Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miclee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Coffee Shop
    I would like to start a small coffee shop but I have no idea how to start to find the information I need. Can anyone help to start me on the right path?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 5, 2006, 12:12 PM
    How fun! Raises my cup of java to you. :)

If you plan on borrowing any money, you will need a business plan. A plan is good to have whether you plan to borrow or not actually. Here is a link to the Small Business Administration in the US that covers some nice basics about starting a business and also writing a plan.

http://www.sba.gov/starting_business...itingplan.html

The other thing that immediately come to mind is safe food handling practices and you may want to contact your local health department with the hopes they can put you in touch with where to learn what is required.

If you can, befriend an existing shop owner clear across town. They are likely to open up to you if you aren't viewed as competition and usually most business owners love to talk about their business. Just be mindful they can be busy people so lots of short visits if you are to successfully pick their brains. They can be invaluable if you strike up a professional friendship with someone successful.

And lastly, I would suggest even though it seems like its just "a small coffee shop", I would line up an accountant, preferrable one who enjoys dealing with small businesses. A good accountant is a big asset to any business.

Thanks for posting and I hope this gives you "latte" ideas! (groans) LOL :p
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2006, 02:37 PM
    valinors_sorrow makes very good points.

I wish to add one thing:

Whether you borrow money to make this happen, make a business plan.

One of the reasons new companies fail is because they do not have proper goals and objectives.

Set out a business plan, know where things are coming from so you have an idea of what you are really getting yourself into.

A lack of cash flow is a major problem why business' fail. A proper Cash Budget will help you to see where/if you will be short and could correct it in advance.
    Honor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2006, 03:05 PM
    I found there is a website offers free shipping on all the coffee cup supplies.
    It sells hot cup and cold cups with very competitive prices.
    www.honorusa.com.

If you need coffee syrups, I will recommend another website:www.lollicupstore.com. It has very complete coffee supplies on this site, from Torani, Momin and DavinCi syrups, coffee stirs to cup jackets. The price is very reasonable too. You can buy everything you need at one time.

I hope you find these websites useful!
    :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coffee [ 49 Answers ]

Hello: I don't drink coffee. It has caffeine in it. I am opposed to drug use. I work in a coffee shop. Should I be able to refuse to serve coffee to my customers on moral grounds? excon

Coffee [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true that coffee is fatteing? A friend of mine says that coffee is not fatteing itself but it slows down metabolism and therefore makes u fat. She reckons tea is the opposite (ie. Speeds up metabolism). My other question is this: I don't like the taste of plain milk so I usually put some...

Pet Shop Switched Paperwork [ 2 Answers ]

About 10 months ago I bought a kitten from a pet shop. I was looking for a male cat, as they are cheaper to neuter and it is not quite as urgent as a female. I bought the kitten, which was already microchipped, and received the microchip paperwork for the kitten. Some weeks later I received a...

Building an online shop [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone advise me on the best value-for-money software to build an online shop? I have only a few items for sale at

View more questions Search