Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abbrxx Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Ongoing left groin and leg pain
    I have pain in the left groin area that moves up and down between my left mid-shin, across the top of my left thigh and into the left groin. It has been checked several times over time and now I am having a real problem. In the prone position, I have relatively good movemnet of legs etc, I cannot however turn over in bed or lean back in a sitting position without pain. The chiroprator has checked for the sciatic connection but the stretching and movemnet feels very good actually. The pain starts in left groin and goes to outside midcalf of left leg beside the shin bone with some residual pain in left buttock area and lower back (minor). I am currently being treated by a chiropractor and now massage therapist but the pain is not subsiding. I take several advil daily as well as celebrex on a regualr basis. None of the meds I have tried seem to help. I am most comfortable right now with an ice pack on my left shin with my leg up and supported with a pillow or blanket, as soon as I move from this position, the pain starts in midcalf and moves up to groin area(very quickly) which then causes my left leg and groin area to become the primary cause of my discomfort. Walking is difficult to say the least as the pain causes me to wear out very quickly (5-10mins). I cannot lift my left leg by myself without support from my hands. This has been a severe problem now since the 17th of December. I drove about 800 kilometres in the space of 2 days, with no pain anywhere!! I got home, started to decorate the tree and the next day was virtually unable to get out of bed without considerable pain and struggling. Hope I have provided enough info. For someone to give me some idea of what to do next. Thanks.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 1, 2007, 04:09 PM
    I understand you are seeing a chiropractor, but this could be more serious and you should be evaluated by a physician.

You drove quite a way and I would like you to get checked out to make sure you do not have DVT (deep vein thrombosis) which can be a very serious and life threatening condition.

Please contact your physician at once.
    noel07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2009, 04:47 PM
    Hello,

I am wondering if you had a diagnosis for your leg pain. I am experiencing very similar symptoms. I had an x-ray about a month ago and nothing came of it. In the meantime the pain continues. I hope you are feeling better.

Jan 24, 2009, 05:24 PM
    Hi Noel,
    I did find out what the problem was... very simple fix if attended to right away. I was having piriformis spasms, which were pinching my sciatic nerve. I went to a massage therapist and with some intense work we fixed it up, needed quite a few sesssions as not only was the piriformis involved but another one in the groin had become involved too. A good massage therapist will know which other one... the "soraz" or something like that gets in there too to further cause more pain! Hope this helps and just so you know, this can be a one time fix if you don't leave it for a long time to worsen... BTW, the piriformis is in your butt cheek... :) I decided mine was caused from sitting in my puter chair for too long at a time and bought me a doughnut to sit on... much better now!!
    Be safe
    noel07 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Thank you!! I am wondering if the massage therapist knew right away that that was the correct diagnosis. I have had my pain for five months. My right leg started aching on Thursday. On Friday night I started thinking that the cause of the pain was from the bar stool that I sit on at work. I own a small clothing store and I brought from home a bar stool 6 months ago, to put behind my counter so I could sit when it is slow. When I sit on it my legs are either crossed or hanging down. So yesterday, I stood all day. Never sitting and my right leg is perfect. I bet after reading your response it is my bar stool. I also wanted to ask you did it hurt when you walk? I do not have any problem walking in fact, I almost forget about my pain until I pivot or move a certain way and then it is paralyzing pain down my leg. And at night it throbs and if I shift my leg or turn my body the pain shoots down again. I hope what I have is what you had because my doctor mentioned arthritis to me but nothing was shown in the x-ray. I was thinking it was some horrible circulation problem like deep vein thrombosis or something else/worse. I am going to buy a donut or a different stool. You have helped me so much!!
    Thank you very much.
    Noel

Jan 25, 2009, 02:12 PM

Hi Noel,
    Glad I could help... get to the massage therapist right away for reflief though. Tell the therapist that the problem is the piriformis and they can make a quick checkand easily confirm it and treat it too!! I had pain walking, sitting , sleeping... all the time!! The donut seems to prevent another incidient of it though, takes the pressure off the area where the piriformis is located. Have an awesome day.. be safe.
    Nicole
    ottjudy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2010, 07:38 PM
    Hi I have pain in my let at the top joint that started as lower left sided back pain that hurt mostly when I got up and down. Now it hurts more so when I walk. It is getting worse and worse. It kind of goes over into my groin area. What can I do. I am on Naproxin and Ranitidine because the Naproxin upsets my stomach. What can I do
    brentschn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2011, 02:43 PM
    I had the same thing happen. Pain started in my theigh and then moved up to my groin. It didn't feel like a ham string pull, and I was concerned it might be a hernia. Being in the prone position was OK, it was just getting in and out of bed that was killing me. Three days later, with heat pads, wrapping the leg, and aspiron each day, the pain finally subsided. I'm wondering if it wasn't a blood clot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain in lower left abdomen [ 4 Answers ]

I have been having pains in my lower left abdomen where my ovaries are. When I sit down, walk, have sex, even move wrong. What could cause this?

Pain in left arm [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know what I have but I was hoping someone might help I'm over weight, My left arm and leg have a pain in them sometimes, and I haven't had my period in months. ( I've never had sex so it's not something to do with that)

My Dog seems to have leg pain [ 7 Answers ]

I have a nine year old boxer and every now and then he holds his leg up like it's giving him a lot of discomfort. The vet gave him a few pills once that cost over$100.00 but didn't help the problem a bit. I hear it's common in big dogs but I'm wondering if anybody can tell me how to take care of...

Pain in the groin area [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have pain in the groin area and down the inside of my leg, mostly when I get up after I sit a long time. I have to stand still a few seconds for the pain to go away before I take a step. Someone said I could need hip replacement. I have gained a good bit of weight and my stomach is large, so...

Pain in lower left groin [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone I am 22 years old and have never had a regular period. I can't even remember the last time I had a natural period. But my concern at this moment is that I have a pain on my lower left groin area that I have had for about 2 months now and it seems to be getting worse. Its kindof...

View more questions Search