Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2010, 10:43 AM
    I've got a Walther P22. I want to "move up". What can you recommend?
    I don't want to go with a 44 or 45. I like some 9mm models but am preferring the .32 PPK... but around here .32 rounds are very expensive...

I want to stick with a semi-auto rather than a revolver, so am looking at the PPK .380 or a nicely priced 9mm.

Can any of y'all recommend something that you love?

I keep it for home and office security, and will have my concealed carry license by the end of September, if that matters with what you recommend.

Thanks!

PS. By the end of next month I'll have my Concealed Carry Weapons License :)
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 04:57 AM

I did some shopping around yesterday. I'm leaning strongly to the PK380. Any opinions of it?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 05:03 AM

I always go with what you love or like. If you have a local range that allows you to rent or try guns perhaps shooting different types with various handles for a feel.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 05:07 AM

The PK380 is a sweet firearm! I'll have to talk to hubby later, he's asleep right now.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 05:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    The PK380 is a sweet firearm!! I'll have to talk to hubby later, he's asleep right now.
    Do you have one? I'm liking Walther because my P22 has gone through over 3000 rounds now still no wear at all showing at the places where metal moves against metal.

They guy at my favorite gun shop is telling me that the PK380 is a "no brainer" gun. The reviews I've found so far say it's very reliable.

And the price is nice too. Just $349
    Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 05:47 AM

I carry a revolver, I limp wrist too easily (not much upper body strength after the mastectomy), so I don't want to risk a round hanging up in the chamber in an emergency.

I have both a .38 and .357, just depends on which one matches my outfit for the day.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I carry a revolver, I limp wrist too easily (not much upper body strength after the mastectomy), so I don't want to risk a round hanging up in the chamber in an emergency.

I have both a .38 and .357, just depends on which one matches my outfit for the day.
    So was your comment about the PK380 based on experience, or just the info at the Walther site I linked to?

As for rounds hanging up, I've been SUPER impressed with Walther. With my P22 I've only had a hung up round once or twice in the over 3000 rounds I've used it for.
    Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 06:22 AM

It's from experience. We have one that I shoot at the range, but I just don't carry semi autos for protection due to my limp wristing.
    Expert

Aug 13, 2010, 06:22 AM

Dang, I might even be able to get you a cheaper price!
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2010, 06:23 AM

Cool.
    I'm so excited to start my CCW class next month.

So lookout bad guys, I'll be packing!

... Well, I've always been packing, but now it will be legal :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2010, 04:43 PM

Rick,
    I realize you doin't want a heavier gauge firearm but how about a more oowerful one?
    I have a Super 38 Colt Commander Automatic One own owner pistol.
    Thie last time I checked this followed third behind a 44 mag and a 357 mag.
    This is a rare overseas model, having a barrel and clip that converts it from a Super 38 to a 9 mil Luger. ( I guess Super 38 ammunition was difficult to obtain overseas and I bought the gun from a Scottish National.)
    This gun has only been fired a few times and , science I use t as house protection, it's in exectlent condition. This is not only a primo firearm it's also a collectors item. The value can only go up.
    Interested? Google the Colt Commander Super 38 and make me a offer.
    Regards, Tom
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2010, 07:31 AM

I appreciate the offer, Tom, but no thanks.

Yesterday I couldn't resist further and got the PK380 (nego'd to $309)... took it to the range with my son and had an awesome time.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 14, 2010, 08:41 AM

No problem Rick,
    You're the firest person I've offered the gun to. Your PK380 should give you many happy hours out at the range and it has enough authority to serve as house protection. Good luck and safe and happy target shooting. Tom
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2010, 08:53 AM

Rick, I've got several handguns and long guns. I inherited dozens from my Grandfather and Father, and have obtained many more on my own over the last thirty odd years. If it's smaller caliber that you're looking for, the 380 can't be beat. I've got a sweet Browning 380 automatic. It's small, and very reliable. However, the accuracy is compromised due to the size and sights. But it's a great gun for close range use.

Have you ever shot a Walther P38? I've got one with the nazi stamp on it. Very reliable and accurate. Great weapon!
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2010, 08:56 AM

Thanks, jmjoseph but I'm set now. I'm thinking that my P22 and PK380 will offer hours of fun and good personal security for many years to come.
    Rover88 Posts: 68, Reputation: 14

Aug 15, 2010, 09:36 AM

Rick,
    I didn't get to post my opinions in time, but you ended up doing what I was going to recommend. Tom, that Colt is a sweet piece! Jmjposeph, I'm guessing the Browning .380 is the BDA? I have one, and love it.
    Bill
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2010, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover88 View Post
    Rick,
    I didn't get to post my opinions in time, but you ended up doing what I was going to recommend. Tom, that Colt is a sweet piece! Jmjposeph, I'm guessing the Browning .380 is the BDA? I have one, and love it.
    Bill
    Yes it is Bill, great gun.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Teenage Son Wants to Move in with "disneydad" -- right or wrong? [ 1 Answers ]

My son is 14 years-old -- I had him at a very young age and have since then been married and divorced. He has a 10 year old sister in my home. I have a live-in boyfriend... make a good living and go to school online, so I am home after 5pm. I'm very involved in both of my children's...

Landlord's Move-Out Report has "Wear and Tear" Charges [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I lived with our son in a Townhouse in Wausau, WI. Our lease was up in November of 2008, but never had us sign a new lease. I lost my job and we started to get behind in our rent. When we got our tax return we paid the rent we owed including late fees and such. My husband and I...

Out of state (from AZ) move with "joint custody" child? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in AZ and have joint custody of 9-year-old daughter. My ex-wife recently met someone out of state whom she plans on starting a life with, and she just informed me she plans on moving out of state with my daughter at the end of the school year. AZ law will not permit this, will it? What...

View more questions Search