Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phanna Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 09:23 PM
    Mysterious House Noise
    At loss as to what the mysterious noise I'm hearing in my house is. Have eliminated its relationship to septic system, electric, roof, water main, plumbing fixtures and neighbor's pool equipment. It's hard to tell whether it's vibration that generates the noise or vice versa. With all those things being eliminated I'm wondering if it could be related to underground pipes... like pipes in my foundation or something. It's driving me nuts. Can't even sleep in my bedroom. End up sleeping in family room in a recliner where I can still hear it, but not as much as in the bedroom. What would it take to find out if there's something in the house's pipes? And if they're under the foundation what in the world can I do? I sure need some help.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 09:27 PM

Phanna: first, you have to tell us something about your house and your house plumbing. Also are you on slab or raised foundation. Do you have copper or gal or plastic or pex pipes ? How about water heater ? Do you have hot water circulating pump ? And most importantly: be more specific about the noise: when, where, how, etc.
    VolklGuy Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 09:29 PM

What about the furnace? Is that running? Do you have hot water radiators? It's got to be something in the pipes or plumbing. Is there a quarry near by?

Nov 29, 2008, 09:51 PM

House is 3,000 sf ranch-style house on slab. In Texas in an area with unstable ground. Two water heaters, one for each end of the house. Don't know what kind of pipes. House built in 2000. Noise is almost like road noise or, as other's have described it, fog horn. Most prevalent at night and wee hours of the morning. Sometimes comes in waves, almost pulsating. Can't hear any of the noise outside. Driving me crazy. I don't live near an airport, quarry or any industry. Out in the country in a "subdivision" of acre-lot properties.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2008, 09:54 PM

Do your neighbors hear anything like what you describe?

Nov 29, 2008, 09:54 PM
    Oops... forgot to answer a couple other questions. I have an air-conditioning/heating unit at each end of the house. Had service check on them last week. All okay. Don't run the heating though... can't afford to. No radiator.

Nov 29, 2008, 09:57 PM
    Neighbors don't seem to hear this. Thought it was my one neighbor's pool equipment, but then he turned everything off and the noise prevailed. Another house 3 doors down has a pool too and it sounds like their equipment is really loud, but people next to them don't hear the noise I'm hearing and I can't imagine how it could travel from them to me, skipping two houses.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 09:58 PM
    What appliance is running at night: A/C ? Pool Pump? Ceiling Fan ? Hot water circulating pump? Others ?

Since you are on slab, I don't thing noise is coming from pipes under ground. Something running is touching wall, or pipe and vibration transfers through out the house. Noise is prevalent at night bcs at night noise pollution is down.

Heater is usually located either in the attic or its own closet. If you run A/C than it runs though the coil that is attached to the furnace and its fan.

Nov 29, 2008, 10:01 PM

Nothing running at night. TV, that's all. How in the world can I find out what may be touching a pipe and transferring the vibration?

Nov 29, 2008, 10:02 PM
    Ahh.. That's a pretty new house. What about the expansion tank? Or a radon system?
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 10:04 PM
    Phanna: aren't you the one who posted similar question few days ago thinking the source of the noise is your neighbor's pool equipment ?

Nov 29, 2008, 10:04 PM

I don't know what expansion tank or radon system are.

Nov 29, 2008, 10:06 PM

Milo - yes that's me! I finally was able to talk to my neighbor. He told me tonight his system was turned off. I could still hear the noise, so am back to square one again.

Nov 29, 2008, 10:07 PM

An expansion tank is about the size of a basketball or a volleyball. Kind of looks like a little tank inline with your water pipes I think.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 10:09 PM

Ok Phanna, define the noise : vibration or whistle like ? Is it continuous ? High pitched? Does it sound 24/7 ?

Nov 29, 2008, 10:10 PM

VolklGuy.. geez, I wouldn't even know where to look. I guess this is something I should ask a plumber about, huh? Would this have something to do with the noise?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2008, 10:10 PM

I have a water pump with my well system that makes noises while refilling,found out the water shut-offs for replacing the appliances was the culprit,I closed and opened all shut-offs and it disappeared,might have been the washers not seating correctly after many years of not being changed.

Things that could cause vibrations:

As was asked already,

Furnace/ A/C unit.

Water heater.

Refrigerator.

Overdrawn electrical outlets.

Earthquake.

Underground water.

I know some of this sounds far fetched,but... you never know till you look.

Nov 29, 2008, 10:12 PM

Milo - This is a vibrating noise. It's goes from pulsating to solid runs. It's low-pitched, reminiscent of the noise you'd hear if someone playing music with a lot of bass in it pulled up next to your car. Putting pillows over my head or earplugs in my ears doesn't make it go away.

Nov 29, 2008, 10:14 PM
    Thanks, KBC. Thought I'd had everything checked, but the things on your list I don't recognize, I will. Thank you.

Nov 29, 2008, 10:14 PM

Do you even have basements in Texas?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mysterious hum in the house [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It doesn't appear to be. Checked HVAC for vibrations and couldn't pinpoint any obvious problem. ...

Mysterious hum in the house [ 25 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It's not. The noise does sound like a "fog horn" going off several blasts at a time and the noise level...

Mysterious humming noise in the house [ 113 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It's not. The noise does sound like a "fog horn" going off several blasts at a time and the noise level...

Mysterious hum in the house [ 1 Answers ]

View more questions Search