Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thoughtiwastheman Posts: 114, Reputation: 22

Jul 2, 2013, 07:00 AM
    Bankruptcy Law/Contract Law/Property Law/Landlord Tenant Law
    Quick question. If a company leases a section of my rooftop to place a telephone antenna but later files for bankruptcy and get it, what are my rights? They are no longer paying me rent, but their system is still on my roof. Can I keep the antenna? Can I get rid of it? Please explain. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2013, 07:07 AM
    If they file for bankruptcy they may still be in business or there may be a successor company. You need to try to contact the receiver who is handling the bankruptcy. Send them a letter stating that since rental payments have ceased they need to remove their equipment or you will seize for unpaid rent.

Jul 2, 2013, 07:13 AM
    Thanks. Is there a process for seizing something, or it is simply giving them a time to reply and then taking it if they don't reply by the date?

Jul 2, 2013, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtiwastheman View Post
    Thanks. Is there a process for seizing something, or it is simply giving them a time period to reply and then taking it if they don't reply by the date?
    Depends on local laws. You will probably have to sue them for unpaid rent, obtain a judgment and then apply for a writ of execution to seize the property.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 2, 2013, 07:57 AM
    This is not something you are going to do, without an attorney, the antenna may or should be property listed in the bankruptcy, so it will be the court that may dispose of it, and your debt against them, is just part of the bankruptcy, have you responded to the bankruptcy court withiin the proper time, to validate your claim with them ?

Jul 2, 2013, 08:19 AM
    They filed a motion for order determining that section 365(d)(4) of the bankruptcy code is not applicable to them and it was granted because it was determined that the contract was a license and not a nonresidential lease since they did not have exclusive right to possess or a property interest in the building.

Jul 2, 2013, 08:38 AM
    So why didn't you say that in the first place?

But who is they? What is that code section for?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 10:40 AM
    Rather than pulling out the info bit by bit, I think "we" need the whole story.

If a Court has already made a determination, what's the question?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 2, 2013, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    So why didn't you say that in the first place?

But who is they? What is that code section for?
    "11 U.S.C. § 365 : Executory contracts and unexpired leases
    ... "

I think this is the pertinent part:

"...
    (4)
    (A) Subject to subparagraph (B), an unexpired lease of
    nonresidential real property under which the debtor is the lessee
    shall be deemed rejected
    , and the trustee shall immediately
    surrender that nonresidential real property to the lessor, if the
    trustee does not assume or reject the unexpired lease
    by the
    earlier of -
    (i) the date that is 120 days after the date of the order for
    relief; or
    (ii) the date of the entry of an order confirming a plan.
    (B)
    (i) The court may extend the period determined under
    subparagraph (A), prior to the expiration of the 120-day period,
    for 90 days on the motion of the trustee or lessor for cause.

(ii) If the court grants an extension under clause (i), the court
    may grant a subsequent extension only upon prior written consent of
    the lessor in each instance.
    ..."

It appears that the trustee has abandoned the property.

Jul 2, 2013, 12:18 PM
    So it looks like, to me, the lessor tried to get possession of the antenna under that code and it was rejected. Again, facts that should have been included in the original question.

Which also indicates that the OP has been in contact with the bankruptcy trustee so I don't know how much more we can help. Especially if the OP doesn't tell us the whole story.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 12:29 PM
    Getting the info on the cancelled life insurance policy was like pulling teeth. This thread is the same.

Hasn't the Court/trustee already spoken?

Jul 2, 2013, 01:14 PM
    Subparagraph B would apply is there was a lease, in this case the court allowed the Debtors motion that Subparagraph B should not apply and they successfully argued that it should not apply because they did not have any property interest or exclusive right to possession. They argued that they only had a license-the authority to perform an act on the premises. Furthermore, the debtor had clients that they worked with before declaring bankruptcy, and they have been given the right to assume or reject the agreement after they figure out a workable solution with their former clients. The question remains, if the client eventually works out a solution with their former clients and ends up rejecting the license since subparagraph B didn't apply in the first place (only applies to a lease), what are my rights to remove the equipment from the roof after the fact?

Jul 2, 2013, 02:54 PM
    First, why did you not tell us about this in the first place? Second, as near as I can see the trustee needs to make the decision to remove and liquidate the assets. And you need to either work with the trustee or the bankruptcy court.

As far as I can tell, you are not being harmed by the presence of the antenna. Its not interfering with the use of the property. So I would just wait until the bankruptcy is settled.

Jul 3, 2013, 09:59 AM
    I thought so. Thanks. You guys have been great!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 3, 2013, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First, why did you not tell us about this in the first place? Second, as near as I can see the trustee needs to make the decision to remove and liquidate the assets. And you need to either work with the trustee or the bankruptcy court.

As far as I can tell, you are not being harmed by the presence of the antenna. Its not interfering with the use of the property. So I would just wait until the bankruptcy is settled.
    It is not clear whether this is Chapter 7, 11, or 13, but it really doesn't matter (except that if it's an 11 the debtor is the trustee (in most cases)).

So the trustee has no enforceable lease-hold. But the question remains whether the trustee has abandoned the personal property (the antenna). OP needs to check with the trustee about that.

Jul 3, 2013, 11:20 AM
    This was a chapter 11. I will check with the trustee. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord tenant law [ 3 Answers ]

I am renting a room in my apartment. I let the people move in early and now it's the 2nd and they don't want to pay rent. They are trying to say they have thirty days to move. But they haven't paid there is no contract whatsoever and I want to re rent. They have only been here a week. Don't they...

Commercial law - the contract law [ 7 Answers ]

> MB is a bank, had a scheme of financing to construct a traffic tunnel. In the course of construction of the tunnel. >SBB, a private busline, came to MB and negotiaged for a contract with MB. One of the clauses in the contract saying that "SBB may drive 100 buses in each direction through...

Tenant landlord law [ 6 Answers ]

Last Saturday my roommate up and moved out while I was at a baseball game. We have a signed lease which I am assuming makes it a binding contract and her liable for the remainder of the lease. But my real question is... the landlord allowed her to sign a lease to live in another apartment on the...

Tenant Landlord NY law [ 1 Answers ]

I live in NY apt for 27 years, advised landlord I might be moving out in 2 months due to a strong business possibility in another State. He advised me to sign 1 more year lease in case bsnss doesn't go through and added a clause I can break the lease with a 30 days prior written notice to him, I...

View more questions Search