Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kenskites Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2011, 11:49 PM
    I have an underground service for my cablevision and it leaks a lot.
    Itried usong "great stuff" and that just slowed id. I took out the "good stuff" and now I have to empty 5 gal pails of water from the leak. Is there anyway to stop this?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 4, 2011, 02:04 AM
    Please describe 'it' better. Poured concrete wall? Cinder block? Rubble?
    Great Stuff isn't for any of those kinds of leaks. Answer below in more detail.

Mar 4, 2011, 02:45 AM

It's a concrete foundation with Sched 40 that was run below the surface. The problem is that the pipe itself has water in it, the only line coming through that pipe is my cablevision, I have to stop the leak and don't want to dig up the entire line to try and fix it. I believe I just need to seal the pipe so that the water stays within.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 4, 2011, 03:39 AM
    Hydrostatic pressure is very strong. I don't get why cable is run through that pipe to begin with; I would dig outside your foundation and run it up the outside wall and in through the framing/siding with a simple rubber grommet. Then cap off the PVC. Cable is unattractive running along a house but it's better than dealing with leaks.

Mar 4, 2011, 03:46 AM
    I know that but all the services to this house are underground. I just want to stop the leaking. Would a hydro type cement do the job? How about Silicon? Any other suggestions?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2011, 03:50 AM
    Hydraulic cement should work, you may need to dig down outside at the point this conduit and seal it there also, just to be sure.

Mar 4, 2011, 03:57 AM
    I still think that you don't quite understand. The leak is not from around the pipe, it is coming out of the pipe. Do you still think that the Hydrolic cement would work? Pipe is Sched 40 PVC.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2011, 05:26 AM
    Ahh Ok gotcha. I have seen this problem and I have seen hydralic cement installed inside the pipe with the cable coming through the cement. This usually works, however, what ends up happening then is the pipe can fill up with water, and the pressure may end up being too much for the cement to hold back.

With electrical lines what I have done is dig down outside a few feet away from the foundation, intercept the pipe and cut out and remove a section of pipe, say a foot or two. Prepare the base below the pipe with gravel leaving about six inches or so of space.

Next seal the conduit going in the direction of the building at this point, leaving the other pipe open to drain into the gravel base. Then I install a handhole enclosure above the cut pipe leaving the opening below the pipe for water to drain into, and end up with an access plate at grade level in the event the cable needs to be replaced at a later date.

Here is what a handhole looks like:

HandHole.com

Landscapers use smaller versions for lawn sprinkler systems, for example.

This method, while not easy due to the digging and cutting the conduit without cutting the cable inside, and then the cost of the handhole, is a tried and true method that will stop the water permenently.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2011, 01:33 PM
    I would pack in as much silicone caulk as possible, jam paper or fiberglass insulation in to dam it and tape it as tightly as possible. I don't believe this is a hydraulic pressure problem, the cable isn't more than a foot below grade. It will ultimately seal. Silicone is what the phone companies use for similar conditions. My well pipe comes in 2 ft. below grade and the PVC conduit is filled with silicone and hasn't leaked in 10 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Patching 2-2-2-4 underground service cable [ 6 Answers ]

This is about a 200' run to a workshop/office. It was nicked during excavation several years ago and subsequently developed a break (water penetrated the patch and turned the aluminum to powder). At that time, I dug up the cable, and had a local electrician splice with some epoxy type connector,...

Underground Electrical Service Entrance [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking of having the electrical service entrance buried when a backhoe is on site to install a new water service. 200A service. 142' pole to meter. Would use PVC conduit full length. Correct size and designation of wire? Correct size of PVC conduit? Info needed to price materials. I...

Mechanical protection (Residential) Underground service. [ 2 Answers ]

How far must mechanical protection be provided when underground service conductors are carried up a pole?

Shower diverter leaks a lot. [ 3 Answers ]

The shower diverter on a Moen #82402 leaks a lot, what should I do to correct this, and how do you disassemble it?

View more questions Search