Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marniejones Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2007, 12:00 AM
    Bed bugs or mosquitoes?
    I've been noticing itchy bug bites on my legs. Usually they are scattered randomly on my legs or arms. But once there were 4 in a row. How do I know if these are from bed bugs or from mosquitoes? They are itchy and red and swollen. I've never seen a bed bug in my bedroom.
    if they are bed bugs, how can I find out where they are hiding and how can I get rid of them without having to call an exterminator?
    icecream Posts: 160, Reputation: 6

Oct 12, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by marniejones
    I've been noticing itchy bug bites on my legs. Usually they are scattered randomly on my legs or arms. But once there were 4 in a row. How do I know if these are from bed bugs or from mosquitoes? They are itchy and red and swollen. I've never seen a bed bug in my bedroom.
    if they are bed bugs, how can I find out where they are hiding and how can I get rid of them without having to call an exterminator?
    Hi marniejones,

I think they are beb bugs. My nephew had a few bites last year. All I did was wash his sheets, pillow coverings and they disappeared. Than again, it may not be bed bugs... Anyways, trying washing your sheets!

This link might help. Just saw it..

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/pest-c...gs-128392.html
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2007, 04:12 PM
    They could be spider bites too.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 12, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Do you have pets? Is it possible that it could be fleas?
    chukieanbride Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Oct 12, 2007, 05:01 PM
    If I Was U, I'd Buy A New Bed, Lol
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Nov 21, 2007, 01:03 AM
    When and where are you getting bit? Do you know? Do you feel them bite? I've never been bitten by bed bugs, but most people don't feel them bite. Are you waking up with new bites? If yes, then, bed bugs are a good guess. Fleas might bite in a line, as well - a pattern known as breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but fleas will bite while you are walking or sitting in your house or yard, day or night, and usually are ankle and leg biters. Mosquito bites would be random, often on exposed skin, and you should be bothered by the buzzing and flying. Mosquitos do bite at night, but if your house is well screened, you shouldn't be getting bit.

Visit http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic600.htm for a clinical description. There are many websites about bed bugs. I didn't review them all, but here is a good one: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef636.asp, with suggestions on finding, identifying, and treating infestations.
    DebbieMotherOfIrishTwins Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 07:34 AM
    We currently have bedbugs and are getting treatment for them by an exterminator. Since finding out we had them I have done a lot of research. Several signs are 3 or 4 bites in a row as you described but they can also be randomized too, the reasoning for the three in a row is the bedbug will take a bite and then move a little trying to find the same blood vessel to bite from. Another sign is some of the bites have a little red dot in the middle, the reasoning for this is because the way the bed bug feeds is he/she inserts two small antennas into your skin and inject saliva to thin your blood so it doesn't clot while it feeds with the second antena. It's the saliva and not the actual bite that cases your intense reaction thus leaving you with a mosqioto like bump. One of the many places the bed bug likes to hide is in the matress and box spring, it will usually reside in a place close to the host and is a nocturnal blood feeder. Its most active time of night and most likely time that it will feed is the few hours right before dawn. Also you will usually see blood spots on your sheets by the coorners. Bed bugs leave little escrement drops that leave these marks. When we had them in our bed they were not in the creases of the matress where the exterminator originally looked they were mainly in the box spring. If you place your box spring against the wall and pull back the mesh along the edges you will most likely find them. If in the matress they will most likely be in the creases or seams along the edge. They can also be under the rug behind the bed or in furniture close to the bed. The bad news is your going to need an exterminator and will most likely have to toss the box spring and matress. Getting rid of these bugs are very difficult because of how small they are. Their bodies are flat when they don't feed and they can go up to a year in some cases without a meal. A female will lay 300 eggs in one year. Getting the matress is recommended but there is an alternative. You can get casings to place the matress and box spring in once it's been treated but you have to leave them on for at least one year to insure the bugs do in fact die. Good luck with it I feel for you cause it's a grueling process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bed Bugs [ 4 Answers ]

I have had red spots popping up on my arms, stomach, back legs and it itch like crazy. This has been going on for a month now, and I can't figure it out. I have been to the doctor and she told me I am having an allergic reaction to something. She suggested that I go back to what I was doing to...

Bed bugs [ 2 Answers ]

Suggest Me Any Home Remedy Of Killing Bed Bugs Not Of Pestcontrol. Thanks

Mosquitoes, flies, et al... [ 45 Answers ]

Some say that God has a purpose for everything he does. What do YOU believe his purpose was for creating mosquitoes, flies, and other pests?

Mosquito bites or bed bugs? [ 6 Answers ]

?? I need advice! Two weeks ago I was at a picnic and seemed to notice a lot of knats around. Two days after the picnic I discovered over 20 bites on my legs which I had an allergic reaction to. Most of both legs were pink, swolen, and hot to the touch. The bites became the size of quarters. ...

View more questions Search