Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sachintax0115 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2010, 03:27 PM
    Married Filing Jointly Multiple States for Spouse
    Hi folks,
    I had income for WA(3 months) and OR (9months) for the year 2009. My spouse had income only for 3 months. Her income is in CA and she resided WA (3months) and OR (9months). So essentially I have to file Non-Resident Tax for her in CA and file Resident Tax in OR.

My question is can I do "Married Filing Jointly". We intend to file jointly. I ask this question since I have to Non Resident Tax for her alone in CA.

If I use the turbo tax How do I get the Resident Tax calculated.

One more question. Do I need to send a new W4 form to my employer as my wife started working? In my previous W4 form I put my wife as dependent. Still we intend to file Jointly.

Thanks a lot,
    Sachin
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 17, 2010, 10:53 PM
    You will file JOINTLY for Oregon and California, because both states require you file jointly if you file that way on your FEDERAL return.

You will pay taxes to California only on the California-sourced income.

You will pay taxes to Oregon only on the income earned during the period when you resided in Oregon; if that coincides with the timeyou worked in California, then Oregon should give you a credit for the taxes paid to California.
    sachintax0115 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2010, 02:24 PM

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert,
    Thanks for your help. I'm on a working visa (H1B), as I mentioned in my earlier post, do I have to change anything in my W4 to my employer? I'm bit confused with the role of W4 and taxes withheld during the year and the amount in W2.

Thanks in Advance,
    Sachin
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 10:26 AM
    Change your W-4 to MARRIED with TWO allowances. That is the maximum allowances you are allowed to claim under special IRS withholding rules for foreign nationals.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married Filing Jointly, different states confusion [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Me and My spouse work in different states. My husband works in Louisiana and I work in Florida. When we filed our 2008 taxes, we filed as Married filing jointly. When we filed our Louisiana taxes, it took into account my income also. But I never earned any money in Louisiana. So, we...

Married filing jointly, from different states? [ 2 Answers ]

I know you guys are super busy at this time of the year. But please help me when you find some time. Background:- I (on F1) am from MN and my wife(on J1) is from Texas. We maintain independent places of home and work (pay rent, utilities etc independently at MN and TX and are not often at the...

Married filing jointly but resident of two states [ 1 Answers ]

My wife took a job and she and kids moved to OH in Sept rent a place and kids stated school in OH. I lived and worked in KY whole year. We still have house in KY. How can we file tax this year should it be 1. filing jointly 2. filing separately. The issue is with states. I still need to be a...

Married filing jointly from different states-F1 [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and me are international students and have F1 visas. My wife is a resident alien, lives in MN. I am a non-resident alien live in NY. We intend to file the tax under "married jointly" category. We decided to file my status as resident as per Publication 519 for Federal return. My problem is...

Married filing jointly from different states-F1 [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and me are international students and have F1 visas. My wife is a resident alien, lives in MN. I am a non-resident alien live in NY. We intend to file the tax under "married jointly" category. We decided to file my status as resident as of Publication 519 for Federal return. My problem is...

View more questions Search