Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buster1104 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Oct 28, 2006, 06:21 PM
    Being the evil dad
    How do you have fun with two children who are 7 and 4 that can't stand coming over every weekend because you are the only parent who gives them discipline?

Long in short I have them every weekend. They hate coming over and I am to the point of just telling them not to come over anymore.

The problem with that is then I will be stuck with more child support (sounds messed up I know). I already get kicked in the face every month with the amount I pay. Then they come over and I am expected too spend more on them?

What am I suppose to do. I am going to stand my ground with my kids because they have attitudes, lying and other such issues.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 28, 2006, 06:28 PM
    Please don't be offended but try lighting up just a bit, they are still very young, of course, need discipline but they need to sense that coming to your home is a fun thing, take them out, find out what they like to do, have some real fun with them.
    buster1104 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Oct 28, 2006, 06:32 PM
    That would be ideal. I agree. They are young. But they also have no discipline 5 out of the seven days of the week. So, very difficult to figure out what to do. I'm not one to play the usual divorced parent game of who can be the more fun parent.
    Jen8446 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by buster1104
    How do you have fun with two children who are 7 and 4 that can't stand coming over every weekend because you are the only parent who gives them discipline?

Long in short I have them every weekend. They hate coming over and I am to the point of just telling them not to come over anymore.

The problem with that is then I will be stuck with more child support (sounds messed up I know). I already get kicked in the face every month with the amount I pay. Then they come over and I am expected too spend more on them?

What am I suppose to do. I am going to stand my ground with my kids because they have attitudes, lying and other such issues.
    Kids at 7 and 4 are still really young. I don't think you should be so hard on them. Diciplining is good, but you can't be too hard on kids when they're that small. Also, if they're not getting diciplined at home, it's going to be hard for you to do it when you only see them 2 days out of the week. Try to find other ways of diciplining them, because what you're doing isn't working, it's just making you out to be the bad guy. You don't want them to look at you as the bad guy, you want them to see you as a good dad. I'm not saying let them get out of control, but just ease up a bit.
    dbek Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Nov 17, 2006, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by buster1104

Well I believe in being consistence with disciplane is important, but don't go overboard on them. They are young. As they get older they will appreciate you for being a good parent and setting boundaries. Just try to do the best with your kids when you have them. Give them rewards for good behavior. But don't give up on your children, and not have them come over... It's something you'll end up hating yourself for and will lose important times with them.
    LisaSue Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2010, 10:14 AM
    I agree with you and feel you should continue to stand your ground. Yes, they are young, but they still need guidance and discipline. I would let them know that these are rules in your house and these rules are here to stay. Could you even ask them (at their age level) of how would they discipline some one who was misbehaving? Might give you some insight, and also, I'd get them involved with some kind of board where they could SEE they're rewarded. It doesn't mean they get a gift, but if each time they're at your place and they're following simple rules, such as table manners, picking up their toys, clothes... I'd put a star by their name on the board and after so many stars, maybe a treat, or a trip to the zoo. A treat that they would enjoy, but also all of you would enjoy together. Could you get them involved with these decisions?
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2010, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaSue View Post
    I agree with you and feel you should continue to stand your ground. Yes, they are young, but they still need guidance and discipline. I would let them know that these are rules in your house and these rules are here to stay. Could you even ask them (at their age level) of how would they discipline some one who was misbehaving? Might give you some insight, and also, I'd get them involved with some kind of board where they could SEE they're rewarded. It doesn't mean they get a gift, but if each time they're at your place and they're following simple rules, such as table manners, picking up their toys, clothes...I'd put a star by thier name on the board and after so many stars, maybe a treat, or a trip to the zoo. A treat that they would enjoy, but also all of you would enjoy together. Could you get them involved with these descisions?
    Check dates of previous posts. This thread is nearly 4 years old.
    LisaSue Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2010, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
    check dates of previous posts. This thread is nearly 4 years old.
    Yeah, noticed that after I sent my response. First time on this site, and didn't notice the date.
    Oh well. SH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evil desires [ 10 Answers ]

I have been a self mutilator for about 10 years (I'm 22), I have been married for 17 months and have not cut myself since a little while before. I am also 35 weeks pregnant. My husband and I barely have a relationship because all he does is sit on his computer and tonight I caught my husband...

My home is evil? [ 25 Answers ]

I live with my partner in our new home, an apartment in aberdeen scotland near a river. When we moved in it was great but we soon noticed some very abnormal things. The taps would just come on, items would fly off the shelfs and electrical appliances would turn off and on. We just laughed it...

Evil old navy... [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anyone knows the name of the song in the new old navy commercial "spring loves stripes". A woman sings it and the chorus goes " daddio, daddio" a few times... Its stuck in my head for hours after I see the commercial so I figure it would make sense for me to at least know...

Resident evil 4 [ 1 Answers ]

Where do you find the broken butterfly magnum on the castle level on Resi 4 ps2 ?

Evil spyware [ 6 Answers ]

I have decided to run some tests of the main spyware removal tools: Adaware, spybot, xoftspy, Micro$oft AS, trend housecall, etc. So what do you consider the worest spy/ad/malware out there? Also are there any other tools I should try? :D

View more questions Search