Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 12:12 PM
    Upside down mortgage
    Hoping someone with knowledge in this area can answer this. A man I know has an interest only mortgage which is now upside down. House would sell for $100K but the loan is always at $120K plus interest. He believes h can just walk away from this or get a short sale, moving away in less than 2 months. Barring filing bankruptcy what are his chances of getting out of this loan?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2012, 12:14 PM
    Of all the people I hate to give a pat answer to, you're the first BUT I'd say he should consult with an Attorney in his area.

I have a friend in Florida who was told by an Attorney (and I find this hard to believe) in a very similar situation to walk away. I believe he's about $35,000 underwater but still...

I'd get some really good legal advice because this could (obviously) kill your friends credit and make his life miserable for a long time.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 01:56 PM
    Many people do indeed walk away from upside down mortgages, even though they are not bankrupt. It's a pure financial decision - he may be better off walking away and buying a second equivalent house for $100K. However, as JKT points out it'll ruin his credit rating for years to come. Also once the bank forecloses the $20K difference between what he owes and the fair market value will count as income to him (loan foregiveness), and hence he'll have to pay income tax on that amount. So he saves interest charges on $20K worth of mortgage, which is probably worth around $1000/year, in exchange for bad credit and an income tax bill of several thousand dollars. Maybe it makes sense, maybe it doesn't.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    ... Also once the bank forecloses the $20K difference between what he owes and the fair market value will count as income to him (loan foregiveness), and hence he'll have to pay income tax on that amount. ...
    It's taxible income even if the bank gets a deficiency judgment for $20K?

Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    ... He believes h can just walk away from this or get a short sale ...
    If the bank will agree to a short sale, it is possible to get the bank to also agree to forgive the at least some of the deficiency - which of course might again incur tax liablility.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 25, 2012, 09:13 PM
    Hey guys, I really appreciate your answers but some glitch never notified me that anyone answered. I just found your sage advice tonight. Thanks for your thoughts

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upside-down on my mortgage in the Boonies... 3hr commute per day! Help? [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I have good jobs now, and can afford our mortgage (barely), but we live 1.5 hours (one way) from where we each work... we desperately want to move closer to the city where we both work, have all of our friends and family, but can not sell our house for what we owe. We keep putting...

What can we do about our upside down mortgage? [ 9 Answers ]

We are one of those unfortunate family that bought a house in 06 when they were high. Now 2 1/2 years later our property value has dropped, so we owe more than its worth. We are also unfortunate because we don't qualify for anything having to do with the bailout. We are current on payments, my ...

When should I walk away from my upside down mortgage? [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a townhouse in 2001 for $115,000. Later in that same year, I lost my job due to a merger. I refinanced in 2004 and the mortgage was then taken over by Homecomings Financial and now I have one of those sub-prime loans you hear about these days. At one point the lender began foreclosure...

Upside Down [ 1 Answers ]

Everything in my computer is upside down how do I fix it?

Upside down screen [ 1 Answers ]

My son was typing on the keypad and magically turned my screen upside down. How do I fix it?

View more questions Search