Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aznsoophat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 04:00 PM
    Payroll company witholding money from uncashed payroll check
    I have a payroll check that is about four years old and the payroll company says that they are in no way obligated to reissue me a check, and that the escheat laws only apply to government office jobs but that is not true. Who would I contact to help me on this problem?
    fhoss3634 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2009, 11:32 AM

Did you work for the payroll company?

Usually what happens when a company is using a payroll service - the check may be paid through their company (the payroll service) but when a check is not cashed the funds are returned to your firm to either pay the employee or escheat the funds to the state.

Did you contact your firm for payment?

If a check is not cashed for a period (depending on state law-- 1 to 3 years) the funds would be escheated to the state. All employers are reqired to submit funds to the state for unclaimed wages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ouickbooks payroll j/e, cash basis using a Payroll Co. [ 5 Answers ]

We use a payroll company to process our payroll. Each payroll they deduct the money for our taxes. If I enter the taxes as a payable, it messes up my books because the money is already deducted with the biweekly payroll. My quarterly reports did not match my QB files and I cannot figure out what...

Federal witholding tax from payroll [ 2 Answers ]

We live in North Carolina. My wife gets paid every 2 weeks from a private investigating firm of which she is the Office Manager. Her last 3-4 payroll checks did not include any Federal witholding tax which is good for us as her take home pay has increased BUT does this mean that she will be owing...

Uncashed payroll checks [ 1 Answers ]

When reconciling payroll, several checks were not cashed by an ex employee that we cannot get in touch with, what do we do?

Payroll check does not have appropriate tax deductions [ 5 Answers ]

I am a Tower Climber out of MA and my boss pays us with company checks yet they do not have any tax withholding information at all shown. He does take taxes out. Our payroll checks are referenced as a BILL. Also I have been paid 40 hour checks in 2 weeks when I have had over 100. This money was...

Better understanding my payroll check. [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how to figure out what is being taken out of my check for social security, Medicare and federal withholdings? I live in New Hampshire and I pulled the numbers which I thought where right from the internet and did my math. However the math I did compared to my paycheck doesn’t...

View more questions Search