Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Acook11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2010, 10:48 PM
    How to solve for an implicit interest rate for a series of cash flows?
    Someone pays your $8000 for a 2-year structured settlement of $5000 each year for the next year and the year after that.

So each cash flow would be
    (each is 1 year)
    CF 0 = $8000
    CF 1 = -$5000 (negative because you don't get it)
    CF 2 = -$5000 (negative as well because you don't get it)

How do you solve for an implicit interest rate without using a finance calculator and solving for an IRR
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

May 3, 2010, 11:26 PM

I think you can use the math tables for ordinary or future annuity.
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

May 4, 2010, 04:32 AM
    As a general "go-to" option, a set of tables as mentioned by Rehmanvohra can get you to a good approximation for most annuities, fairly efficiently.

In a situation such as yours--with only two future cash flows--there's an algebraic approach which nails the precise answer, whether the CFs form an annuity or not.

Note that finding the internal return amounts to finding that rate r which sets the NPV of the CF sequence to zero; i.e...

Kinduva funny-looking way to set up a standard NPV format, but I did it that way intentionally, because if we let x fill in for [1 / (1+r)], it morphs to

Now you've got a good ol' fashioned quadratic that you can solve for x using your weapon of choice (quadratic formula; completing the square). Don't forget to then solve for r, after having found x.

Also keep in mind that one of the quadratic's roots may imply r < 0, which you can disregard as being not applicable to the physical situation at hand.
    Acook11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2010, 08:24 AM

Thanks a lot really appreciate it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to find initial investment with cash flows and rate of return [ 2 Answers ]

There is an opportunity to invest in a 2 year project with cash flows of $100,000 in year one and $200,000 in year two. The required rate of return is 20% and the question wants to know the maximum amount you should be willing to initially invest The answer is $222,100 but I can't figure out how...

How do I solve for the interest rate I have price and number of periods [ 2 Answers ]

How do I solve for interest rate? I have the fair market price the number of years and the down payment amount and the amount to be paid semiannually

Compare effective interest rate to compound rate [ 1 Answers ]

Compare effective interest rate to compound rate, with example of compound rate

Nominal Rate of Interest vs Real Interest Rate [ 1 Answers ]

I need to find for the real rate of Interest?? Nominal Rate of Interest 7.4% and Inflations is 4.5% K = k* + I + (k*x I) 7.4 = k* + 4.5% + (k* x 4.5%) I am trying to find for k*:confused: HELP>>>>

Solve implicit differetiation [ 2 Answers ]

Please solve this question

View more questions Search