Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    71knight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 09:41 AM
    Free harley davidson troubleshooting
    All electrical works but hit stater switch then nothing
    slapz Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Mar 31, 2010, 06:31 AM

I have '57 pan, installed new points and plugs. Fires first kick but then starts bacfiring and running rough, won't idle. Sounds like an electrical problem. Before it would start run a couple of minutes, then die. If you let tit sit a couple of minutes would start again. Sounds like runnining out of gas. Have a linkert (what else?). Float may have been stuck.
    Hammond1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Apr 18, 2010, 10:26 AM
    I have a 07 Harley RKC . Last week It took me about 15 times to start her when I hit the start button This week it won't start but everything works. All systems go except starting? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill
    viking551200 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 08:04 PM
    Check starter switch internals, connections to starter, starter relay
    skrfevr Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Nov 29, 2010, 05:56 PM
    2002 Deuce EFI Installed brand new battery and next day completely dead. Installed another fully charged brand new battery and also next day completely dead. Did not leave ignition on and either.

What it could be?
    tazman13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2011, 12:10 PM
    06 harley softail stardard with not crank and the starter with not click. Have a new batt. checked fuses and relays
    cletus1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 04:10 AM
    How to remove radio volumn swith on 08 ultra classic
    PeterHD13 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2012, 04:17 AM
    Check your throw out on late models 1989 on (Electro Magnetic) the copper ring gets covered in muck , black stuff so does the contacts it hits which transfer current through the ring to the starter motor. Disconnect the battery ,There's an access panel with three screws a gasket. Undo it slowly holding the panel as the throw out shaft is spring loaded so it returns back from the clutch stater ring when you take your finger off the switch ( a small metal ball might come out at the end of the spring so watch it) . Pull out the shaft and clean the ring with contact cleaner same for the two contacts that you will see bolt through the Housing. Get a Clymer Manual you'll see the diagram. I just scrape the muck away with sandpaper, a file , pen knife of stainless wool etc. It's a regular maintenance thing the muck is caused by heat generated by the closing circuit , electrical burning. If the copper ring is badly worn or the contacts from constantly hitting each other you can get rebuild kits from H-D or aftermarket. Also there are two small enamelled wires running into the magnetic coil. I had them come away or someone cut them at a shop for return work. If there broken the Magnetic coil won't get power and won't pull the throw out shaft through. I found I only needed one wire off the right hand power input and soldered to the two exposed ends after scraping back the non cunductive enamel and the nylon looking insulation at the coil. It's a real finicky job as there's not much to work with. You'll see what I mean when you look at the bolted through contacts. After I fixed it it worked fine. It came loose once and I had to redo it. As it sparked on the case when the bike ran it caused a miss.

If you ever get stuck when the ring doesn't throw out I discovered I could take off the door turn on the ignition , fuel, bike in neutral and push the ring manually to contact the power contacts with a screw driver on the insulator hole in the middle (looks like bakealite opr masonite ring) got it started a few times like that. I had an idea that it'd be great to put a button through the door so I could just push it like an old car starter and bypass the starte button electrics, but I found on eBay someone's had the same idea and the make doors with buttons now so I bought one they only fit 91 on starters though as there smaller than my 89 so I had to buy a new assembly to use it but my old one still goes as I keep cleaning it and I put a rebuild kit in a year or so ago.

Or alternatively a wire could've come off at your starter switch I had this happen too. Disassemble the accelator housing and check the wiring I had to solder mine not pretty but it still works. Corrosion gets at the soldered ends ( dry joints) and they break strip back the insulation and try and resolder them it's a bit like microsurgery or if your rich see if an auto electrician will do it. To can purchase new switches I'm still waiting on mine been 3 months as I'm in Australia and my bike FLTCU 1990 parts are becoming obsolete,I ordered a sporter switch set as it looked the same and all that was available from a US parts supplier on Ebay who ran out of stock.

Hope this helps you to get Rock n Rolling again
    troll1961 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jun 22, 2012, 09:29 PM
    I have 2011 tri glide and has lack of power in higher gear 6 gear will not hold 60mph
    RayOy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2012, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 71knight View Post
    All electrical works but hit stater switch then nothing
    Have you checked the HD Forums .com ? They have a section for older Harleys.
    mc134 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 06:56 AM
    I have an "09 Electra Glide Police Editon. While riding intermittantly the red battery light and Check engine light will come on. The gauge will at times drop to 11 - 11.5. After a few on/off ignition cycles it will go back up and the lights will go off. Any thoughts?
    RayOy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2012, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mc134 View Post
    I have an "09 Electra Glide Police Editon. While riding intermittantly the red battery light and Check engine light will come on. The gauge will at times drop to 11 - 11.5. After a few on/off ignition cycles it will go back up and the lights will go off. Any thoughts?
    Hey mc134 Is your bike still under warranty? If it is let your dealer know your problem. It sounds like you could have an intermittent loose wire or wires . I would first check your battery connections and where your main ground wire connects to the frame.All bikes on the road can have the same problem. If your bike is out of warranty find a good mechanic that is familiar with the newer Harleys. I live in Arizona and I have a good mechanic that can work on all big bikes.I don't trust dealers. Also the HD forum could help you. It is an excellent site. I hop this info helps.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2012, 05:10 AM
    May be in the Ignition Switch. A meter will compare voltage into and out of Ignition switch.
    RayOy, he is at the right place(AMHD)
    ralph e Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2012, 07:38 AM
    Cruise control problems set it . It shuts it self right back off
    jax5917 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 12:53 PM
    04 superglide parked 30 min tried starting no power battery full charge ?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2012, 12:27 PM
    Any sign of power? Lights, indicators?
    Turns on but won't crank?
    verntanny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2012, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by troll1961 View Post
    I have 2011 tri glide and has lack of power in higher gear 6 gear will not hold 60mph
    Tri the screamin eagle se251 cams. And a two into one exhaust. Also check out R.B. racing web site. It's not just for racers.
    Rexharley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2013, 06:29 AM
    I have a 2009 Harley Davidson Ultra Deluxe. Everything turns on, but when I push the start button, nothing happens... not even a click.
    Snoopy Doug Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2013, 06:14 AM
    I have a 2002 Road King with a new S&S 126 crate motor. When I start gearing down to come to a stop, The bike starts shuddering & vibrateing with or without the clutch in or out. After the stop the bike takes off normal. What could this be?Where should I start looking?
    cronic94 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2013, 07:03 PM
    I have an 88 Sportster 1200 engine misses.While trouble shooting I found that if I unplug the headlight bulb the miss would go away. I thought I had a ground problem between the frame and triple tree. I made a ground wire to go from the frame to the triple tree it seemed to help for a short period. Any suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Harley Davidson Decals [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking for a specific harley davidson decal. It came out about 3 years ago. It was a tiger and face claws with the body extending out in flames and underneath the tiger was the harley logo and next to that it says untamed. I was wondering if anyone knows what decal I am talking about or...

Troubleshooting on harley davidson motorcycle [ 4 Answers ]

Does a 1975 Harley Davidson motorcyle need to have lead added to unleaded gasoline to run correctly?

Harley Davidson decals [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for wholesale Harley Davidson decals to put on a trailer that you pull behind your cycle. I've checked eBay but am still looking for just the ones for the side. Don't want hog flames or skeletons or anything like that. Thanks to anyone that replies.

Harley Davidson [ 3 Answers ]

The inventor of the Harley-Davidson motorcycle, Arthur Davidson, died and went to heaven. At the gates, St. Peter told Arthur. 'Since you've been such a good man and your motorcycles have changed the world, your reward is, you can hang out with anyone you want to in heaven.' Arthur...

View more questions Search