Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    windancer18 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 06:08 PM
    Bird question
    OK hey you I have a bird, a gold-capped conure and lately he's been acting weird like he up-chucks a lot I mean I know birds do that to like other birds and to feed and stuff but I've had my bird for 5-6 years and he's never done it this much for the past week every morning and night even during the day he does it and its kind of gross and I hate finding it on my clothes and on my bed why is he doing this so much and when will he stop? :confused:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 23, 2006, 06:23 PM
    Are you giving him "gravel" for his gullett? He may be having a hard time swallowing.

Are you feeding him anything different?

Aug 23, 2006, 06:26 PM
    No I've been feeding him the same thing nothing new that's why I don't understand
    Expert

Aug 23, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Any new birds or anyone new in the family?

I have a blue front Amazon and an african grey. They tend to have problems if there is anyone new in my life.

Aug 23, 2006, 06:29 PM
    You I understand what your saying there is no one new we have 7 animals but they have all lived together for at least 6 years together.
    Expert

Aug 23, 2006, 06:31 PM
    Time for a vet I think...

How old is your bird?

Has there been a great weather change?

Aug 23, 2006, 06:33 PM
    Now that I think about it it started around the time I went back to school but my bird has never done this when I've gone back in the past although for some reason my bird has gotten so tight with me like it won't even let me out of his sight

Aug 23, 2006, 06:34 PM
    My bird is around 7 years old and no weather changes its always super hot around this time of year here
    Expert

Aug 23, 2006, 06:35 PM
    He/She may have some jealousy issues.

I have to deal with that from time to time.

Funny how brids can be as attached as humans.

Aug 23, 2006, 06:38 PM
    You my bird is so jealous even with my mom. But how would that suddenly affect his behavior since he has lived with her for so long because he has never done this this much I must admit though he has never been to the vet I hate that I always ask my mom but she just keeps telling me either there arnt any good bird vets here or we don't have the money or she's too busy I know that's bad think something is seriously wrong with him?
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Aug 27, 2006, 11:23 PM
    Your bird should be taken to a veterinarian since his symptoms indicate illness.

Excerpt:

Home Care

If your bird is vomiting, veterinary attention is needed. Immediate attention is necessary if any other symptoms are present in addition to vomiting, or if your bird is unable to keep any food down. In the meantime, keep your bird in a warm environment if his feathers appear fluffed up. If possible, bring the cage to the veterinarian's office with the bird, along with any toys he may have chewed.

After seeing your veterinarian, be sure to give all medication as directed, for as long as directed, even after the symptoms appear to be gone. Watch for a change in the droppings, and report any changes to your veterinarian. If improvement is not seen, report this to your veterinarian.

By: Dr. Barbara Oglesbee
    http://www.petplace.com/Articles/art...=1&conID=22280
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

May 25, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by windancer18
    ok hey ya i have a bird, a gold-capped conure and lately he's been acting weird like he up-chucks a lot i mean i know birds do that to like other birds and to feed and stuff but ive had my bird for 5-6 years and he's never done it this much for the past week every morning and night even during the day he does it and its kinda gross and i hate finding it on my clothes and on my bed why is he doing this so much and when will he stop??:confused:
    2 questions for this one,

The first is what does the sick contain? Does it contain whole pieces of seed?
    If it does take it t the vets A.S.A.P

If it doesn't then the chances are you have a love sick bird, when a bird choses its mate it will regurgitate food, the food will not be whole more of like a mash of chewed up seed, he will then try and feed you or feed things it associates with you if you are not their , hence finding it all over your things..

Hope all goes well at the vets
    If the vomit does contain whole seed then you are in trouble as this is a sign of a very sick bird that can go downhill fast.. and is usually one of the signs f an illness known as PDD proventricular dialation disease.. other wise known as macaw wasting disease (do not underestimate this name it is known in other birds not just limited to macaws ;)

Katie
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 26, 2007, 08:39 PM
    This doesn't sound good because I have also owned conures and cockatiels and they have not vommited at all unless they were sick. This is absolutely not normal and you need to get him to the vet right away. Get a syringe and handfeed him a little water so that he doesn't become to dehydrated and you may have to handfeed him bird formula if he stops eating. He may just vommit it right back up and it may become worse but you need to take him to an avain vet right away. If you give me the area in which you live I can look up some good avain vets for you. You can probably find some that will let you make payments if you can't afford to pay the bill all at once but it would be best if you get your bird to the vet asap. Although by chance this could be normal, I would not take a chance if you love your bird. I know how it feels to lose a bird and it is more painful than losing other animals most likely you will blame yourself if something happens.
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

May 27, 2007, 02:26 AM
    I have just realised this post is from August 2006 :o

In which case how was your bird and did you take him the vets ?

Katie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bird [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have 2 birds (budgies) and they have been really healthy. However, over the past few weeks my female bird has been wheezing and sneezing quite a bit. It's almost like she is having a tough time breathing. Oddly enough, she is still eating normally, hasn't lost weight and still has quite a bit...

Bird flu [ 6 Answers ]

Hi again everyone, I live in England, and I am really worried about bird flu. In England there is just one confirmed case, but what I don't understand is how serious this is. Could this disease spread to humans. Tonight they were saying in the news if the disease spread to humans then they...

Tweety Bird [ 6 Answers ]

I feel sort of weird asking this but my friends and I are debating if Tweety Bird is a boy or a girl... does anyone know? Lol. Thanks... :D

Bird flu [ 1 Answers ]

Hi There was a program about bird flu few days back that made me really scared, and I searched the inter net about it and I got scared even more , now Im thinking about it all the time , it even started to affect my sleep , it like that thinking about it and screded from it is over whelming, is...

Bird Flu [ 1 Answers ]

What is avian influenza (bird flu)? Bird flu is an infection caused by avian (bird) influenza (flu) viruses. These flu viruses occur naturally among birds. Wild birds worldwide carry the viruses in their intestines, but usually do not get sick from them. However, bird flu is very contagious...

View more questions Search