Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morlando Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Do I need to write a letter about going up on rent?
    The renter that we have are good about paying the rent on time. But they have moved another person in with them and they will not keep the yard clean and the grass cut.

We pay for the water bill and would like to go up on the rent to cover the cost of the extra water that is used because of the extra person they have moved in. Can we do this . And what kind of letter do I need to write.

Appreciate any help. Thanks :)
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by morlando
    The renter that we have are good about paying the rent on time. But they have moved another person in with them and they will not keep the yard clean and the grass cut.

We pay for the water bill and would like to go up on the rent to cover the cost of the extra water that is used because of the extra person they have moved in. Can we do this . And what kind of letter do I need to write.

Appreciate any help. Thanks :)
    What stipulations does your contract already include about added expenses on your part or number of occupants on their part?
    If you are the manager and pricing is your responsibility, you must have some guidelines to go by? If not, a common notice is at least a month notice with an unspecified grace period.. . If you wish to retain the renter.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Write up a new lease including the third person and RAISE THEIR RENT. Hopefully, the current lease indicated that the occupancy is for two people only?

That's just the way it is.
    morlando Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    What stipulations does your contract already include about added expenses on your part or number of occupants on their part?
    If you are the manager and pricing is your responsibility, you must have some guidelines to go by? If not, a common notice is at least a month notice with an unspecified grace period. ..If you wish to retain the renter.
    We have that there will be 4 people living there. 2 adults and 2 children. There are 3 adults and 2 children and there has been ever since they moved in. They said that the 3 adult was only helping them move in and then he was going to move on. Well this has been 6 months and he is still there.

They are to keep the grass cut and the yard picked up. The grass is always tall and when I said something about the grass the Lady got real mad at us. She will not even speak at this time. My husband cut the grass one time it was so tall and we ask them to pay for the gas they did not like that at all. She said she could not afford to pay for someone to cut the grass.

We are new to this and We do not want to be unfair to anyone.

Thanks so much for trying to work with me on this.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 04:18 AM
    Hello more:

You need to do ALL your legal communications with them in writing.

excon
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 19, 2007, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morlando
    We have that there will be 4 people living there. 2 adults and 2 children. There are 3 adults and 2 children and there has been ever since they moved in. They said that the 3 adult was only helping them move in and then he was going to move on. Well this has been 6 months and he is still there.

They are to keep the grass cut and the yard picked up. The grass is always tall and when I said something about the grass the Lady got real mad at us. She will not even speak at this time. My husband cut the grass one time it was so tall and we ask them to pay for the gas they did not like that at all. She said she could not afford to pay for someone to cut the grass.

We are new to this and We do not want to be unfair to anyone.

Thanks so much for trying to work with me on this.
    If they are in violation of the lease, then they are in violation of the lease. Perioid. Whether it's boarding too many at that address or not maintaining the property, they are in violation. Don't let their bad mood interfer with you managing the rental property. Apparently, they cannot actually afford to be there. I would begin eviction proceedings. And as excon stated, all contact should be in writing.

Your next tennants should have a more specific lease.

Don't be unfair to yourselves, either! You established a rent rate hoping that everything was agreed upon. Now you're working harder than anticipated. That's not fair to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to write a letter to a professor [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to graduate this year, I want to apply to a graduate school overseas. But as I am not used to writing letters in English, not to mention to write to a profressor, would anybody please tell me how to write a letter to a professor?

How do I write an introduction letter [ 3 Answers ]

How do I write a good introduction letter in the right format, to introduce my new products. Help is required. Thanks.

How Can I Write Introduction Letter [ 1 Answers ]

How Would I Set Up A New Business Introduction Letterto Other Companies Esra

How to write a introduction letter [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all I need some help to write a introduction letter. I just started as a loan officer and I also do insurance on site! I want to write a letter to all of my insurance client to tell them about my new career and the new team that I'm working with! But I have serious language problems! HELP!:(

How to write an introduction letter? [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to introduce my company and products to a potential customer Please show me a sample of FORMAL introduction letter Thanks a lot!

View more questions Search