Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dod_wow2000 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2005, 10:31 PM
    Pass word
    Hello Experts,
    I want to make a password for my PC, to prevent anyone use the computer during I'm not exciting,so can anyone help on this.
    Thanks
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2005, 04:30 AM
    There are lots of ways of setting a password on your PC. You can either have a password on your PC startup (via the BIOS), your operating system can password protect access and you can just set passwords on certain files etc.

For what you need, you'll probably want to just have Windows deal with this. What versions of Windows do you have? Check under Control Panel for something similar to "User Accounts", find the account you use to logon and set a password for it. Also, go into your display properties, screen saver tab and check the "password protection" box - this means that if you walk away and your screensaver comes on, you'll have to enter a password to gain access to the PC.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2005, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dod_wow2000
    Hello Experts,
    I want to make a password for my PC, to prevent anyone use the computer during I'm not exciting,so can anyone help on this.
    Thanks
    The one thing you left out here is the most important, your version of Windows. If you are using Win XP, then create a User account with a password. Set your screen saver to come on after a short period of inactivity and to require a password to return. However, if you have Win 9x (95, 98 or Me) then that is almost no security at all as it is easily passed. In that case, then I would go with a power up password set in your CMOS settings. But that means you have to power off your PC when you leave it.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2005, 06:29 AM
    Password
    Hi,
    What is your windows version, like XP, 2000, 98, etc?
    I can then give you step by step instructions on how to set up a Password so you will be the only one who can use your computer.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    dod_wow2000 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2005, 10:18 PM
    Password
    Hello Experts,
    I used win "Xp" a new ver called FD
    Thanks
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2005, 04:14 AM
    There is no new version of Windows called "FD" - FD is a modified version of Windows XP to add some extra software. It's not related to Microsoft in anyway. Using that version without licenses for the various bits of software is illegal but I'm sure know that so I'll continue.

For Windows XP it's easy

• Click on Start >> Control Panel
    • Double click on "User Accounts"
    • Select your username from those shown
    • There will be an option to change/set your password - use that.
    • OK the changes and return to the control panel
    • Double click on "Display"
    • Select the screensaver tab
    • Ensure that the password protection box is checked.

You can now also use the Windows key (between CTRL & ALT) and L to lock your computer. That or CTRL+ALT+DEL, then choose "Lock computer".
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 16, 2005, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dod_wow2000
    I used win "Xp" a new ver called FD
    I had never heard of Win XP FD so I did some research. As LT said this is an ILLEGAL pirated version version of XP. Even if you have a valid license for the software, its still illegal.

May I suggest you remove it and put back your legal copies (assume you have them). By the way, this version isn't new, its uses SP1 (not SP2). Microsoft is cracking down on these pirated versions so you may not be able to update it soon.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2005, 08:29 AM
    Password
    Hi,
    Another way to set a password is through the BIOS.
    You can access it following the steps below.
    If you do, DO NOT FORGET YOUR PASSWORD.

The following is step-by-step for entering the computer's CMOS/BIOS computer settings.
    Newer computers use the F1, or either F2, or either Delete, or either the Esc key. After re-boot or startup, immediately press down one of these keys, hold down for about 2 seconds, release, they press down for 2 seconds. Continue until it either goes into the settings window, or boots to windows.
    If it boots to windows, then shutdown or restart, and try the same thing with one of the other keys.
    Older computers use a combination of keys, such as Ctrl Alt Esc, (holding down all three keys at the same time), or Ctrl Alt Shift, or Ctrl Alt Delete.
    A Del computer uses DEL key.

After you get to the settings screen, the right hand side of the screen gives instructions on how to navigate around,; such as "the arrow keys" move up and down, or right and left. Esc key takes you back a step back. etc.

To set a password: Use the arrow keys to scroll to the Security menu at top.
    Then, set a password (DON'T FORGET IT).
    After finishing, just press Esc, and following the directions to either "Save" or "Cancel" (without saving), returning to the normal booting-up process.

Best wishes,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Win xp pro admin pass [ 2 Answers ]

I changed my admin password and then I didn't use my computer for a while and now I can't remember it, but I don't want to have to reboot and loose all my stuff. I got to safe mode but then I needed to know the password to disable the password and make a new one.? Is there a way for me to just...

Help me to pass the road test [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first time to writing someplace to get help. The problem I am having May be is not a big issue in your eyes, but please help me. I am trying to get A driving license. as millions of people are driving. I feel so embarrassed as I still don't have my license so I can drive freely...

Do enzymes pass ? [ 18 Answers ]

I was at the health food store today and saw a bottle of "systemic enzymes" The enzyme is Nattokinase does anyone here know if this passes trough your intestines to get into your blood stream. If I remember my biology enzymes do not pass trough your intestines Does this one pass into your blood?

What Parents Should Remember And Pass On To Their Teens! [ 18 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I just found this super article for you who want to help your teens learn a healthy way about sex. Please pass this on to your fellow parents, because this is such an ongoing and important issue that it is noteworthy. Copy and paste it to Notepad and print it. It will refresh your...

Adding a word and its meaning to Word Dictionary [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I know how to add a word to the existing system dictionary in MS Office 2002. Now I need to know how to add a meaning to the new word which I added into the dictionary. Can anyone suggest the procedure. Thanks in advance. SAI

View more questions Search