Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmbrewob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 11:40 PM
    Black Lab Very Dry Skin
    I have a 6 month old black lab puppy with very dry skin. Puppy dandruff shampoo does not seem to help. Any suggestions?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Bathe him as little as possible, and if you do bathe him, be very carefully to rinse out every last trace of shampoo. Regular brushing will control odor. Use a soft bristle brush. When he sheds in the spring, switch to a slicker brush with the curved metal teeth. I find them very effective. Others like the brushes with the large rubber cone teeth.

Most of his calories should come from a commercial dog chow, by now switching to an adult chow. All but the cheapest ones contain the essential fatty acids needed to give a healthy skin and coat. It is very easy to make sure your dog is getting the complete and balanced diet it needs by feeding a dog chow.

If cutting out baths, brushing, and a good diet do not reduce the itching in a month, you may need to talk to the vet. Allergies are all too common.
    Insane_Rain13 Posts: 9, Reputation: 5

Jan 29, 2006, 10:57 AM
    Try using oatmeal bath when you want to bathe your dog. You can find it in pet supply stores or even in your local pharmacy. It is basically the stuff we bathe in when we have the chickenpoxes. Your dog might have allergies and may need to take meds for them or may even need shots from the vet. If the dry skin continues you should see the vet about it.
    Best of luck!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2006, 11:19 AM
    Hi,
    Welcome to this site, and thank you for posting a question here.
    As another stated below:
    "If cutting out baths, brushing, and a good diet do not reduce the itching in a month, you may need to talk to the vet. Allergies are all too common."

I would either call or take the puppy to the Vet now. You can try all the above, but it might not solve the dry skin problem. I know the other answer said wait a month or so, but, the Vet might know what will definitely help now, and can help now with treatment, special shampoo, or whatever the Vet thinks.
    I do wish you and your puppy the best, and I'm sure it will work out OK.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2006, 04:11 PM
    I have been answering dog questions for years on a number of sites. Almost all of the ones about dry skin and itching contain descriptions of what the dog is being bathed in, often the oatmeal. As I said, I seldom bath my dogs. Not only do I have them out in public a lot, I have them around people whose job it is to make sure I am caring for them right. Nobody ever says anything about an odor problem. Brushing is a far better solution than any kind of baths.
    Insane_Rain13 Posts: 9, Reputation: 5

Jan 29, 2006, 05:47 PM
    Before my cat passed away she had really bad skin allergies and the vet can give a medicated oatmeal bath. My vet says that it is one of the best things to do for your pet with dry skin, because most animals are not allergic to oatmeal and it soothes the skin.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What's The Best Lightening Cream For Black Skin So Far [ 8 Answers ]

. Was Wondering What's The Best Lightening Product, Is It... 1, Fair And Flawless 2, Makari, 3, Godiva 4, Clear Essence 5... Name Da Rest

Black Skin? [ 4 Answers ]

Well I'm a girl, and I have brown skin, (african!) and I was just wondering if any others have tried tanning their skin to get a one golden colour all over, does any other black girls or men know if this works, or if ANY ONE DOES regardless of colour could help answer this would be helpful. I also...

Black Soot [ 7 Answers ]

Checked my gas furnace filter and found it to be totally black. This condition occurred a few months earlier this year. The filter is changed monthly,so there were two filter changes that appeared normal. Is my flue loading? The furnace is 8yrs. Old.

Skin lightner for African/African American/Black people? [ 46 Answers ]

Ok I am fairly new on this site and I am having a hard time figuring out what race is everyone. I am not trying to racist or anything. What works on other races doesn't work on black people and vice versa... With that being said... Hi, Im Amina. I was a mid brown color. Before going to college...

Black heads [ 3 Answers ]

I have lots of black heads or little hair like growths on my whole back & butt. Don't know what causes them. It looks so bad. Is there any thing i can do about it? I am so embarrassed about it. Edven my husband has a clean back & butt being a man.

View more questions Search