Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2009, 07:24 AM
    Water problems?
    For the longest time we could not get our pleco (algae eater) to live. We had seriously boughten 14 of them in the last year. We finally got one that's survived. Then our goldfish got finrot and we lost all of them the last two we lost to old age. Only lost one to finrot. We did what the petstore said to do to clean and strealize the tank to be sure the bacteria are gone. We now have guppies. We started with 6 females and 4 males. We have now lost 1 of each with no signs of fin rot or anything. We've found one on the bottom of the tank and one stuck to the filter. We treat the water and everything and clean it often so we don't know why we are losing them. We had them for over a month before they started dying. And the males we got from a friend who has wicked talent when it comes to fish . The females we got from the pet store.
    Does anyone know what is going on with them

Also we have very good well water that is tested each year not town water
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2009, 07:13 PM
    Even though you have well water, it might benefit the fish to use a water conditioner (if you don't already).
    Try using the product Cycle by Nutrafin for the first month after adding new fish. This will help stabilize the aquarium cycle and reduce the chance of losing fish.
    As a rule of thumb, too much cleaning of an aquarium and it's filter does more harm than good as it removes the beneficial bacteria that removes toxins from the water.
    Aquarium cycle
    Good luck to you!
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 04:58 AM

Well the tank isn't cleaned quite often. But I mean as often as it should. I think she cleans it once every few weeks. (it is my boyfriends parents tank but they don't know much about fish) one thing I think is the problem and I've been told it is but they won't believe us is that she shouldn't have two filters running in such a small tank. Its not big. More like 20 or 30 gallons or so
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 02:48 PM
    It's not bad to have more than one filter running at a time; however,
    If the two filters are creating very strong currents in the small tank, the fish could be wearing themselves out which could lead to stress and be causing their deaths.
    Look to see if the water is moving to fast in the tank, see if it looks like the fish are struggling to swim or getting pushed around by the currents.
    If they are, see if the filters have a water flow adjustment on them, if they do, turn the water to a slow flow, if not suggest that she remove one of the filters... tell her that it looks like the fish are having a hard time swimming due to the currents.
    Good Luck.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2009, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the helpful information aketrue. We do use water conditioner. I see I forgot to answer that lol sorry. I read your post and went to metion it to her and I had noticed she had removed one of her filters already. Seems that we had some baby fish over the weekend and she was scared they would be sucked up by the bigger filter (which honestly was for a tank MUCH bigger then the one we have)
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2009, 08:25 AM

Baby fish update... there are to be exact. TEN little baby fishes. All of which are alive and well and beginning to show color and gender. We have also not lost a single fish since the second filter was removed and they swim much easier
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2009, 01:19 PM

That's great news. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Heating no problems. Hot water downstairs no probs. Bathroom (upstares) when shower is on it run's hot and cold same with bathroom sink? (and lots of noise from pipes and boiler?? )

New hot water and problems [ 10 Answers ]

Hi Recently had a new gas water heater installed . THe old one was fine, but very old. The guy opened up all faucets when installing.After he left , my bathroom faucet would not shut off at all ( hot or cold) and was a trickle. He came back, said faucet is old, coincidence . Of course, that's...

Hot Water Cold Water problems [ 2 Answers ]

HELP! In our upstairs bathroom, we have a sink, and a stand up shower. This afternoon, only the hot water would run from the sink faucet, but nothing would come out in the shower. We wondered if the pipes were frozen because of the cold weather. This evening, we tried the tap and showers...

Water problems [ 4 Answers ]

I recently replaced the check valve and pressure switch on my pump and all is working fine except for my kitchen's water pressure is low but the pressure is good in both of my bathrooms. Any suggestions on what to do to fix this problem.

View more questions Search