Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bexx33 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2005, 02:03 PM
    Lack of Hot Water
    I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I've been having. In March, I purchased an older home (built in the 40's). As a condition of purchase, I asked that the water heater be replaced, which was very old and completely shot. The former owners purchased a 50 gallon Kenmore PowerMiser. The water heater is gas.

From the day I moved in, I only got about 2-3 minutes (5 gallons) of hot water in all of my taps- bathroom, kitchen, washer, then the water turns warm. As the water heater was under warranty, I called up Sears to have them look at it. They replaced the thermostat twice- along with the thermal coupling and gas valve. After one replacement, I had plenty of hot water- but after a day, I had the same problem. After the second replacement, I just had the 2-3 minutes of hot water again. Sears recently replaced the water heater (same model), and *still* I have the problem.

Other information that might help is that the pipes are old, galvanized iron pipes, and I don't know when the last time the fixtures have been replaced, but it probably hasn't been for awhile. I also have the thermostat set to the highest temperature and the water initially comes out extremely hot.

Any advice anyone could provide on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 12, 2005, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bexx33
    I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem I've been having. In March, I purchased an older home (built in the 40's). As a condition of purchase, I asked that the water heater be replaced, which was very old and completely shot. The former owners purchased a 50 gallon Kenmore PowerMiser. The water heater is gas.

From the day I moved in, I only got about 2-3 minutes (5 gallons) of hot water in all of my taps- bathroom, kitchen, washer, then the water turns warm. As the water heater was under warranty, I called up Sears to have them look at it. They replaced the thermostat twice- along with the thermal coupling and gas valve. After one replacement, I had plenty of hot water- but after a day, I had the same problem. After the second replacement, I just had the 2-3 minutes of hot water again. Sears recently replaced the water heater (same model), and *still* I have the problem.

Other information that might help is that the pipes are old, galvanized iron pipes, and I don't know when the last time the fixtures have been replaced, but it probably hasn't been for awhile. I also have the thermostat set to the highest temperature and the water initially comes out extremely hot.

Any advice anyone could provide on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    Did any one bother to mention that this problem sounds like a cross connection between hot and cold? If there were a cross connection the first draw would run hot until cold water was pulled into the hot water pipe. At that time the water would be tempered and turn cool. Since the focus has been on the new heater I should think that after practically rebuild it their attention would turn someplace else. Frankly, I can think of no other explanation. Regards, Tom

Aug 12, 2005, 04:36 PM
    Thanks
    No, no one mentioned this as a possibility. Someone on the Sears water heater hotline also mentioned that this might also be a dip tube problem. They told me how to test for this. It would be kind of surprising if both water heaters had a bad dip tube, but then none of the techs who came out before bothered to check out the dip tube or run any tests to see if it was working. I'll probably need to have another tech, or better yet, an actual plumber come out to take a look at the problem.

Thanks for the tip,
    Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2005, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bexx33
    No, no one mentioned this as a possibility. Someone on the Sears water heater hotline also mentioned that this might also be a dip tube problem. They told me how to test for this. It would be kind of surprising if both water heaters had a bad dip tube, but then none of the techs who came out before bothered to check out the dip tube or run any tests to see if it was working. I'll probably need to have another tech, or better yet, an actual plumber come out to take a look at the problem.

Thanks for the tip,
    Mark

Good morning Mark,

It would not only be a faulty dip tube but a complete lack of one that would cause your problem and two heaters that went through assembly missing dip tubes boggles the imagination.
    Sears "techs" aren't licensed plumbers,( unless they contracted out your call)
    So they don't "think outside the box".
    If this were my service call I would start with all single handled faucets. The first thing I would do is shut off the hot water stop to EVERY FAUCET, (including the tub/shower and any other one handled valves) except the one furthest from the heater. I would then turn on the hot water side of that faucet. If the water didn't cool down after I ran it I would then open up, one at a time, the hot water shut off for each valve. If no change I would shut off the hot water supply and move on to the next faucet. Somewhere along the line the water will cool down and that's the faucet I would change out the cartridge in. Sound like a plan? Cheers, Tom

Aug 15, 2005, 08:53 AM
    Thanks Again!
    This sounds like a good plan, I'll give it a try. Thanks again Tom!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lack of hot water in shower [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an older apt with about 90 units. We have one main hot water heater that supplies all the units. The hot water in my shower (not in the bathroom sink tho) has been getting progressively colder and colder to the point where I can turn the hot completely on and only get lukewarm water. In...

Kitchen Faucette hot water (lack thereof) [ 1 Answers ]

Good Evening, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have read about a 1000 questions posted looking for an answer to my problem, but I did not see one (probably missed it) anyway, I was wondering why my Kitchen faucette takes approx. 4-5 minutes to get hot water to it. This is the only...

Water Pressure or lack of! [ 1 Answers ]

Help, We live in a rural area with a artisian well. The well is located approx 30feet down hill from the house and about 125 feet away. There is a new shallow well pump and a new air tank(bladder type) in the well house. We have teriible water pressure and I realize that due to static line loss it...

Lack of sleep [ 5 Answers ]

When I went to Alcoholics anonymous, they always said "nobody ever died from lack of sleep" many years later, I don't drink anymore, but my medical insurance won't pay for Xanax or Clonazapan (sleep inducers) because its not a life threatening illness

Lack of hot water when Furnace is on [ 4 Answers ]

I recently puirchased my home and I have a furnace that was converted from coal to oil on 85. Our hot water is scalding out of the kitchen sink, but the bathroom on the second floor doesn't seem to get as hot. Now that the colder temps are here, we have been using the heat, and when that furnace...

View more questions Search