Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kleanu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 07:15 PM
    Post Construction Clean Up
    Hi! Good Day to all of you!I just started doing my post construction clean up and as of now I do subcontracting from other company,and now I talk to one builder and he is asking me to give him my bid.Can anyone help me please.I am living here in Toronto,Canada.thanks and have a good day!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 6, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Kleanu, I've been in the commercial cleaning business for the last 35 years and we do almost every type of cleaning in the Chicago area.

If I understand your question correctly you are doing this construction clean up as a subcontractor for another cleaning company-correct?

If so I would consider you bound both ethically and morally if not legally (do you have a contract) to this company that you are doing the cleaning for, (the other cleaning company). I would assume that you knew nothing about this job prior to notice from this other company, and now you are being asked to give the client (construction contractor) a direct bid to him?

I wouldn't do it. It may be flattering and possibly more profitable however it is the most quick way to get a bad reputation in a close knit business. And if the construction manger knows that you are subbing for the other company, I then have serious questions about his ethics also.

I would tell the manager that you are bound to the other company for this job and you feel it is only right to honor that obligation. I don't know how much business you are presently getting as a sub for this company (possibly you may not want to jeopardize your present opportunities with them) however you could explain to the manager that you would appreciate another opportunity to bid directly to him in the future-he should respect that.

Stringer
    kleanu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 05:45 AM
    Thanks Stringer,Yes I have a contract to this company,but I am not going to bid (or to give give any bid)into the same company that they have already.I never do that now or even in the future because I have respect and thankful to them that they are the one who is giving me lot of jobs.Now I have other opportunity to give my bid into different company other than what they have in contract... please reply again thanks for your info
    Business Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 06:36 AM
    I think this is the proper thing to do.

Good luck, if I may help in the future just post again,
    Stringer
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer
    Kleanu, I've been in the commercial cleaning business for the last 35 years and we do almost every type of cleaning in the Chicago area.

If I understand your question correctly you are doing this construction clean up as a subcontractor for another cleaning company-correct?

If so I would consider you bound both ethically and morally if not legally (do you have a contract) to this company that you are doing the cleaning for, (the other cleaning company). I would assume that you knew nothing about this job prior to notice from this other company, and now you are being asked to give the client (construction contractor) a direct bid to him?

I wouldn't do it. It may be flattering and possibly more profitable however it is the quickest way to get a bad reputation in a close knit business. And if the construction manger knows that you are subbing for the other company, I then have serious questions about his ethics also.

I would tell the manager that you are bound to the other company for this job and you feel it is only right to honor that obligation. I don't know how much business you are presently getting as a sub for this company (possibly you may not want to jeopardize your present opportunities with them) however you could explain to the manager that you would appreciate another opportunity to bid directly to him in the future-he should respect that.

Stringer
    Excellent answer based upon experience and insight!
    Business Expert

Sep 7, 2007, 10:35 PM
    Thank you Clough, I believe we could be friends.

Stringer
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 10:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer
    Thank you Clough, I believe we could be friends.

Stringer
    You are most welcome, Stringer! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Construction [ 1 Answers ]

What is nsc in construction contract

New Construction [ 8 Answers ]

My mother in-law is building a house in Mexico. I already did the wiring in the house and we have to run the service feeds from the meter 150' away. We have a 200 amp panel and I am going to run it underground on a 2" conduit and are going to use 4/0 aluminum. My question is do I need a breaker @...

New construction [ 1 Answers ]

We are building a new townhouse in Virginia. Would you recommend copper or pvc piping throughout the home and why. Thank you...

New construction [ 3 Answers ]

I plan to have a house built, and circumstances (financial and otherwise) Necessitate that I assume some of the construction chores such as plumbing, Electrical, floor plan design, and contracting. I'm probably way over my Head on the plumbing task because I've had very little experience. The...

Construction [ 1 Answers ]

How much does it cost to build a parliament in a developing country?

View more questions Search