Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    natdsuarez Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2006, 10:50 AM
    Replace Thermal Limiter on Frigidaire Dryer
    Our Frigidaire Dryer will not turn on... According to the troubleshooting guide, we should replace the Thermal Limiter. I cannot figure out how to take the back of the dryer off to replace this part. Can you give me some very detailed instructions.

Thanks.

Natalie
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Jun 4, 2006, 08:46 PM
    Without a model number, I can't really say for sure. It should be on a tag behind the door. If it's a standard Frigidaire, you access it from the top, but we can go into that once I get a model number. Thanks.

Jun 5, 2006, 03:42 PM
    The Model No. is FSE447GHS0. I found out how to open it from the top from one of your other posts.

I think I need to use an Ohm-meter to test the connection. I'm not real sure how to use the meter.

The Thermal Limiter is in a really tight place.

Do you have any advice on how to use the Ohm-meter or how to get that part out?

Jun 5, 2006, 04:25 PM
    Yep, it's a peach to reach. I usually leave the part attached when I test them; I only remove it if it's bad. Make sure you unplug the dryer before doing anything. Set the meter for R X 1 scale (it may beep when you touch the leads together, but should read 0 when you do) and remove one of the two wires going to the cutoff. Touch one meter lead to each terminal. If the meter shows 0 or beeps, then it's good. Reattach the wire you removed and let me know how it goes.

Jun 5, 2006, 05:36 PM
    The meter did not read 0. I think my knuckles are permanently scarred, but I was able to replace the part & now the meter reads 0.

Unfortunately, I attempted this repair on my own prior to browsing this site. I unscrewed everything from the back of the dryer thinking that the back came off the dryer.

I know where most of the screws go, however I am having trouble finding the holes. I removed 4 short screws from the perimeter and 2 or 3 short screws from the middle section, and 2 longer screws (can't remember).

Is there a trick to put this thing back together? Please, I hope...

Jun 5, 2006, 08:58 PM
    Yikes. There should be 4 screws holding the heater housing to the rear wall of the cabinet. Most likely the reason the holes aren't lining up is because the heater housing fell down when the screws were removed. Also the rear drum bearing holder has 2 long hex screws that hold it in place. This bracket and holder is the only thing that supports the rear of the drum, so it likely fell down as well. At this point, it's entirely possible that you may not be able to reassemble it until you finish disassembling it. A month or so ago I helped someone change the rear bearing in their dryer (probably the same one you found earlier) that should also help you to remove the front panel and drum to make reinstalling the rear panel parts. Let me know if you can't find it again, or if you have other questions. Good luck.

Jun 7, 2006, 06:51 PM
    Yikes is right. The dryer has been making an awful squeaking sound... so perhaps I'll finish taking it apart.

I saw some other posts about a high pitched squeaking noise. In your opinion, should I be looking at the rear drum bearing holder or the roller. (don't really know what the roller is... )

Also, how do I remove the "drum"? Don't really know what it is called - the part where the clothes go. If I can remove that, I can at least see inside to reattach the parts I unscrewed earlier.

By the way, thank you so much for your quick responses, if we were in NE, we would just hire you to fix this thing.

Jun 7, 2006, 08:27 PM
    Likely you don't know what a roller is because your dryer doesn't have any rollers. Are you sure the noise you're hearing isn't caused by the drum rotating against parts that aren't where they're supposed to be? True, if a Frigidaire is making a really loud screeching sound, it's likely to be the rear bearing assembly... but I would wait until it's back together correctly before buying something you may not need. Besides, you will probably be able to repair that pretty easily after this... lol. The part you are referring to is indeed called the drum. Yep, once you get it out, everything is wide open. In April, I helped someone remove their Frigidaire drum to replace their rear bearing. So I don't have to retype it all, follow or copy/paste this link: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/applia...yer-20960.html
    There is a step-by-step description of how to disassemble the dryer. If, after reading or trying, you have any questions, let me know. Good luck.
    groythird Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 07:00 AM
    Frigidaire electric dryer model DESF-L-1. Replaced heating element and now it glows constantly. Could thermostat be bad? Could wires be on wrong?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frigidaire dryer ruining clothes [ 1 Answers ]

We have a frigidaire galley dryer that was purchased 4/5 years ago. Clothes are getting stuck in the crack around the door that allows the drum to spin. It leaves marks and/or chews them up. Has anyone experiences anything like this or know how to fix it.

Frigidaire Dryer squeaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Frigidaire dryer Model# FDE797IEWI. The dryer squeaks, mostly when starting and for the first few minutes while operating

Frigidaire Dryer not getting hot [ 0 Answers ]

Okay, after reading everything I can find, especially information from appleguy, I'm looking at one of two possible fuses for why the dryer isn't heating up. Looking at the parts manual, I can't figure out which of 2 it might be: 1. Thermostat,Safety Or 2. Thermal Limiter

How to replace thermal cutoff switch [ 1 Answers ]

Want to know the location of thermal cutoff switch on Y Magic chef electric dryer so that I can replace with new one. Model # YE/YG225LV

Magic chef electric dryer thermal cutoff [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Magic Chef electric dryer model # YE/YG225LV, the dryer runs but doesn't heat up. I had this problem before and the part # 279769 was replaced by my dad last year and that solved the problem. My dad recently has passed away, and I want to know how to replace this part again, and...

View more questions Search