Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edmine Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2011, 03:37 PM
    When the payroll is paid, payroll taxes become a(n) ________ to the employer.
    The answer is liability but why is it a liability but not an expense
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2011, 02:56 PM

An employer witholds taxes from an employee like FICA, FIT, Social Security, State and Local taxes, and so on. The taxes that are withheld from an employee is not an expense to an employer, but they are a liability because the employer has to submit the taxes on behalf on its employees usually on a monthly or quarterly basis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to pay taxes even my employer doesn't run the payroll [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came on L1 from india,My employer stated for first 90 days he will not run the payroll but will pay perdim basis for first 90 days(Non taxiable).From the 91st day he wanted to run the payroll for me... My Query : 1.If my employer send me back after completing 90 days will I get effected...

My employer informed me he owes the IRS 78000.00 in payroll taxes. [ 1 Answers ]

My Employeer/boss just informed me he hasn't been paying the payroll taxes all year although he has been deducting it from my check.He owes 78,000 in back taxes.Will I still be able to get a refund? Who will be responsible to pay these monies due to the IRS?

Payroll and Payroll Tax Expense on an Income Statement [ 2 Answers ]

Is the payroll expense on the Income Statement the gross amount of payroll? What I have seen so far is that it is the gross amount and then the payroll taxes are also listed. Isn't it doubling the amount of expense for the payroll taxes? Thanks for your help!

Payroll company witholding money from uncashed payroll check [ 1 Answers ]

I have a payroll check that is about four years old and the payroll company says that they are in no way obligated to reissue me a check, and that the escheat laws only apply to government office jobs but that is not true. Who would I contact to help me on this problem?

Payroll and payroll taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm completing a project for a high school accounting class. I need to know how to journalize the payment of payroll. I also need to know how to journalize the payment of the payroll taxes.

View more questions Search