Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1dazed1 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2010, 06:34 PM
    2003 Ford Windstar - squeaking sound from engine & stalling??
    Under suggestion of a friend, removed belt to diagnose if problem was alternator. Removed serpentine belt & started van. Squeaking continued, so not related. Removed valve cover to check oil pressure/presence & it appears to be good. Unsure of what to check next, cannot pin point where the "squeaking" is coming from. Van stalls & will refire and start back up, but dies again within minutes. HELP, please :)
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 22, 2010, 07:57 PM
    . Install new platinum spark plugs (Motorcraft only), if they have not been changed in the last 50,000 miles.

. Use a mechanic's stethoscope or large handle screwdriver to identify the source of the squeak.

. Check for codes.
    DelawareJim Posts: 1, Reputation: 5

Nov 28, 2010, 05:45 AM
    The cause of your 2 symptoms are related. The culprit is called a crank angle sensor. Www.advanceautoparts.com part number 30-S2601. Sells for $46. This sensor sits just behind the water pump. Look for a round black plastic cover with 2 very small bolts. It also has 1 bolt and washer that hold it in place. It has 2 wires connected to it. It is located just behind the water pump assembly and in front of and below the power steering pump assembly. This is not just a sensor that is mounted to the engine, No no no. It is an assembly with a long shaft and a gear that is about 12 inches long. The problem is that near the top of this sensor there is a bushing that goes bad. When it does, the first symptom that you will notice is a squeal sound coming out of the belt area. A fan belt squeal. The next symptom that happens is the motor will stall. You can restart the motor but it usually takes a few seconds to get it going. Then you hear that awful squeal sound again, and then it stalls again. Frustrating. Just order a replacement sensor and install. As I recall, it should take an hour or so to install. The problem is there is almost no room to work. You have to loosen the power steering pump assembly (4 bolts and 1 of them is just under a copper tube... so remove the 3 easy ones and then as you are loosening the 4th, just lift the pump assembly as you go... it will comes up just fine). You don't have to remove any of the hoses or lines, just loosen the power steering pump assembly to give you clearance to lift out the sensor. Then sensor has just 1 bolt to unscrew and 1 electrical connector to remove and it lifts and out of the engine. It comes up on an angle towards the power steering pump. If you need more room, pull the 2 windshield wipers arms off, remove the black plastic cowl, and the plastic cowl under that. Couple of bolts and those plastic screws and those windshield washer hoses, and an electrical connector for the windshield wiper motor. This also gives enough room to put new spark plugs in. The front 3 pugs are pretty easy, the back 3 are a little tougher. I laid a quilt blanket across the engine area and laid on top of the engine area to reach those back 3. Anyway, hope this info helps somebody. Oh yeah,FYI, the purpose of the crank angle sensor is to send a signal to the vans computer to adjust the timing. When the bushing goes bad, the sensor gives a false reading, throwing the timing way out of whack which stalls the motor. Good luck.
    CaliManny56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 19, 2011, 05:07 PM
    DelwareJim is spot on. My Windstar 2003 minivan had a squecking sound and it sounded just like it might be something related to the serpintine belt like a water pump, alternator, pulleys or powersteering. I took it to two mechanics:

1st Mechanic: Charged me $60 to inspect it. He said that it was the something in the motor, he removed the serpintine belt and squecking sound was still there. He said it may cost anywhere from $1000-3000 to fix. I said no thanks, not worth it, I'll run it to the ground.

2nd Mechanic: Charged me $700 to replace my water pump. Mechanic put a stetsoscope to the pump and the noise was coming from there. It took a day to fix it, the next day as I was driving away the squecking continued, I pulled back in and the cashier heard the noise too and I left it there overnight again. Now the mechanic said it was the power steering pump, and it would take another day. That night, I surfed the internet and found this blog and DelwareJim message, and I thought to myself that this is exactly my problem, I slept peacefully that night. The next morning the mechanic called and said that it was the syncronizer, which is exactly as DelwareJim describes the crank angle sensor. I felt confident that was the problem, and it turned out to be true. I paid no labor and just parts at cost.

Both mechanics were right on figuring out the problem and I was satisfied with both, even though I got a water pump I didn't need. You tha man DelawareJim!!
    Chi sao Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 01:21 PM
    Thank You Delaware Jim for the post!! You were correct on the problems I had on my 2002 Windstar... The camshaft position sensor was the culprit! The part cost around 65 dollars new and 50 for a remanufactured one. I want to thank everyone who participated in posting or reposting problems and answers to their vehicle so that we may keep all the mechanics honest!
    clifton559 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2012, 11:52 AM
    My 2002 did the same thing fooling everybody thinking it was belts or what not but as I know about those things wong kill an engine I knew it was a sencor and googled it and wabam my answer was rite.
    clifton559 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2012, 11:53 AM
    It was the 65 doller cam shaft bushing gone out causeing fire to go into the block a fail.
    96bullittgt Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 29, 2013, 05:21 PM
    Let's be clear here. It is the cam synchronizer that is actually bad. It has the previously mentioned sensor on top of it and when the bushing goes bad, it overheats the sensor, causing stalling and a P0340 DTC. Replacing the sensor will not fix the chirp noise, you must replace the synchronizer as well. This requires doing everything mentioned previously as well as disconnecting the metal coolant return tube that mounts to the water pump. On the 2003 3.8L Windstar, this tube is held in place by two screws, one that is located on the water pump and one that is on the power steering pump bracket. Once the power steering pump has been removed, the bolt is accessible. If you obtain some 1 inch rubber stoppers you can quickly remove the tube and plug the water pump opening and the tube to minimize coolant loss. Obviously you do this with a cold engine.
    One more thing, You must reinstall the new synchronizer in exactly the same position as the original. Consult a Ford workshop manual or an experienced technician if you are not sure. Marking the synchronizer and the "tooth" before removal will help. If this is not done engine damage can result.
    Homeplate Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2015, 11:30 AM
    Just coming across this discussion and I think it addresses a problem with my 2006 Ford Windstar. To add... my "chirping" sound and "stalling" symptoms go away once the car warms-up, after about 5 minutes of battling the idle speed to keep the car from stalling. Does warming the car make sense with regards to a bad crank angle sensor? I thought the problem might be the alternator, but it didn't seem rationale that the alternator needed to warm up.

Sorry, I have a 2003 Windstar, not 2006, as identified in my recent post. Homeplate.
    pbetoolman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2016, 07:57 PM
    I found my squeak problem in my 2003 Ford Windstar due to this site. Great job guys. My problem started as an innocent squeak after a trip to Missouri. Sounded like a belt. First place I took it to started changing parts. Belt idler first, then the water pump. Total: $700.00. Still had the squeak. Never went back but did raise hell with the shop. Wasn't going to take it back and have them start changing parts again. Then, stalling started happening when at idle with a "squeak" at the same time. When trying to restart, it took longer than usual. If I was driving, a misfire occurred with the squeak simultaneously but the van continued to run but only after bucking like a bronco because of the misfire. I read this article and said to myself, "this is my problem". Unfortunately, I took it to a Ford dealer and they used Motorcraft parts of course and charged me another $310.00 to change the camshaft synchronizer only, not the sensor mounted to it. This problem from start to finish was about 5 months long. The sensor portion never went bad so no computer codes ever showed.
    kelownaguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2017, 08:49 AM
    Thanks for the help!
    Similar situation, after replacing both pulleys-waterpump-alt- and 1000$!
    The issue was the cam sensor synchronizer.
    Don't let shops replace all these parts before trying a simple test. Start the engine for a short time with the serpentine belt removed. If the squeak or chirp is there, you have your answer.
    Wish I had found this blog sooner! Cheers!
    thgaud2019 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2019, 10:21 PM
    Very interesting ! It appears my 2003 windstar needs a new camshaft syncro too! As per my mechanic apparentley this is a common part to fail ,although my windstar has 265000 kms on it . My mechanic also said its due to the camshaft not getting any oil or lubricant on the shaft.I guess the motor is wearing out and bigger problems will follow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What causes a 2003 Ford F250 with 6.0 diesel engine to be sluggish and slow @ startup [ 1 Answers ]

When the truck first starts up when cold it won't drive but maybe 5mph but once it drives a couple miles it runs great. What could be the cause?

Ford F250 Injectors for 2003 6.0 engine [ 1 Answers ]

Fuel problems, replace fuel filters (both) and oil filter, cranked and run for about one mile, stopped truck would go dead when put in gear, afterseveral attemps, truck would not crank, peroid.

How do you replace belt tensioner on a 2003 ford ranger 3.0 liter engine [ 1 Answers ]

How do you replace belt tensioner on a 200 ford ranger 3.0 liter engine looks like a very tight fit.

2003 F250 Ford Diesel Truck 6.0 engine [ 2 Answers ]

My diesel truck is giving me fits. When I start it up there is no problem, but after it runs for awhile, it starts to vibrate (you can feel it in the steering wheel) it acts like it is going to die, runs badly like water in the gas, then you get a fuel smell in the cab. If you give it a little more...

2003 Ford Windstar - Road Noise [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, I have been away from the world of auto mechanics for many, many years. I have a 2003 Ford Windstar van that the driver's side front tire was replaced because the tire that was mounted was losing air. The replacement tire seems to be causing a loud roaring noise in the van's cabin...

View more questions Search