Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aeditty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2010, 07:49 AM
    Can a concrete floor that has been stained be painted over with epoxy paint?
    I just stained a concrete floor with stain bought from The Home Depot. I am not happy with the way it looks so I want to know if I can just paint over it or do I have to strip the stain.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2010, 08:16 PM

The floor would have to be acid etched so epoxy will adhere to concrete. If going to do this, make sure u have good ventilation and wear protective clothing and respirator.

Chuck
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jun 18, 2010, 05:34 PM

I stained my garage floor and it won't look good until you seal it. I use ZEP high traffic floor finish and put down about 4 coats with 30 minutes between coats. You can get this at home depot.
    ZEP High Traffic Floor Finish, 128 Oz. - ZU0812128 at The Home Depot
    Name:  IMG_0664.jpg
Views: 21127
Size:  38.9 KB
    Maybe add another color stain to it using a sponge to give a different look. I used 2 stain colors and epoxy paint for the borders. I etched the concrete. Used concrete bonding primer and then tinted primer where I painted with epoxy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete shower floor repair (cracked, leaking & painted) [ 1 Answers ]

I am updating my rough basement bathroom. I have two very young children, a boy and a girl and funds are very limited especially around this time of year. (My daughter is only nine-months and I am already thinking about the bathroom issues between her and my son). The shower has a painted concrete...

How to clean concrete floor for epoxy paint [ 3 Answers ]

OK, quick question... I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to clean my basement floor in order to apply an epoxy paint. The floor is about 40 yrs old and has never had any paint, sealer or anything else applied to it... we have remodeled out basement. Put up drywall making bedrooms, laundry...

Painted wood cabinets stained from fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

My kitchen cabinets have become discolored from the fireplace located in the kitchen. What is the best way to remove these stains? The cabinets seem to have a lamenet finish on them and I cannot remove the stains. Thanks :

Converting a tile floor to a stained concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about taking up the tile in my kitchen and staining the concrete underneath it, but I don't know if it will be possible to get up all the stains left on the concrete from the tile. I do not want to take up the tile if there is too much of a possibility that the tile stains won't come...

Cleaning painted concrete floor [ 4 Answers ]

Hello , I need to clean a very stained and dirty concrete floor before some workmen paint it. Any suggestions on what cleaning materials to use. Thanks. Charlie.

View more questions Search