Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 10, 2022, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Pre-K???
    No, regular education kindergarten! That is not a part of my job description!
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2022, 04:56 PM
    Wow. That’s just incredible. K students arriving in diapers!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 10, 2022, 05:24 PM
    Wow. That’s just incredible. K students arriving in diapers!
    Huggies Pull-Ups are very handy for lazy parents.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2022, 06:24 PM
    I was an elem. principal for 16 years. I never recall us having to potty train a K student. It's just craziness.
    Education Expert

Jun 11, 2022, 07:24 AM
    I was an elem. principal for 16 years. I never recall us having to potty train a K student. It's just craziness.
    I’ve been teaching for more than 25 years—high school, middle school, and now elementary. No kidding, 9 weren’t potty trained. Accidents in class, at recess, PE, etc. Who was blamed? Me! The parents claimed it was my fault because their child couldn’t wait in the restroom line. Lazy parents, yes! Is this the new normal? I hope not.
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2022, 08:19 AM
    Parents more and more do not want to discipline their children. I am noticing this with our 18 month old granddaughter. Her parents can tell her "no", and maybe she will listen and maybe not. I assure you that she listens to me. It's in learning how to use your tone of voice.

When you say they were not potty trained, do you mean they were still in diapers, or do you mean they were having "accidents"? Accidents I can understand. A five year old in diapers is just crazy.
    Education Expert

Jun 12, 2022, 01:00 PM
    Pull-ups for a few. The rest had 4-5 accidents a day. That is not potty trained. An occasional accident I can understand, but 9 did this multiple times daily. That’s not normal.
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2022, 01:17 PM
    Wow. I can only say you are a trooper. School teachers should never be responsible for having to clean up bathroom accidents. Children in pullups at five years old is just crazy.

If I was still a principal, I'd hire you!!
    Education Expert

Jun 13, 2022, 06:50 AM
    Wow. I can only say you are a trooper. School teachers should never be responsible for having to clean up bathroom accidents. Children in pullups at five years old is just crazy.

If I was still a principal, I'd hire you!!
    Aww, thank you! Only one parent thought their child wasn’t potty trained! The rest were angry. Unfortunately, there was less teaching time because of all the behaviors and lack of parental support. Teachers are retiring and quitting. We are tired! Today’s parents are making it difficult to teach. I’m very worried about this generation, and I am not alone.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 13, 2022, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    I’m very worried about this generation, and I am not alone.
    When I taught pre-K, my prime efforts were teaching social skills -- being quiet while another person spoke, sitting quietly while being read to, raising one's hand to ask a question or say something, standing quietly and patiently when in line, saying please and thank you as appropriate, patiently waiting for one's turn, and so much more that -- and, like you are thinking, don't seen to be the social norm any longer.
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2022, 08:50 AM
    Teachers are retiring and quitting. We are tired! Today’s parents are making it difficult to teach. I’m very worried about this generation, and I am not alone.
    I guess it depends on where you are. In my time, I didn't see much degradation of student behavior, and academic performance actually improved some due, I think, to the demands of state testing. But I do understand that's not the case everywhere and I have no trouble believing it. I enjoyed my career as much the last year as I did the first. Wish I could go back to it. Might try to get something part-time next year.
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2022, 01:53 PM
    But I won't be potty training kids. That's amazing.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2022, 02:06 PM
    But I won't be potty training kids. That's amazing.
    You are teaching Kindergarten. Six of your students haven't been properly potty trained and are being unmercifully teased and bullied by their classmates (who are most likely being encouraged to do so by their parents). Now what?
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2022, 02:18 PM
    Honestly, I never even had one that wasn't potty trained and that included pre-K. I imagine I'd tell the parent to take their child home until he/she is potty trained. And I say that as a principal and not so much as the teacher. I guess I'd check out our district policy manual and see where we stood in that regard.

That does not include the occasional accident. Those are to be expected, but several times a day is a completely different issue. If the parent is willing to be helpful, then I suppose we'd try to work out something though I'm not sure what it would be. As to being "unmercifully" teased, we just didn't allow that. I would have one talk with the kids doing the teasing and that would end it. That happened many times. It was not hard to stop.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2022, 02:28 PM
    I imagine I'd tell the parent to take their child home until he/she is potty trained.
    I'd meet with the parents at their home and help them learn how.
    As to being "unmercifully" teased, we just didn't allow that. I would have one talk with the kids doing the teasing and that would end it. That happened many times. It was not hard to stop.
    Stop when you re around. but not when you aren't.
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2022, 02:33 PM
    I'd meet with the parents at their home and help them learn how.
    Except that, in Jenn's case, the parents said it was the teacher's problem.

Stop when you re around. but not when you aren't.
    So there were times when you allowed your students to be unsupervised??? At any rate, we handled it MANY times successfully. Students did not want to have to see me after I had told them I expected it to stop.

When I was a teacher, I knew what was happening in my room. I knew what was going on at lunch. The only "holes" in my supervision were at recess when teachers alternated, and when students were walking in line from point A to point B. Teachers should never walk in front of the line, but should walk at the rear so you can see. I hadn't learned that at that point in my career.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2022, 02:42 PM
    Except that, in Jenn's case, the parents said it was the teacher's problem.
    Thus, problem solve with the parents.
    So there were times when you allowed your students to be unsupervised??? At any rate, we handled it MANY times successfully. Students did not want to have to see me after I had told them I expected it to stop.

When I was a teacher, I knew what was happening in my room. I knew what was going on at lunch. The only "holes" in my supervision were at recess when teachers alternated, and when students were walking in line from point A to point B. Teachers should never walk in front of the line, but should walk at the rear so you can see. I hadn't learned that at that point in my career.
    I couldn't be in both bathrooms at once or walking to and from school with them or be with them on weekends or riding the bus with them.
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2022, 03:01 PM
    I couldn't be in both bathrooms at once or walking to and from school with them or be with them on weekends or riding the bus with them.
    Bathrooms are easy. Don't let the persecuted in at the same time as the persecutors. Buses can be a problem for sure, but in our case it was very unlikely that the persecutor and the persecuted would ride the same bus. If they did, then the driver was told they were not to sit together. And, of course, the offending child knew he would have to face me if he did not straighten up. As I said, it was a problem that we solved MANY times by simply working together and all of us doing our part.

Thus, problem solve with the parents.
    Good luck. In the meantime, it will be your job, maybe for months, to clean up messy pants and hope the student has a clean pair.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2022, 03:21 PM
    And, of course, the offending child knew he would have to face me if he did not straighten up.
    Ah, the punitive type. Nope, not how I would have handled it.
    Good luck. In the meantime, it will be your job, maybe for months, to clean up messy pants and hope the student has a clean pair.
    Not at all. The parents and I would have worked happily together. After all, a potty-trained kid would have certainly simplified THEIR lives as well as mine.
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2022, 04:15 PM
    Ah, the punitive type. Nope, not how I would have handled it.
    It works, unlike what we are doing now. Don't believe that? Ask Jenn.

Perhaps the difference between us is that I actually WAS a principal and had to keep a lid on an entire school. You have happy theories. Well, good for you and I wish you well. I am perfectly happy with the approach I used successfully at five different schools.

Hebrews 12:6. Amplified Bible FOR THE LORD DISCIPLINES and CORRECTS THOSE WHOM HE LOVES, AND HE PUNISHES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES and WELCOMES [TO HIS HEART].”

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vocational education [ 1 Answers ]

What is vocational education

Vocational training for felons [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 years experience fighting wildland fires I want to continue with this trade but I'm having a problem getting past the "felon" part & or to pay for the training

CSU or Vocational? [ 0 Answers ]

I don't know what to do or where to start. Basically I'm deciding between earning my associates in a vet tech program at a vocational school or my bachelors at a CSU for animal science pre vet (I've already been accepted and welcome to attend for both). The CSU is an hour or 2 away while the other...

Chenier vocational school? [ 1 Answers ]

I attend Chenier Vocational school of nursing,I finish in 1994 and I wanted to get my transcrit from them but they are no longer in houston. So how do I go about getting it.

View more questions Search