Ask
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2018, 01:43 PM
    Whirlpool gas water heater
    I have a question regarding my water heater it is

Whirlpool gas water heater model #NU50T121-403 S/N 1212T469568
    Installed May -9 -2012

A couple months ago I had a problem when the burner would come on it was making a loud noise like explosion or too much gas called whirlpool they suggested to replace the burner assembly which I did that problem is corrected but now I have another problem the burner is come quite often regardless if we draw hot water from the tank or no water the burner will come on for a few minutes, I need your suggestions,

Thanks
    John
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 5, 2018, 04:51 PM
    Hi John,

Water temperature is controlled by your gas valve thermostat (CONTROL MODULE), and you have a temperature control on the side. Make sure it's set at 120. Take note of what it is set on. In case you don't have a manual, use this one, page #29 and 30,

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/59...page=29#manual

The burner assembly you changed is plugged to this control module. Whether you use water or not, the thermostat keeps the water at a set temperature. The higher you set it, the more it kicks the burners on. Let me know where yours is set.

https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairH...heater-too-hot

Not sure if you have a problem to be honest. Most people don't notice how often a WH burners kick on and off unless there is a problem. Check the temp setting and let us know what you find.*

*Model and serial numbers didn't yield any results.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2018, 06:23 PM
    Hello Talaniman,

Yes I understand that the water temp is controlled by gas valve thermostat and is set at the warm and was always set at this setting may be I was not noticing it before but now it kick on and off a lot I am just curious if there is a problem, Whirlpool have sent me a gas module I just wanted to check if worth to change or just waste of time, Thanks

John
    kanatalcamp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2018, 01:46 AM
    I have also Same Problem with My gas Heater anyone can Suggest me the Best way to Control this
    Expert

Apr 6, 2018, 06:23 AM
    I can only say if your system is clean, efficient and functioning, no I wouldn't mess with it, especially given that you may not know how it was performing before you made your repairs. I don't know what quite often is, or if it's a problem or normal. The new module may well do the same thing. I didn't find any data that suggests this module is defective, so it could be just location or conditions having that effect (LOL, Can't imagine it being cold in Cali(?) though). I know early spring is when we flush water heaters though, as a maintenance routine, and we have some really hard water in N. Texas John.

The first sign of lost efficiency is in costs, so if gas and electric bills run fairly normal as expected then it's all good. That would be my suggestion from what you wrote, monitor and track the function and do the routine maintenance. To be honest, I would be more concerned with a clean combustion chamber after burner assembly problems than the gas module.

I think you need more data, John is the bottom line.

@kanatalcamp.

Define your problem please because as I expressed to Afaroo, monitoring a unit that's working is better than changing parts because of a perceived problem. Is your unit working and why do you THINK there is a problem?
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2018, 11:27 PM
    Hello Talaniman,

I have a Watts hot water recirculation system model number 500800 installed looks to me that the sensor is not working properly going to isolate and see what happens my gas bill is going a little high, Thanks.

John
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 10, 2018, 07:41 PM
    John,
    During winter months, hot return water cools down very fast. Chances are, the heater's thermostat is OK, it is just the time of the year. Also, do not keep hot water setting too high, go to 120F. With circ system, that should be plenty of hot water

Milo
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2018, 09:53 AM
    Hello All,

Update FYI I replaced the gas valve two days ago and the problem solved, Thanks to every for their input.

John
    Expert

Apr 13, 2018, 10:41 AM
    Thanks for the update john and glad the problem was solved. Just for my own curiosity, and education though, could you share the thinking process that led to your decision to replace the gas valve?
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2018, 11:49 AM
    Hello Talaniman,

What led me to replace the gas valve was that the heater was kinking on and off a lot the water was getting very hot with gas valve set at hot which was set at this position from day one that I replaced the water heater also I noticed my gas bill was going high then normal, I hope this will give you and idea, Thanks.

Best Regards,
    John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool hot water heater pilot turns off [ 1 Answers ]

My Whirlpool Hot Water Heater, turned 3 years old in October of 2012, does something that is fasinating and yet annoying. After a long burn, ie: someone takes a shower, the pilot light no longer engulfs the thermacouple. Therefore, about 15 seconds after the burner turns off, the pilot does as...

Whirlpool water heater won't light [ 0 Answers ]

2002 whirlpool 40 gal water heater refuses to light. Replaced the pilot/burner assembly kit and still not a thing to show for it, not so much as a spark. Other suggestions on what it could be, or is the heater just at the end of its life span?

No Hot No Hot Water From a 40 gal Whirlpool electric Water Heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have the 40 gal Whirlpool electric.. same problem here, after two minutes (not even 10 gallons) the water gets cold or barely warm with the shower valve all the way to hot.. Very disapointed with Whirlpool.. my old tank was working like a champ before it started leaking.. I recomand Keenmore next...

Whirlpool Gas Water Heater Pilot Light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool 40 gallon water heater, when attempting to light the burner, the pilot light goes out when the reset button is released. (After holding the reset button down for the required amount of time). Does anyone know what's going on?

Whirlpool Gas Hot Water Heater [ 1 Answers ]

All day today my heater was working, however sometime around five the pilot went out. I followed the directions on how to re-light it, however it would not stay lit. I even tried tighting the thermocouple. The pilot will go out as soon as I release the button. Is there a way to figure out what...

View more questions Search