Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chipstakk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Differnce between neutral grounding and separated grounding
    What is the difference between neutral and separate grounding?? Why and when do you defer between them?? Basically why do we ground, what's its purpose and what are the differences between the varying methods.

I hope I don't sound dumb but the US NAVY nuclear electrical school didn't teach me apparently LOL
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2009, 04:47 AM
    This is a complex issue to answer briefly.

A neutral is a return for a circuit, and is grounded at the panelboard and utility transformer, so that only one wire of a circuit is live.

However, a grounded neutral is a current carrying conductor, since it is the return for a circuit. You can touch it and not feel a shock, but the current being drawn by the circuit can be measured flowing through the conductor.

If you break, or open, an active neutral conductor, you can measure 120 volts across the two neutral conductors, so touching both or a grounded surface will result in a shock.

A "ground" is technically referred to as a equipment grounding conductor (EGC), intended to connect any metal raceway and any exposed metal of an appliance or device, and only carrys current during a ground fault condition.

It is often called a "safety" ground, as it is there for the sole purpose of conducting any voltage imposed on a exposed metal to ground.

If an appliance fails and the live wire inside shorts to the metal frame, the ground allows the ground fault voltage to drain, so to speak. An equipment grounding conductor must have low impedance to allow current to flow quickly and high, so the overcurrent protection device, AKA fuse or circuit breaker, opens, or trips, thereby removing the dangerous condition of a live metal frame.

There is much misconception that a neutral, because it is grounded, is a ground. And then misconception gets carried over to the EGC that since an EGC is grounded, it is a neutral.

Each conductor has it's specific purpose, and must be kept separated in all electrical boxes, outlets, devices, and the two are only connected together at a specific location in a building's electrical system, typically at the Main Service Disconnecting Means, or Main Switch. This is where the neutral, EGC and grounding electrode conductor all connect.

If a neutral wire gets connected to a EGC anywhere in a building, there is a potential for sending current thruout a building's grounding system, and at any location something is not grounded properly a potential of shock hazard, or arcing due to loose connections.

Like I said, a complex issue to explain in a few words. Hope I got my point across. There is a wealth of information, diagrams, etc, on the web for you to review for a more detailed explanation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding Bar vs. Neutral Bar? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all. I have extended the wires from an unused 240 outlet to the backyard for a spa via a sub-panel. I also hooked up a new grounding electrode near it to avoid having to run a fourth wire all the way back to the main panel. This fourth wire goes to the small grounding bar in the sub-panel...

Subpanel Grounding Rods and Neutral Bar [ 7 Answers ]

My main service panel is installed in a detached garage. Our new home is fed by a subpanel run underground from the garage. At the garage panel I have two ground rods and the neutral bar and ground bar in the panel are connected. At the house subpanel location do I need additional ground rods...

Grounding/neutral meter box and panel [ 1 Answers ]

I'm istalling a 100 amp service in the yard w/meter for the lake equip. The pole will have 3 conductors from the power transformer to the meter box (neutral an two hots). The ground wire from the ground rod connects at the meter box at the same lugs as the neutral? Yes? Or to the meter box...

Why is the grounding and neutral bus bar connected in the sub panel? [ 1 Answers ]

I had an electrician come in and install a new sub panel in my house and wire up my kitchen. When he finished, I took it from there. Now that I have the rest of the house wired, its time to connect it all to the sub panel. Both the neutral bus bar and the ground bus bar (2 separate buses) seem to...

Grounding a GFI [ 1 Answers ]

I am using an existing wire that was used for a dryer. I have changed the breakers to 2-20 amp single pole breakers and am splitting the line to make two 110volt GFI outlets for a whirlpool tub (1 for pump and 1 for heater). I have a red, white, and black wires, however, there is no bare copper...

View more questions Search