Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    titon132003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2009, 02:11 PM
    How to record a credit note
    Hi ! Can someone help me with this question.
    How can I record a credit note?
    For example :
    On the 9 of June A returned 9 Cameras that original sold for $2431 each . These item costs $1890 each and were not faulty or damaged. Issued a credit note for $21879.

Thank you
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2009, 02:33 PM

You will have to sets of entries here:

One will be for Sales Returns
    Debit Sales Returns for the sales price
    Credit Accounts Receivable

And the other one will be for Inventory return
    Debit Inventory for cost of the merchandise
    Credit Cost of Good Sold
    satyanarayanara Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

May 1, 2009, 02:33 AM

The above question and answer are not clear. While returning goods to the seller the purchaser will return the goods along with a Debit Note. After receiving the returned goods the seller will pass a credit note with the amount of goods sold then the entry will be
    Sales Returns a/c dr
    To the party(purchaser)
    (Being the purchaser credited with the value the value of goods sold)
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 1, 2009, 06:14 PM

satyanarayanara, what you just said is even less clear, and incorrect. You have a debit with no credit, and haven't include both entries required. Pready's entries are correct. And I'm not sure at all what "being the purchaser credited with the value of goods sold" means.

And a purchaser does not have to send a debit note. The not isn't necessary in order to make the entry - it just adds some paperwork for the sake of having paperwork.
    shuhada Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2012, 10:01 AM
    Once the CN approved:
    Debit-Sales
    Credit-CN Account Receivable

Then for the new Sales Order:
    Debit-Bank
    -CN Account Receivable
    Credit-Account receivable

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing a Judgment from Credit Report & Public Record [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the midst of trying to clean up my credit report, get inaccurate things off and update current derrogatory info. I intend to disput everything I possibly can. However what concerns me most is a judgment on my report and its public record (placed in 2004). Is there anyway that I...

After deleting record ,still the record should contain numbers serially [ 1 Answers ]

Helllo I have a problem in ms access 2007... I want to know how to make database continuous in serial number after deleting a record from it... for example if I have a table as follows Sl no fname lname 1 aaa bbb 2 yyy xxx 3 rrr uuu In the above example if...

Name on the deed not on the note, will it affect my credit [ 2 Answers ]

I bought an expensive parcel of land with 2 partners. The property is on short sale right now, only 1 partner's name is on the mortgage/note, the other 2 are just on the deed via quit claim. However, all 3 of us got served by the court. Are we responsible for the mortgage/note, though our names are...

Charged off accounts on credit record [ 3 Answers ]

I may be incorrect, but I was told that if you do not pay a credit card for 7 years without filing for bankruptcy, they can no longer hold it against you on your credit report... (bankruptcy is 10 years)... My question is this--if the credit card company does a "charge off" and sells your debt to...

View more questions Search