Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Louise79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Moving/court order visitation
    I am wanting to move 5 hours away from here but my 4 year old child visits with her dad every other weekend which is court ordered. I want her to still visit with her dad but I am afraid he is going to be nasty and make me stay here. I don't want to put my life on hold so what can I do?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Is the 5 hour move still in state?

If so he can't make you stay... what will most likely happen is your visitation will be changed to you both meeting halfway for pickup and dropoff.

If it is out of state you will need his consent before moving.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 15, 2007, 10:37 AM
    I'm not so sure about the in state vs out of state issue. If the visitation is court ordered than ANYTHING that will prevent the father from exercizing his vistation rights needs to be approved by the court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 15, 2007, 01:40 PM
    You may have to provide transportatino for the child so he does not miss any visits. After that if that does not work, you may have to provide further visits during holdiays, summer and the such to make up for other missed visits.

Point, if it was my kids I would block your moving in court, since it would stop my visits.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    Is the 5 hour move still in state?

If so he can't make you stay...what will most likely happen is your visitation will be changed to you both meeting halfway for pickup and dropoff.

If it is out of state you will need his consent before moving.

I am not aware of this ability to move within a State - as far as I am aware any move which will cause undue visitation hardship will not be approved. A five hour round trip drive, even with you splitting the distance, appears on its face to be a hardship.

At any rate - go back to Court and see what the Judge says. I wouldn't make any move without that Court appearance.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2007, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    I am not aware of this ability to move within a State - as far as I am aware any move which will cause undue visitation hardship will not be approved. A five hour round trip drive, even with you splitting the distance, appears on its face to be a hardship.
    Well maybe it varies state to state, or case to case, I just know when I called down to the courthouse to see if it would be a problem if I moved within the state, they said no. They just said the farther I move, the father could take me back to court to rearrange drop off and pick up.
    (Which really wouldn't matter in our case because it was already court ordered for us to meet halfway for drop off and pick up, so the farther I moved, the farther I too would have to drive for visitation.)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    Well maybe it varies state to state, or case to case, I just know when I called down to the courthouse to see if it would be a problem if I moved within the state, they said no. They just said the farther I move, the father could take me back to court to rearrange drop off and pick up.
    (Which really would matter in our case because it was already court ordered for us to meet halfway for drop off and pick up, so the farther I moved, the farther I too would have to drive for visitation.)

Once again what goes on in the Courts surprises me - in my area no advice is given by phone because the people actually picking up the calls are not Attorneys and are not allowed to give legal advice. They tell you to come in and speak to an Attorney or Judge. Of course, you can probably move anywhere you want as long as the mother and father are in agreement - it's when somebody decides not to cooperate that there's an issue.

Never heard the "as long as it's within the State it's okay" thinking before. I've seen remarried mothers refused permission to relocate with the new husband because it would change visitation by making the child less accessible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Court ordered visitation [ 1 Answers ]

Court ordered that I would have visitation every other weekend and on wednesdays. Here's the issue. I am currently in a shelter. Meaning I don't have a place for my daughter to spend the nights with me. Because I can't she can't spend the night my soon to be ex says that I can't get her the next...

Court ordered visitation [ 51 Answers ]

Can the mother of my child make it so that my parents cannot pick up my child for the time till I get home from work? Court order states that I get him for a mid week visit.

Is it reasonable to not allow visitation until court order? [ 2 Answers ]

I am an unwed mother of a 20 month old. Over two weeks ago the father and I broke up and he moved out. We have major communication issues, I do not trust the father, he has a history of drug and alcohol abuse, and currently has a DUI and no license. He did not call for two weeks concerning...

Access without court order [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, can any body help me with getting access to see my son, without having to go through the courts. My X will not return my call and tonight kicked me off her property. And it looked like my son was shaking. He was shaking his head and saying no when I asked him to speak to me. If any body can...

Question about modifying a visitation order? [ 22 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a question in regards to modifying a visitation order. My ex right now has reasonable and liberal visitation. He is an over the road truck driver and pops in and out of town whenever. He does give me notice but I have attempted many times to try to talk to him about coming to some...

View more questions Search