Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bwill196 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2009, 07:33 PM
    Covering concrete floor
    I am converting an uninsulated breezeway between the house and garage to an insulated and heated breezeway. My question is what would be a good way to cover a concrete floor? I was thinking carpet but I wonder if the concrete floor would ever be warm. Or if it would condensate because of the temp. differential . Suggestions or comments would be a big help.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 9, 2009, 08:45 PM

Carpet would be the warmest under foot. Don't understand concern about condensation. Not different than any other floor in a house built on a slab.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 08:18 AM

I agree with harold as usual. This would be much like any slab home, no worry about condensation with carpet. Is that breezeway dry now?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2009, 06:58 PM

To really insulate the floor use urethane/foam board and then plywood sub floor over that. Keep in mind the difference in elevation for what ever step that may or may not be there.

I posted a vid on insul basement wall and pay attention to the basement floor part.

YouTube - Best way to insulate a basement 800x600

Other
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 10, 2009, 07:02 PM

You could even lay down some radiant electric floor heat if $$$ isn't to big of an issue. How to Install Electric in Floor Heat Under a Tile Floor - wikiHow

Jul 13, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I agree with harold as usual. This would be much like any slab home, no worry about condensation with carpet. Is that breezeway dry now?
    The reason I was concerned about condensation is in humid weather the floor will sweat.

Jul 13, 2009, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    To really insulate the floor use urethane/foam board and then plywood sub floor over that. Keep in mind the difference in elevation for what ever step that may or may not be there.

I posted a vid on insul basement wall and pay attention to the basement floor part.

YouTube - Best way to insulate a basement 800x600

Other
    The foam board insulation was one of my options ,I just wasn't sure if it would breakdown in high traffic areas .
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 08:08 PM
    The foam board insulation was one of my options ,I just wasn't sure if it would breakdown in high traffic areas
    How..

If that's a great concern which I wouldn't be concerned simply because of the tight full compression you will have there. Your weight will be transferred through the Whole piece of ply because its full service to srevice. No movement to brake down Insul board.

Lets think of this in construction science. 5/8 thick ply over a solid object no clear span here. Now lets add 1/8 to the ply and set that on joist that has a clear span of 13 1/2" lets jump on that and see the movement and lets jump on the 5/8 ans see the No movement.

The rigidity of the foam board is tremendous under compression as a full surface application. The weight on that 5/8 ply is so perfectly spread out because of 100% conctact with crete and ply for compression. It will feel solid as a rock just for that reason. I'm not an engineer here but lay a piece of foam down and ply and see if you can crush the foam. Never.. As long as the foam stays healthy it will last past my lifetime

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Infloor heat / floor covering [ 1 Answers ]

Which is has a lower r-value - wood laminate or thin carpeting? I am wanting to choose the less insulating covering that will help my infloor heat work most efficiently. Thanks.

Installing a concrete shower floor over a custom concrete pan. [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a stained concrete shower floor instead of tile. I have already installed a custom shower pan and pitched it to specs. My question is should I be concerned about the new floor cracking since it will only be 1/2" thick? If you have any other suggestions on the install, please...

Converting a tile floor to a stained concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about taking up the tile in my kitchen and staining the concrete underneath it, but I don't know if it will be possible to get up all the stains left on the concrete from the tile. I do not want to take up the tile if there is too much of a possibility that the tile stains won't come...

Covering pipes with concrete [ 7 Answers ]

Changing 1/2 bath to 3/4... Broke the concrete... had a plumber install the piping... covered pipes up again. Do I just simply buy concrete, mix it, and spread it evenly?? Is it that simple? Are there tricks to it? Thanks in advance. Ken

Covering concrete bricks [ 1 Answers ]

We have a patio area on the side of our house that consists of concrete "bricks" about 6x8. They are uneven, grass comes up in between, and I am looking for suggestions as to what we can do to clean it up. Could we have cement poured over top of it all to make one nice pad? We are not do it...

View more questions Search