Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abbymimi Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Sep 23, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Old smell in cabinet
    We have a linen closet and a couple sets of cabinets that have an odor to them. It's not mold or any of the problem odors - just old and yucky smelling. Both are made of real wood with drywall in closet. Any suggestions regarding cleaning or keeping a cleaner smell?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 23, 2008, 07:13 PM
    If you want to keep the look but get rid of that odor try 2 coats of clear satin polyurathane. Repaint if you don't like the finish. Insurance companies use a silver spray paint to seal odors from fires, could try that.
    abbymimi Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Sep 24, 2008, 06:42 AM
    My cabinets are already painted... use the polyurathane over the paint?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 06:45 AM

Yes, on the inside. The poly will act like a seal keeping odors inside the material.
    johnster2008 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Oct 13, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Try using vinegar to wipe the wood down. Then put a large box of arm and hammer soda in each cadinet.After a few weeks the smell should be gone.I hope that helps you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mildew Smell Coming from Bathroom Sink/Cabinet [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, There is a mildew smell coming from my bathroom sink. I live on the ground/basement level of a newly renovated building. I've been here for two years, we had a flood the first year I was here (I cleaned my entire apartment with bleach afterwards and professionals came in and cleaned...

Old Cabinet [ 19 Answers ]

Hi. A couple of years ago I was given an old cabinet from my uncle. I know it was passed down from at least my great-grandmother. My mom was born in 1949 and my uncle's even earlier, so I'm guessing it was made in the early 1900's. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me any information...

Strange smell coming from underneath bathroom cabinet [ 7 Answers ]

After we remodeled our children's upstairs bathroom, it backs up to the attic, we had new insulation put in. This summer there is a terrible musty smell. I tried putting damp-rid products underneath cabinet to help the smell but the smell has intenisified! Help Also, the insulation in the garage...

Sewage smell coming from vanity cabinet area... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... I'm new here. I know that similar questions like this have been posed here before, but I'm still confused about my situation... We just bought a house a few months ago. It's a modular. Ever since we bought the place, there has been a sewage odor coming from the master bath vanity cabinet....

View more questions Search