Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kateliz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2011, 09:22 AM
    Identifying a children's book about lake monsters (picture book not chapter book)
    I was hoping someone could help me identify the title or author of a picture book I used to read as a child. I've seen that other users have had success with similar questions but unfortunately I just remember the basic premise of this book. Any help or tips would be great!

The book I'm looking to identify was a picture book published before the year 2000 (sorry I can't be more specific about a time period). The book was beautifully illustrated and told the story of a lake that was overrun with lake monsters/sea serpents. From what I remember the main characters were two children ( a boy and a girl I think) that were visiting a relative at the lake that summer. The creatures were friendly from what I remember and I believe the children helped the locals find a solution to the recently infested lake. My most vivid memories of the book involved a beautiful illustration of the lake from above with boats floating among the heads of the lake monsters.

I'm sorry I can't give any more plot information but I would be happy if anyone could point me in the right direction as to author or title. I loved this book as a child and would love to find another copy. Thanks for the help!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 3, 2011, 11:46 AM

Island of the Aunts by Eva Ibbotson (Author) and Kevin Hawkes (Illustrator)

From School Library Journal:
    Grade 4-6-It isn't easy taking care of an entire island and its needy, sometimes magical inhabitants and visitors, so the caregivers, Aunts Myrtle, Etta, and Coral, decide to kidnap three children from London to help them with such tasks as cleaning mermaids who were caught in an oil slick and coaxing an egg-bound boobrie to lay its enormous eggs. Two of the children, Fabio and Minette, turn out to be enthusiastic workers who grow to love the island and their charges, but Lambert Sprott is a cell-phone-addicted brat. In fact, it is Lambert's nefarious father who, in rescuing his son, makes a near-successful attempt to exploit the isle's magical creatures for his own gain. The tone of this book is as no-nonsense as stern but kind Aunt Etta. No mercy is shown to self-obsessed, environment-polluting grown-ups and nasty, ill-behaved children, but sanctimony is held at bay by the dry humor that permeates the story. The plunder of the sanctuary by Mr. Sprott and his crew is filled with scenes of real menace and suspense-readers will not be able to put the book down until they know for sure that all the island's inhabitants are safe and sound. The 14 black-and-white illustrations add quiet charm and humor. A fine choice for fantasy lovers, especially fans of E. Nesbit, Edward Eager, and Jane Langton.
    Eva Mitnick, Los Angeles Public Library
    Copyright 2000 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Amazon.com: Island of the Aunts (9780142300497): Eva Ibbotson, Kevin Hawkes: Books
    kateliz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2011, 12:16 PM

Sorry, although Island of the Aunts is a great book, it's not the one I'm looking for right now. The book I'm trying to identify is a children's picture book rather than a chapter book with illustrations. The book would probably be placed in the 3-8 age category, with full color pages of illustrations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Children's book about a Nessie creature:1980's possibly a Weekly Reader Book [ 3 Answers ]

I have been trying to find a book for my son from when I was a kid. It was one of my favorites. I think it might have been published through the Weekly Reader Book Club but I'm not sure. All I remember is that a loch ness type friendly monster was in a small lake, and that children and maybe adults...

I used to read this book back in elementary school. It's a children's Book.Can you help [ 1 Answers ]

It's about a poor wandering boy that's hungry who winds up at this ugly old woman's house and asks for food but she only has these different types of vegetables and other thing. They decide to make a soup and they begin to put different things from vegetables to a dogs chewed up bone

Need to find a book about several children who are monsters kind of in hiding. [ 0 Answers ]

I've been looking for a book that was part of a series. It was about this group of young kids who are really monsters but keep it secret. One of them is a werewolfe and his name is Howie. I can't remember the rest but one of them is a water creature and I think one of them is like frankenstien. ...

I am searching for a book about monsters [ 2 Answers ]

I remember reading this book when I was a child, I don't remember the name of it but I remember it was about a man in a house who encountered these goblin like creatures and each time one of them left they said there are those worse than them, and the second to last one said, at midnight or...

Need to find a children's chapter book.but I can't remember the title! [ 1 Answers ]

So here's the deal... anyone specialize in finding books for a living?? :confused: I read this small chapter book as a child and would love to find it again. I'm going to be a teacher and as a child I would read this book over and over again! I think that it got lost with moving and what not......

View more questions Search