Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stacibug Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Accreditation of California coast university
    Does anyone know if California Coast University is accredited? It says it is but I don't want to get stuck with a Master's Degree from a school with no accreditation.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2006, 08:56 PM
    by who
    there are dozens of groups that claim to accrediate different schools. Most have little value.

first what are you going to do with the school, does it meet any of the professional requirements of your job.

the department of ed keeps a listing, try looking there

http://www.ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Jan 6, 2006, 09:14 PM
    CALIFORNIA COAST UNIVERSITY

General Information IPEDS ID: 110936
    700 N MAIN ST
    SANTA ANA, CA 92701

For more information about this institution, visit www.calcoast.edu

ACCREDITATION

National Institutional and Specialized Accrediting Bodies
    Distance Education and Training Council, Accrediting Commission (2005/2005)
    Distance Education and Training (DIST) - Distance education institutions offering non-degree and associate, baccalaureate, and master's degree programs primarily through the distance learning method
    Expert

Jan 7, 2006, 08:43 AM
    School
    As for as corresponsdace schools it appears to be OK, it is listed by the Dept of ED but only with an approval as a corresponsdance ( distance learning) school. It is not approved for Title IV programs.

Most of the creidts or classes are not transferable to other colleges. The list of who accepts their classes for transfer is listed here

http://www.acics.org/accredited/partners.asp

I would ask, what carrer or job do you want to do when your graduate and what do you want to do with your degree.
    stacibug Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 09:12 AM
    My concerns
    I have taken several classes through a university to obtain my master's degree. However, I am currently working full time (40 hours per week plus some weekends) and have other activities of the evenings that I cannot miss. Due to this, I haven't been able to finish my degree. I started 5 years ago. So I considered doing distance learning to complete it. I know that I cannot get licensing for my state and probably others with an online or distance learning degree, but it would still be acceptable by my place of business and others so that I can receive a promotion. I am currently working as a substance abuse therapist at a local mental health agency. I'm not sure what my goal will be for the future. Got any suggestions as to what I should do?
    Expert

Jan 7, 2006, 09:46 AM
    Try hard
    I try hard not to recommend any specific "anything" but I believe if you look into University of Phoenix you will find that they are even qualified for Title IV programs and that many of their programs are even OK for some state licenceing programs.

** always check about your specific area of interest.

It may will be worth looking into.
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Jan 7, 2006, 09:53 AM
    You can do distance learning through a lot of colleges that are regionally accreditted (the standard for accredidation). Go to this website, helped me quite a bit. This shows you how to get a BA quickly, but also has a lot of good general info.

http://bain4weeks.com/
    MVCLead Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2007, 10:50 PM
    California Coast is nationally accredited as a distance education university. That accreditation is valid however it can be seen as less desirable than regional accreditation such as WASC (West Coast) or North Central (Rocky Mountain region). It can certainly be a disadvantage if you need to transfer your credits some where and some licensing agencies and employers may not recognize a degree from a non-regionally accredited institution..

In today's higher education climate there are lots of options to take distance or online degree programs from regionally accredited and reputable institutions.

Good luck on your search!
    SSilva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stacibug
    Does anyone know if California Coast University is accredited? It says it is but I don't want to get stuck with a Master's Degree from a school with no accreditation.
    Yes they are accredited. I work for a background screening company and checked their accreditation and I am also a student with the University.
    FriendlyFire Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Sep 22, 2007, 10:06 AM
    They are now fully accredited through the DETC see DETC. I was a professor at ITT Technical Institute and they accepted my Masters degree from CalCoast to qualify me to teach. I have also checked into PhD programs which allow for transfer from CalCoast.
    Lesismore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 04:27 PM
    I realize the date of this thread is a little dated, but I would like to weigh in as well. I earned my B.S. from CCU in 2004, which was BEFORE the DETC accreditation. This very week, I attempted to enroll to continue with my Masters. I was told that due to their new National accreditation (DETC), that they could NOT accept the degree they themselves awarded. My only recourse is to retake 11 courses AND PAY THE CURRENT TUITION AGAIN.

Naturally I complained to DETC (Nan Bayster.) She explained that this was correct; CCU can no longer accept non-national accredited degrees for transfer. She suggested that I contact Tom Neal (CCU President) directly, and see if the tuition could be waived, or at least reduced. As far as the course work goes, she said that yes I WOULD have to re-challenge the material. I have yet to hear from Mr. Neal.

Seems there's no justice in the world.

Finally, the consensus is that National Accreditation is of little value (except to other National Institutes.) Regional Accredition is where the big boys play. Few, if any, regional institutes would accept even CCU's new DETC accredited degrees.

Any arguments/agreements?
    drjtsmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2007, 04:36 PM
    CCU is fully accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council DETC
    jorea Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 29, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Yes, they are accredited by DETC (detc.org) which is recognized and listed on the U.S. Department of Education website. That's good enogh for me.

I am a proud student of California Coast University.
    BEN JOHNSON Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 02:50 PM
    Accredited at a lower level? The USDOE and CHEA recognize only one level of accreditation. A degree from a DETC accredited school will not be recognized by somewhat over half of regionally accredited schools for reasons that have nothing to do with quality

jorea Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2008, 05:28 AM
    Well, people can go to the other half of regionally schools that do accept them. Also, my job (which is with the most internationally known football team in the WORLD) is paying for it. The fact that you so called can't get a job with a degree from a DETC accredited school is BULL.
    PATTY7511 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2008, 07:08 AM
    They are accredited by DETC
    Ocali2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2008, 11:09 AM
    I do know they are accredited by DETC. I am currently in the career development program at my job, they offered to pay when I decided to go back to school. I had to go to an accredited university before they would pay for tuition and books. I chose CCU. So, far things are going well.
    Dr.J.2012 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 11:53 AM
    I just finished my first doctoral course, Public Policy, at California Coast University. I was very impressed with the course. I transferred from the RA accredited doctoral program at Liberty University, because CCU offered more flexibility with their payment plan. Both my Masters and Bachelors Degrees were from brick and mortor institutions, and I learned as much or more in this course as I have learned in any of my post graduate courses.
    As a high school principal in the state of Georgia, this doctorate will help further my career. The state Georgia will accept my doctoral degree when I graduate from CCU in 2012. I highly recommend California Coast University without any reservations! If you want to know more about my doctoral journey, you can email me at [email protected]
    AlothaBread Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2011, 08:01 PM
    I am a proud student of CCU as well. I did not think that the accreditation would matter. However, I have recently decided that I want to teach Spanish to elementary students. So I applied to a regionally accredited university for my teaching license. Turns out that not one class from my BS or my MBA is transferable. Thank God almost all of my general education courses (english, math, science, etc.) were transfers (to CCU) from regionally accredited schools. Now I am currently enrolled in a class that I have already taken and working on my second Bachelors just to be eligible to apply for a teacher's license.

On the other hand, I am a Human Resource Analyst with the Department of Children's Services in my state. Accreditation apparently was not an issue for those Hiring Managers. I beat out 12 other candidates while still working on the MBA.

If I had to do it over I would probably go regional. Was it a total loss? Not completely... I don't know... Something to consider.
    kamranshakil77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2011, 10:19 PM

Well, California Coast website is not jazzy and that does not imply that they content or program quality is not good. I spent 7 months searching for the right degree and right people , and I found it ! It was CALCOAST ! DETC is one of the accrediting bodies and CHEA accepts it. ED.GOV also lists it . If we believe that US Government has strict educational standards and they respect and value people of their country then we must also trust the Dept of education and Council website CHEA.ORG to be equally respectful. Even as per my need, US EMBASSY (outside of USA) does say clearly that they will attest any document if ED.GOV website lists them in their database.
    Hope this helps. "REMEMBER : getting a job is half of the work, staying great in it is the one which makes it complete " <anonymous>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accreditation for Canyon College [ 14 Answers ]

Can someone tell me if Canyon College in Caldwell, Idaho accredited? I was told that it has a private accreditation. What is a private accreditation? Silvesterdav

30 day notice - California [ 5 Answers ]

On Sept 20 I gave my written 30 day notice. I subsequently moved out around October 3. My lease had expired in July. My problem is that the rental co is charging me rent till the last day of the month instead of 30 days after I gave notice, which should have been Oct 20. My question is can they...

California Lease [ 3 Answers ]

I'm very thankful I found this site... it has proved to be very informative and the people that reply are greatly appreciated. I hope someone can answer my question as this is turning into a problem I hadn't expected! I rented a house property in July. The house was being rented by the owner,...

California [ 1 Answers ]

Contest Question 1 out of a hundred. I am having a lot of trouble with this one. Thanks for any help. A certain California drive-thru during its almost-90-year span of operation, before a snowstorm in the late sixties put it out of commission... What, where was it... I have tried tunnels,...

View more questions Search