Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jazzyjoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Converting from propane to electric heat
    I have a 4000 sq ft house and I have propane for heating. My heating bill for the winter is 700-800 dollars per month. I live in dallas tx. I would like to to replace my heating system with an electrical heating system. How expensive could this be?
    pocojo Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 02:31 PM
    I assure you will pay much more with electric heat.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pocojo View Post
    I assure you will pay much more with electric heat.
    This is according to where you live. Check with the utility companies to compare cost . Is very different in many places I know where I live a lot of people changed over from natural gas to electric and are saving a bunch of bucks. Not say it will allways be this way ,but for now and the past 3 years it has been much cheaper to heat with electric
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 02:56 PM

If you look at the bottom of this page,you'll see similar questions and their answers.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Cost of energy between electric and propane is one thing, I believe your asking about the cost to install new electric heat.

Keep in mind, you will most likely need to upgrade your electric service also.

Pricing a project here is difficult, unless someone here is from the same area and did the same project.

Best to contact a few electrical contractors to layout, design, and provide you estimates.

My guess is $4000.00 to $6000.00.

Let us know how close I got once your get your quotes.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Dec 8, 2008, 07:39 AM

By electrical heating system do you mean heat pump or electric baseboards, or electric furnace?

If you post your per gallon propane price and your KWH price (including taxes), I can reply with some operational cost comparisons of propane furnace versus baseboard versus heat pump.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting forced ac and heat from propane to electric [ 1 Answers ]

With the propane prices going through the roof, I was wondering how much it would cost and even if it is possible to convert our forced ac/heating from propane to electric? Propane is running close to $5.00/gal. We came from a home that had natural gas. Our gas bill in the summer was about...

Converting From Gas to Electric Heat [ 1 Answers ]

I live in New Jersey and plan on installing a Solar Electrical Power system in my new home. Although I understand the Gas Heat is more efficient, if I will generating my own electrical power, I would want to consider converting my Gas heat to Electric to save on the increasing price of my Gas...

Advantages of converting from propane heat to electric heat for home use [ 1 Answers ]

When is it an advantage to convert from propane heat to electric heat in a residential home? Also could you give me a rough idea of what it costs to make this transition? Thank you. :confused:

Converting from gas to electric heat. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a rental property that has gas heat. I would like to convert it to electric because of the high price of gas in the VA area. On average, how costly and difficult would this be? It is a carrier heat pump.

Converting From Gas to Electric Heat [ 3 Answers ]

I'm buying a home in southern WV which is gas heated and has electric a/c. The current owners pay $123 and $35 per month respectfully on the budget plan which seems way out of kilter to me. Notwithstanding the individual user differences and that the price of electricity here is way less...

View more questions Search