Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Winterlili Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2014, 04:15 PM
    Does having perfume in my hair every day influence the outcome of a hair strand test?
    I spray my hair almost on a daily basis with my favourite perfume and want to know would this influence the outcome of an alcohol hair stranding test? I am in a battle with social services. My mental ability to look after my 6yr old child following the suicide of my 18 yr old daughter is in question, and they have requested such a test. Does alcohol delivered in a perfume spray directly to the hair bring about a positive result?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2014, 04:24 PM
    WHy are you spraying your hair, thats not where its supposed to be applied. Perfumes are meant to be applied in tiny does to the skin where the heat of the body and the oils in the skin do its thing.

I have a feeling you are actually drinking and looking for any excuse you can use when you fail. We see a LOT of people that attempt to do that on this site.

Incidently..if you are legally prohibited from drinking....the source of the alcohol doesn't matter...because you would be prohibited from using any product that contains it.

Apr 21, 2014, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    WHy are you spraying your hair, thas not where its supposed to be applied.

I have a feeling you are actually drinking and looking for an excuse when you fail. We see a LOT of people that attempt to do that.
    Lol Oh my fears, what a real help you are! Thank you for taking you time to answer, but am sure you'd be of more help else where.
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2014, 04:35 PM
    I guess by your rude answer I was absolutely correct in my assessment. In which case you will fail. But then you already knew that didn't you?

That is the reality....if you are being tested...and your kids were taken away from you....you have a problem with the bottle....and you would have been prohibited from it, and they are testing you to see if you were, and you clearly weren't. Therefore you won't be getting your kids back anytime soon.

Getting cute with people only proves my point...and trust me...they have seen every excuse out there and really will NOT go in your favor by defying their orders.

Don't believe me.....wait and see what happens. You HAVE to prove to them the problem that resulted in them taking your kids has been resolved.....and has for a while or they will remain where they are until they age out of the system.

Its your choice.....not mine. If you don't take this serious....why should they let you have them back. Take a step back and take a long hard look at this...I'm not saying it to be a meany....I'm saying it so you take it serious....because they are. Its their job.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 21, 2014, 04:49 PM
    You'll likely fail if there's alcohol in the perfume. It won't matter how it got in your system, or on your hair, it's not supposed to be there, and you would have been given a list of items you can't use, and told not to use any products with alcohol in them.

If you use this as an excuse they won't buy it. Normally perfume isn't sprayed on the hair, so it's a poor excuse for finding alcohol in a hair test.

The only way you'd get a second chance with a positive test for alcohol, is if you had a prescription from the doctor for necessary medication that contains alcohol.

Apr 21, 2014, 05:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    You'll likely fail if there's alcohol in the perfume. It won't matter how it got in your system, or on your hair, it's not supposed to be there, and you would have been given a list of items you can't use, and told not to use any products with alcohol in them.

If you use this as an excuse they won't buy it. Normally perfume isn't sprayed on the hair, so it's a poor excuse for finding alcohol in a hair test.

The only way you'd get a second chance with a positive test for alcohol, is if you had a prescription from the doctor for necessary medication that contains alcohol.
    Thank you Alty,(apologies, misread your name) The next submit is for Smoothy, who is anything but.If I wanted a way of passing a hair strand test, that's the question I would have asked. I spray the air and walk through it if you really need to know, the way my grandmother and mother did, and I always have done. I've not been asked not use anything with alcohol in it, nor have I been asked to actually stop drinking. The question is a legitimate one and a knowledgeble direct answer without assumed guilt would be refreshing.

Apr 21, 2014, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I guess by your rude answer I was absolutely correct in my assessment. In which case you will fail. But then you already knew that didn't you?

That is the reality....if you are being tested...and your kids were taken away from you....you have a problem with the bottle....and you would have been prohibited from it, and they are testing you to see if you were, and you clearly weren't. Therefore you won't be getting your kids back anytime soon.

Getting cute with people only proves my point...and trust me...they have seen every excuse out there and really will NOT go in your favor by defying their orders.

Don't believe me.....wait and see what happens. You HAVE to prove to them the problem that resulted in them taking your kids has been resolved.....and has for a while or they will remain where they are until they age out of the system.

Its your choice.....not mine. If you don't take this serious....why should they let you have them back. Take a step back and take a long hard look at this...I'm not saying it to be a meany....I'm saying it so you take it serious....because they are. Its their job.
    I guess Gary Gygax is correct; you can't fix stupid. Believe me, I take this very seriously, and not the one being cute as you supposed it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 21, 2014, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterlili View Post
    Thank you Alty,(apologies, misread your name) The next submit is for Smoothy, who is anything but.If I wanted a way of passing a hair strand test, that's the question I would have asked. I spray the air and walk through it if you really need to know, the way my grandmother and mother did, and I always have done. I've not been asked not use anything with alcohol in it, nor have I been asked to actually stop drinking. The question is a legitimate one and a knowledgeble direct answer without assumed guilt would be refreshing.
    Sadly we really can't tell you what will happen with this test.

If you've not been told, or asked, to stop drinking, why are they testing? A test for alcohol use isn't logical if the person receiving the test hasn't been told to stop consuming alcohol. The test won't tell them if you're an alcoholic, it will just tell them if you've been consuming alcohol. So it really makes no sense to test if the person in question, you in this case, hasn't been told to stop using alcohol.

So why are they testing if you're allowed to drink alcohol? What's the purpose of the test? If you're allowed to consume, and you are consuming, one way or another, the test will come back positive. But a positive won't matter since you've been told you're okay to consume alcohol. So why worry about you perfume? You shouldn't be worrying at all, since you're allowed to have alcohol in your system, according to you.

Do you get what I'm saying?
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2014, 06:40 PM
    I'm with Alty... I also believe there is something more to this you aren't telling us... or why if you aren't required to abstain... are they popping a random test on you... and then why would you be afraid of failing it when they did.

I am subject to random workplace related testing... I drink what I want when I want... I've never worried about it because I'm not required to be alcohol free off the job.

The reality doesn't change... nor do the requirements if you don't give us everything or do it completely honestly. They made the rules... those rules need to be followed to the letter, or they will see no improvement to the situation that led to the kids being taken and put into foster care. And if they don't they won't change anything from how it is currently.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 21, 2014, 06:42 PM
    Alty makes a great point...if you haven't been asked or told not to consume alcohol, then the test would make no sense by itself.

Oh, and the can't fix stupid quote is associated to Ron White, not Gary Gygax.
    Luck0rN0t Posts: 263, Reputation: 45

Apr 21, 2014, 09:53 PM
    Just sayin', I have had a hair test, UA and swab all done the same day and was never told to abstain from anything prior to it. My ability as a parent WAS in question due to accusations of dependency and as part of that question, my use/abuse of drugs and alcohol. I'm very trusting, but I believe the OP's question is a valid one, but I'm also new here.

I really am not clear on the hair testing, but have read that things you put ON your hair should have no effect on the test... it is the alcohol that is absorbed into your body and then the by products "become" part of the hair shaft as well as fingernails/toenails. For instance, coloring your hair will not change the result of a hair test, as that is a coating, whereas the drugs/alcohol actually are part of the internal makeup of the hair. Like fingernail polish remover would not show up on a nail test... just the alcohol consumed by the body.

I am not permitted to drink, but have never been told to stay away from any products that contain alcohol... my facial astringent most likely does, as does the hand sanitizer at the testing facility, it's self! I have not failed any of the CPS or court ordered tests I have taken - diluted once - out of about 90 ETG tests and not intentional... but again, to this day - since the middle of August 2013, I have NEVER been instructed to not use products containing alcohol.

I also am familiar with the spray and walk through the perfume, so you don't smell like you spilled a bottle of perfume on yourself... especially with some of the more expensive, stronger smelling perfumes out there... however, I would suggest keeping it away from your hair, especially if you know the day of your test... spray it chest high and walk through that so it only goes down from there, I would not intentionally add alcohol - or hairspray or gel to my hair if I were you, either... knowing a hair test was coming.

So, either I'm totally naïve, or just trusting... or stupid or some combination of the three. <shrug>
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 21, 2014, 10:05 PM
    Where it becomes a question is that the OP claims that she has not even been told she can't drink so that makes some of us wonder...IF she is allowed to drink, then why are they going to give her a test for alcohol? Seems, based on that information, that she probably is not supposed to drink and is looking for a reason...an excuse...as to why there will be alcohol showing up when she is tested. That is what was being said and why she is not being believed so much.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Apr 22, 2014, 06:56 AM
    Let me just jump in here with a question. A hair follicle test doesn't usually test for alcohol but rather illegal drugs. Cocaine, meth, pot, and opiates to name a few. I haven't heard of a hair follicle test being used for Alcohol. I think your concern, considering your ignorance of chemistry and biology with respect to these tests, is completely valid. Before you call me cute, which I won't deny because I am f**king gorgeous, please realize that being ignorant is not a bad thing, it just means you have the opportunity and ability to learn but you just don't know about this.

Alcohol washes are used in labs to isolate certain chemicals and compounds. Will alcohol penetrate your hair to wash away any illicit drugs? Nope. The actual structure of the hair is strong enough to be unaffected by alcohol, so a alcohol wash will do nothing. As well the wash would be staying in your hair, so anything that dissolved in the alcohol will remain there when it evaporates. It is also a matter of quantity. Unless you bath your hair in perfume, don't laugh there are enough people in the world that think it is sexy when you do that, there won't be enough alcohol in the perfume to do anything and it will mostly likely evaporate before it could affect anything.

Will perfume affect a hair follicle test? Unlikely. Though if you're being tested for drugs, chances are you would have had to pee in a cup. If enough of the perfume were to be absorbed into the skin it could produce a "False Positive" Ish. The Urine test tests for ALL alcohol. Hand sanitizer, rum, hair products, perfume, mouth wash, vodka tampons. If alcohol got into your system, and it doesn't matter how, it will show up.

Good luck and I am sorry to hear about your teenager. I hope for the best outcome for your other child/children; even if that is away from your care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair strand test for alcohol [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know how the calculation is done for hair strand tests for alcohol. I have done a lot of reading on it but can't seem to find an answer to this. I know that 1.5 inches is usually taken and that represents around 90 days. Also know that the 'cut off' seems to be around 60g of alcohol a...

Alcohol hair strand test [ 0 Answers ]

Can you fiddle hair strand test for alcohol ?

Hair strand test! Help! [ 4 Answers ]

Right. I'm having to be made to do a drugs and alcohol test that goes back 90 days ( 3 months ) but.. The last time I had a hit on a spliff. And was literally say 2 tokes? Cause id been drinking and my friend told me it was a ciggie. Hey all know full well I hate cannabis. It makes me major...

Hair strand test for alcohol [ 0 Answers ]

Please can anyone tell me what I should expect from the results! As my ex is trying to get visiting rights to my children and he is clearly unfit through excess drinking... Which caused the children to be at risk, it is as we speak going through court and I know the it will reveal he is a drinker...

Shampoo for hair strand test [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone recommend a shampoo that has actually worked in passing a hair strand test for drugs and alcohol?

View more questions Search