Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    P S Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Charger causing problems
    I have had an interesting situation with my camera charger. The charger was plugged into an outlet in the bedroom and when I turned on the ceiling fan today, it was turning much slower than usual. I brought a desk fan into the room and it was turning slower too and on top of that, there was some sparking in one of the power outlets. The moment I removed the camera charger from the outlet, the fans (both) started working fine. The sparking stopped.

What was happening here? I'm an electrical engineer by education so can understand technical explanations.

Thanks,
    P.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 30, 2009, 08:35 PM

Remove the outlet and see if it was wired using the little quick connect holes in the back. These are notorious for developing poor connection after a period. If you find that the outlet was wired by "back stabbing", (technical term) remove wires and put under screws. Then do all of the rest of your outlets and switches. If you don't find "back stabing" look for other reasons for loose connections. Back stabbing doesn't usually cause sparking. If metal boxes were used make sure that all unused terminal screws are screwed in. Extended out they can some times make contact with the box if it is a small box.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 04:26 AM

May have been Intermittent, not a short, a short may have tripped the breaker. Making solid connections in sparking box will fix.

Jul 31, 2009, 06:00 AM

The problem is that sparking occurred in the outlet immediately outside the room in which the chargers and fan were in. I'm wondering if the charger was causing a short or at least a high current draw? Also, I think the fuses are a little out of spec for this portion of my house.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 06:05 AM

Its just loose connections, tightening should fix.

Jul 31, 2009, 06:12 AM

Thanks. How do we explain the fans?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 31, 2009, 07:49 AM

Loose connections mean more resistance, means slower speed. Loose connection is probably in neutral wire.

Jul 31, 2009, 08:34 AM

Your reply makes sense but I'm trying to understand why the loose connection happens when I plug in the charger into an outlet that is different from the ones giving out the sparks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 08:36 AM
    The load of the charger is passing through the loose connection at the other outlet.
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2009, 10:20 AM

If you have other lights that go bright when this happens, it could be a multicircuit(2 hots on opposite phases sharing the same neutral.
    Then it would likely be a neutral.
    I think it could be the Hot or the Neutral.
    bearcatk Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 03:18 PM

Your charger has probable got a short circuit
    Or maybe their power junction box to split the power is unbalanced
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2009, 10:18 PM

Have you tried it in other outlets?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red wire is causing me problems [ 1 Answers ]

I used to have a ceiling fan and I replaced it with a regular ceiling mount. All wires are connected except the red one. When I turn the light on it won't shut off. How do I fix this problem?

Ex causing problems [ 22 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend will be getting married next year. I will be making everything myself and already made the bridemaids dresses and will be working on mines after I give birth to our son. At first there was a diagreement with his mother regarding the color I choose for the dress, ice blue, but...

Plumming problems causing other problems [ 1 Answers ]

A lot of plumbers can probably replace a bath vanity, although not many of them would want to do a kitchen cabinet. A good handyman can probably do both. Not to discredit my fellow plumbers on the site. Also, most plumbers probably know a contractor who can do the cabinet. The best thing to do...

Co-worker causing problems [ 3 Answers ]

My co-worker on my shift has another supervisor other than my boss because they are engaged. I have no idea why she is angry with me other than she wants all the attention and insecurities with her relationship. It has come back from other workers in the business that she is asking them on...

View more questions Search