Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fatmuffin Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 12:22 AM
    How do I remove an old shower stem that looks round with two sides flat sides?
    I have a leaky shower head and I can't remove the old shower stem with the conventional six sided stem socket because the stem is round with two flat sides. I can't use a normal wrench because it is too far inside the wall. What can I do?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 04:09 AM

Hi Fatmuffin:

Open up the hole a little larger if needed and then take a 1/2" drive DEEP SOCKET of the correct size and slide it over the rounded stem assembly. The neck of the stem will stick through the opening in the back of the socket.

Once you have a good grip on the stem take a wrench and bite onto the socket and loosen that stem. That should loosen this up for you.

Let us know how you make out...

Mark
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2010, 06:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    take a 1/2" drive DEEP SOCKET of the correct size and slide it over the rounded stem assembly.
    To add a bit to Marks post a set of deep socket wrenches designed for faucet removal,(see image) can be purchased at any plumbing supply house. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 07:20 AM

Hey Tom... :)

Fatmuffin said he tried the six-sided wrenches already... why I suggested the deep socket.

Chat soon...

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2010, 07:33 AM

Thanks Mark,
    I missed that. Put it off to od age and mad cow disease. Cheers, tom
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Mar 26, 2010, 09:02 AM

Could be more help if you posted a pic or told us the brand name
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 04:31 PM

Hi CHayn:

I'm willing to bet that Fatmuffin is talking about an older style two or three handle valve like in my picture below.

Hopefully, Fatmuffin will pop back in and let us know more here... ;)

Welcome to AMHD...

Mark
    Attached Images

Mar 26, 2010, 07:58 PM

Sorry guys, having trouble uploading the picture. Still new to the site. You are right, it is a very old shower with many knobs. Here is what it looks like.

Mar 26, 2010, 07:59 PM
    Sorry guys, I'm still having trouble with uploading the picture.

Mar 26, 2010, 08:15 PM

I hope it works this time.

Mar 26, 2010, 08:34 PM

One more thing, I do not know the make or model of these parts. I was able to remove the hexagon nut but that was just a chrome cover that went over the brass stem. Here is another picture of the whole assembly.

Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 05:53 AM
    Hi Fatmuffin...

Although nice to have the pictures they really weren't needed... ;) Use the 1/2" drive extra deep socket I suggested, put a wrench on it and you should be able to remove the stem assembly easily. Extra deep sockets are sold individually at all home improvement stores... buy a few different sizes and return the unused ones.

Once you get the stem out take it to a plumbing supply house... they should be able to identify the brand and get you a new one.

Good luck...

Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 07:34 AM

Mark
    I don't think a socket is going to work. Any socket that is large enough to fit over the rounded shoulders will not engage the flats.

What I would do is buy a set of tub faucets wrenches. Find one that fits over the rounded shoulders. If it fits snugly use it. If it fits loosely choose the next size down.

Put the end of it in a vise and squeeze two sides down to fit the flats. As you squeeze two sides down the other sides will open up. Don't over compress, if you get it too small, you will never get it open again.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 07:54 AM
    Hi Harold...

I see your point. I should have mentioned that he may need to "gently" hammer the socket onto the stem assembly. This exact tactic has worked for me many times with these rounded/square headed stems... ;)

I also think your idea has merit, but am thinking that the this metal of the squeezed sides will just bend away as Fatmuffin turns the wrench. Certainly worth a try, however, for sure!

Good day all...

Mark

Mar 28, 2010, 11:46 PM

Hey guys,

I had tried the deep socket before and one problem was that the socket was not deep enough, the brass stem was about 4-5" long and the tip of the stem was bigger than the square hole at the back of the socket. The other issue with the socket would be that it will not bite down on the turn.

Harold,

Oddly enough, I had tried a similar technique with the flattening of a round pipe. It literally came to me in a dream because I was so obsessed with the problem. I had attained a 1" pipe(inner diameter) and had flattened it to fit the flat sides(3/4" width) and when I tried to turn the nut, it rounded the pipe back. Maybe the one inch pipe was too big because when I flattened the sides, the height of the pipe became a lot longer and didn't hug the nut. Another possibility might be the pipe was too thin. I will probably try a smaller and stronger pipe next. This is what I made:

I want to thank you guys and I really appreciate your thought and time.

Fatmuffin

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I flat-frame (2x4) 2 sides of a shower stall that will be tiled? [ 11 Answers ]

Need so save room by flat-framing two sides for my shower stalls. Will flat framing hold tile and hardibacker rigid enough?

Remove shower stem [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to remove the shower stem, the cold. I purchased the shower tools, and it fit the nut, but it won't budge, when I get it turning it is not losing the stem, mereloy stripping the socket. What help can you offer. It is a price pfister 3 handle shower

Brass Shower Stem Not able to remove [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I have a leaky tub/shower faucet. I'm trying to replace the washers/orings, but I can't seem to get the inner brass stem bonnet nut off. I've bought the 5 piece stem socket tools, but none seem to fit. One comes close to fitting, but when I try to get leverage on it, it slips....

Shower leak out sides of bath and hall [ 5 Answers ]

Our shower stall sits on a concrete slab, typical of 40 yr. old Hawaii houses. It is tiled. I have just noticed that the grout on the bath and hallway tile looks wet. The shower sits between. It is coming from the plumbing wall. The inside base has been caulked and I can't find any cracks. A...

View more questions Search