Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nanar1975 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2006, 12:31 AM
    Child Support
    Hi, my husband has 2 kids from a previous marriage, we pay child support on time, which is 30% of my husbands net income. However his ex earns a lot more than he does and has a lot less financial responsibilities compared to us as she lives for free with her parents who take care of everything. We are in a lot of debt and could really do with the money that she gets. It is very frustrating as the kids have expensive new brand name shoes and clothes every time they visit and I have to put up with hand me downs from friends for my son. Does my husband have to keep paying knowing very well that the money pays for luxury for them where it could pay for necessities for us. How do we go about this? What does the law say? We live in Illinois. Thank you very much.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Sep 3, 2006, 01:47 PM
    If the documented salaries of either or both parents has changed significantly either way since the divorce where the terms of child support originated, then it may be wise to repetition the court for an adjustment.

But do not count on her personal circumstances -- "she lives for free with her parents who take care of everything" or your personal circumstances -- "we are in a lot of debt" factoring in. It is just about salary and who is the primary caretaker that mostly dictates the terms.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 3, 2006, 02:46 PM
    30 percent of his pay for two children is about right,

State law normally has it as a percentage or as a set amount. If your husbands pay has been reduced greatly since the rulling he can request it to be changed.

And basically the law says he has to pay child support if he is not the custodial parent. And 30 percent is not an excessive amount. Many pay far higher percentage.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2006, 07:10 PM
    Yes, whatever your husband was ordered to pay, he must pay it. Usually child support amounts are based on income so your husband should be paying an amount compatible with his income. Has there been a drastic reduction in your husband's income due to circumstances beyond his control since the initial order was established? Does Illinois periodically hit him with automatic cost-of-living increases that are out of proportion to the corresponding increases in his income? If either of these is true then you might have a case for a reduction in the amount of child support paid. If not, then unfortunately you just have to go on paying.
    sensualambiance Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Nov 5, 2006, 12:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nanar1975
    Hi, my husband has 2 kids from a previous marriage, we pay child support on time, which is 30% of my husbands net income. However his ex earns a lot more than he does and has a lot less financial responsibilities compared to us as she lives for free with her parents who take care of everything. We are in a lot of debt and could really do with the money that she gets. It is very frustrating as the kids have expensive new brand name shoes and clothes every time they visit and I have to put up with hand me downs from friends for my son. Does my husband have to keep paying knowing very well that the money pays for luxury for them where it could pay for necessities for us. How do we go about this? What does the law say? We live in Illinois. Thank you very much.
    I feel that it is still his responsibility to pay. You knew he had to pay this amount when you married him so now you have to share in the payments hey you married him. It shouldn't matter what she makes he still needs to do his share in supporting him. I am sure this woman spends more money on the children than he provides. If the shoe was on the other foot you wouldn't be complaining. Lady i can't believe you would want to lower child support because you feel that he pays too much for his kids i hope that you two do not share kids and he leaves you for a woman that thinks like you.
    bryden1401 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Nov 7, 2007, 07:28 AM
    It can be contested that she makes more but she can also say she's supporting 2 kids and that's why she lives with her rent's I would ask around a attorney may do a free consult but we pay and we privde 71% of the support for one child who we don't even see or know because at the time our papers were done she didn't work so they figured in that if she worked min wage she would only earn $800 a month and now after getting the governemnt to pay for her schooling and such she makes twice what we do and we still pay the saem plus provide dental and medical. So be careful it can bite you in the butt she could quit her job just to spite him and then he would be paying more than he is now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Child support [ 15 Answers ]

Could someone please explain to me what child support is to be used for

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child support [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I were eustatic when his ex girlfriend announced that she intended to end the child support because his son is usually here with us. She isn't sure how to end the case though. Should she call the child support enforcement or the court house to drop the case? Any help you can give...

Child support? [ 9 Answers ]

I have had this question on my mind for a while now, so I thought I would ask it and hope someone here knows the answer. Hypothetically, lets say I got this random girl at a party pregnant. Let’s say I have no interest in being a father. Could I sign away all my rights as a father and...

View more questions Search