Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzelynn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 07:17 AM
    Parent leaving country with child without other parent's knowledge
    Is a parent allowed to leave the country with a minor child without the other parent's knowledge or consent?

Who do I contact about this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2012, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by suzelynn View Post
    Is a parent allowed to leave the country with a minor child without the other parent's knowledge or consent?

Who do I contact about this?

I don't know what you mean by "who do [you] contact?" Are you the parent who left with the child or the parent left behind?

Yes, you need the permission of both parents - in writing.

Contact the other parent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 17, 2012, 08:26 AM
    They should not be able to get the passport and visa to leave the country ( USA) without written permission of both.

What is the custody status, but you go to court and get a order demanding the return of the child, maybe a temp custody order. If they do, have them found in contempt and a order for their arrest. Then try to get the other nation to honor it to get chlld returned.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    They should not be able to get the passport and visa to leave the country ( USA) without written permission of both. ...
    Except that passport and possibly visa are required to enter another country, not leave this one. But in effect it's six of one and a half dozen of the other.
    suzelynn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2012, 06:54 PM
    I am the parent who was left behind. My husband has visitation with her and took her out of the country without my knowledge. I don't know what he is planning or when/if they are coming back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custodial parent wants to take child out of country for two months [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm the custodial parent and I would like to take my 3 year old son out of the country (Croatia)for two months this summer. I've spoken to his mother and she said it would be fine. Since we have 50/50 legal, what permission or documents would I need from the courts? She has 20%...

Custodial parent sent child to live in foreign country with grandparents [ 7 Answers ]

What is the non-custodial parent's obligation when the custodial parent sends the child to live with grandparents in another country without notifying non-custodial parent/court/DCSE, etc. prior?

Taking a child out of the country by a non-custodial parent [ 1 Answers ]

I am the primary custodial parent of a 21 month-old baby, and her father, who has visitation took her to Costa Rica on his family's private jet without getting written consent from me. I thought the law was either parent custodial and non-custodial parents have to get written consent before taking...

View more questions Search