to give to them.

Moral of the story: Start at least 6 months in advance and pray that you don't have to deal with stubborn and ignorant officials.
    sravanisandhya Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Dec 7, 2007, 03:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by san123
    Hi,
    Interesting question and I have the same question too .
    Any answers ?
    Hi,ihave same question please give me replay.
    Thank you.
    ten_questions Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Sep 20, 2010, 02:42 AM
    Comment on v_atray's post
    Hi,my daughter is planning to go to USA for MBA.Also we r going to fix her marriage with a guy with H-1b.Then which option is better?she goes with H-4 and join univ?is it allowed?or is it better she goes with F-1 n change to H-4?pl reply

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

F1 Visa Status to H1B Visa Status [ 0 Answers ]

I am student doing my Masters. I intend starting my OPT from October 1, 2007. An employer has agreed to file H1B for me after April 1, 2008. I guess my H1B Visa will be approved some time in June/July 2008. I want to know when will my status be changed from F1 to H1B. Will it be effective from the...

Name change [ 1 Answers ]

How can I legally change my child's name?

Change of visa status [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to change visit visa to a student visa after entering US

Federal Forms for a F1 Visa to H1 VISA [ 5 Answers ]

I understand many people are in the same boat and I am also in the Same boat as all. Let me present my case and have it clear understanding for all First I was on OPT status from 1st January 2004 to 13th Oct 2004. I changed my status from F1 -> H1B on 14th Oct 2004. Hence my status from 14th...

View more questions Search