Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 01:52 AM
    I have an early morning so better get off here and bid you all a good evening! Just can't walk past the computer on my way to bed without checking one more time!!

Night All!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 01:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    Hi. I did notice your post regarding milkweed pods. I have gone to the woods in search of items to place in dried flower arrangements. I have a very tall pottery vase, about 3/4 of my height. I found sage plentiful and added other treasures from the woods, some being milk weed pods. When I go, most things of this nature are already dried and have formed magnificent shapes. Some look like insects, others like exotic tropical flowers when painted bright colors, others quite dressy in a black vase with pods painted with Emperors Gold acrylic paint. If they are not dried, pop them open, clean them out and let dry in a warm room or put in a dehydrator. My knowledge of working with milkweed pods is very limited. I will see if I have some here and make sure they are the milkweed pods I am describing but I am pretty sure that is what they are called. If not, I will let you know ASAP......well.........tomorrow. Sorry not to be positive about my information.
    Thanks, Jan! You are incredibly helpful as always! :) I figured that this would be your kind of thing! Would you mind posting something like this on the Milkweed post? I'm asking that sheepishily, because you have already posted here.

I am working to see if this high school student on the other thread has a bent towards painting, drawing, etc. or writing. I will be inviting her over to this thread if she does. Actually, maybe acting could also be a part of this this thread since it's an art also? Hmmmmmm?? :confused:
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 02:08 AM
    I have an early morning so better get off here and bid you all a good evening! Just can't walk past the computer on my way to bed without checking one more time!!!!

Night All!
    I know exactly what you mean about checking the computer! :eek:

Good night and sweet dreams to you, Jan! :)
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 02:31 AM
    Hey Soul Sister! Do you have Milkweed Pods up your way???
    Oh, you betcha! Two things are quite plentiful where I live - milkweed and burdocks. (Hence a LOT of butterflies and hours of brushing Thunder's coat as he tends to sit in the burdocks every day!)

Actually, Orangeville is something like the dragonfly capital of the world. It is amazing how many there are and how large they can be! Not that this has anything to do with Milkweed Pods! Hahahaha!

My sister makes angels out of milkweed pods. I must get her to do one and send a photo of it.

Jan, your leaf paintins are beautiful! I really like that idea and will probably steal it. What brand-name of acrylics do you use? Are they tubes or little bottles? Thank you, Craig for asking all the questions. Now I can steal Jan's ideas quite well! Hahaha!

Sean, I loved your most recent art! Have you ever considered doing art for computer games, advertising, animated movies, etc? You really do have a skill for it. I used to be on a computer graphics forum and these guys would have killed to be able to get art like that! Have you ever tried creating using computer graphics programs or worked with Adobe PhotoShop, Dreamweaver, Paint Shop Pro, CorelDraw, Xara, Corel Painter, ArtRage, SketchBook Pro or any other Digital Art software?

If you'd like to try some out, here is a page where you can read about them, and try some out: Art-Oriented Graphics Software. I would love to see anything you try out if you do! It's possible you aren't interested in this type of expression, but I really think you have a raw talent for it.

Hugs, Didi
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 02:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grammadidi
    Sean, I loved your most recent art! Have you ever considered doing art for computer games, advertising, animated movies, etc? You really do have a skill for it. I used to be on a computer graphics forum and these guys would have killed to be able to get art like that! Have you ever tried creating using computer graphics programs or worked with Adobe PhotoShop, Dreamweaver, Paint Shop Pro, CorelDraw, Xara, Corel Painter, ArtRage, SketchBook Pro or any other Digital Art software?

If you'd like to try some out, here is a page where you can read about them, and try some out: Art-Oriented Graphics Software. I would love to see anything you try out if you do! It's possible you aren't interested in this type of expression, but I really think you have a raw talent for it.

Hugs, Didi
    That's an excellent idea, Didi! :D
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 02:37 AM
    To all of my artist friends,

I am going to be gone for a few days to play a gig in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Will be back on here on Sunday evening.

I wish you all well, and happy sharing with one another! :)

Craig
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 02:41 AM
    Have a good weekend, Craig. Enjoy yourself and break a finger or two! ;) I will miss your witty, procrastinating, precise posts.

Hugs, Didi
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2007, 02:51 AM
    Have a good weekend, Craig. Enjoy yourself and break a finger or two! ;) I will miss your witty, procrastinating, precise posts.

Hugs, Didi
    Thank you so much, Didi! Believe-it-or-not, I already did (I think?). But, that is for later discussion. Am off to bed. Tomorrow, have to get ready to leave and maybe catch up on some email that I am really behind on. Y'all are so very kind! There is no accident why this is all taking place and that we have met each other at this juncture in our lives. I am sure of that!

Goodnight and sweet dreams to you Christine!

p.s. Whadya mean, procrastinating posts? :mad: I will get to responding to what you just said when I get around to it... :eek:
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Nov 9, 2007, 03:07 AM
    Didi, great idea :)
    I use photoshop, but have never really done much with it art wise
    I have done some stuff using macromedia flash in it class I mite show you (dunno if this site supports flash files tho)
    I'm not terribly great at flash movies, but I am okayish I guess, a lot of the flash stuff I did was actually just pictures with no movement/movieishness in them, just because I liked using flash to draw as opposed to other things like paint etc which suck lolz
    Started carving up polystyrene with a hot wire cutter today, will take a camera to class next week so you gals/guys can get an idea of what its like
    I was a bit worried at one point, because I looked across the table at one of my fellow art students, mark, who was wearing a mask and then I though... why is he wearing a mask? Maybe I should wear one
    Turns out the fumes/smoke that comes of the polystyrene when the hot wire cutter disintegrates its way through the polystyrene may be somewhat poisonous!(if directtly inhaled) :0 so now I wear a mask, just to be safe (im a bit worried about the others, gosh? Don't girls have any idea of safety? Me and mark the only guys in the class, and we the only ones wearing masks! They girls also have been the only ones to cut themselves/glue there fingers together etc throughout the course of the class (its all been rather minor and the teacher takes care to warn us about stuff like that) lolz, art is bad for the environment too (the art students probably use 20% of the schools paper usage, and we probably responsible for a lot of the greenhouse emissions as we spray hair spray stuff etc to seal our works etc
    But don't get all worried everyone art is much safer than you guys may think from this post lolz :)
    Can't wait to see more art!
    Lolz our art teacher accidentally melted part of my friend emilys sculpture! He put glue on it (the only glue that is good for the polystyrene is the glue from hot glue guns, other glues melt it, polystyrene is so weak! You can melt it with any aerosol/spray paint, with most glues, and we cut it with ease with wire cutters which work by just passing 2 volts through bit of metal wire which then just makes any polystyrene it touches disappear lolz)
    (a hot knife through butter? Doesn't match up to a hot wire cutter through polystyrene)
    Oops... looks like I babbled a bit and got carried away
    Forgive me my long post lolz! This kind of art has got me excited lolz
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 05:44 AM
    Don't worry about the mask, I hotwired loads of plastic foam to no ill effect over the years. Hmm but than again I am a girl so maybe that's why I think it's OK!

I got high molarity HCl up my nose the other day, it's burny but almost nice... Ethyl ethanoate is my favourite noxious chemical smell, kind of like really strong salt and vinegar. I used to really like the smell of petrole when I was little. My charger caught on fire the other day and now I remember how rubbish burning plastic smells.

Nov 9, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Burning smells so nice
    Burny feelings are very nice in my opinion so I know what you mean temple

Nov 9, 2007, 06:59 AM
    hehe! Weekend tomorrow! Time to go sleep (well, time to go and try to sleep, but only really achieve 3-5 hours of imitation sleep, a few hours of sleep, and then a few hours of lying in bed in the morning trying to get the energy to get up LOLZ)
    I'm going to see a medical person of sum kind soon got an appointment at some time I think to work out my sleep issues
    hope to see lots more art soon
    next 2 days are very valuable days! So much IT work to do (all the other students in IT get to play shooting games against each other because they handed all there IT work in, I have a few late assignements to hand in, then I can inflate my ego by thoroughly kicking against a bunch of girls who have no idea how to play or who's the enemy, and getting my ego deflated by the guys showing how much better they are than me at these games)
    and hopefully on the weekend I can go scrounging at harvey norman for sheets of polystyrene foam :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Oh, you betcha! Two things are quite plentiful where I live - milkweed and burdocks. (Hence a LOT of butterflies and hours of brushing Thunder's coat as he tends to sit in the burdocks every day!)

Actually, Orangeville is something like the dragonfly capital of the world. It is amazing how many there are and how large they can be! Not that this has anything to do with Milkweed Pods! Hahahaha!

My sister makes angels out of milkweed pods. I must get her to do one and send a photo of it.

Jan, your leaf paintins are beautiful! I really like that idea and will probably steal it. What brand-name of acrylics do you use? Are they tubes or little bottles? Thank you, Craig for asking all the questions. Now I can steal Jan's ideas quite well! Hahaha!

Hugs, Didi
    Hey Sis! I use both bottles and tube, depending on what surface I am painting on and what texture I want. If I am painting on leaves, I like bottle acrylics. They are already a smooth, even consistency and you don't want to have to work the leaf too much with the brush, although they are tougher than one would think. I like Americana in the bottle but have used several others. Sometimes, one has colors the other doesn't. I have always loved Grumbacher Tube paints, oil (although I no longer paint with oils) or acrylic. The colors seem more true and pure, seems to have lots of pigment. OK now Didi, I will be watching the thread to view your leaf paintings. :) They really are a lot of fun. I think you will enjoy much! :cool:

Please do post the angels made of milkweed pods!

Cal, you have had experience with lots of mediums. I am anxious to keep up with your growth as an artist and as a person. You have a jump start on so many your age but I am not sure you see that in yourself... much potential for great success!

Nov 9, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Milkweed pod angels? Show me show me :)
    Thank you jrebel, I wish I could see success in my future but its hard for me to imagine anything but failure
    Oh well

Nov 9, 2007, 09:52 PM
    Oh well... just broke up with my girlfriend then
    Oh well, it was a mutual thing and was the right thing to do.
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 10:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    milkweed pod angels? show me show me :)
    thankyou jrebel, i wish i could see success in my future but its hard for me to imagine anything but failure
    oh well
    Cal, through life, most people see others talent, love for life, self-assurance and assume that they never have fears or see failure in life. We all fail. I fail in things everyday but I also excel in some areas. Please concentrate on your positive qualities and venture to your bright future. You are the only one who can make your future take shape in a positive way. So many on the thread have so much confidence in you. ;) You are a dandy!
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 11:32 PM
    Cal, I am trying to send a PM to you but says your box is full. If you delete one I will resend.

Nov 10, 2007, 09:45 PM
    Okay jrebel ill empty my box a little

Nov 10, 2007, 09:50 PM
    Its empty :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Hi there Cal! I just sent it. I had written it last night and when I couldn't send, I saved a copy to send later. I hope you receive it soon. I will stay on line for a bit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need the name of the artist [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the song and/or the name of the song with the lyrics "tell me if you want me to"

Name of artist [ 1 Answers ]

its goes something like: it was me and you i thought we could nananana. something like that. HELP!:confused:

Where can an artist go... [ 1 Answers ]

Where can an artist go to interact with other musicians online? My girlfriend is an amazing singer/songwriter who also plays acoustic guitar but doesn't really know where she can find band members, etc. I was hoping that someone on here may know. She's got an amazing voice and can really put some...

Name the artist [ 2 Answers ]

I have just downloaded,f**k it(dont want you back) by eamon. I want to know the full name of his ex misses and the songs title she produced in reply to the above.

Need artist name [ 4 Answers ]

The song's name is Angel Its kind of a remake of madonna's It's a dance/electronica version

View more questions Search