Nov 29, 2005, 08:29 PM
    I don't like rodeo
    I think that rodeo is not good for the animals because they get abused. :(
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2005, 06:19 AM
    Rodeos
    Hi,
    Abuse is defined in many ways, and are you thinking of hurting animals when you ask your question?
    Calves are roped every day in many states across America, by farmers and ranchers. Just roping them in a rodeo arena is much the same.
    Bullriders are riding bulls, and I don't see them getting hurt; I do see the riders getting hurt!
    Championship Bulls, of which there were the top 10 for 2005, are very valued animals, and are used to determine who the top Bullriding champion will be. These bulls are valued at very high dollars, and treated much better than many animals. If rodeos really harmed animals, I am sure the American Humane Society would have something to say about it, in Court.
    I do wish you the best, and hope you have a great day.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Nov 30, 2005, 07:00 AM
    Down with animal abuse! I say we take these guys and tie a tight rope around their hineys let them see how it feels after having someone pulling that rope into their flesh. Animals can feel pain. Any dummy can see that.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Nov 30, 2005, 08:59 AM
    They are safer there then were they could be, if you are not a rodeo bull you are more than likely on some ones dinner plate, these bulls work for only a few second each time. And the rest of the day they are fed and cared for. The better the bull the more they are worth for breeding. Most good rodeos in America pride their selves on the care of the animal. Over time changes have been made to insure the safety of these animal. Please read Criticism of rodeos it will explain some of the penalties for miss treatment and the changes that have been made over the years. If you would like to fit the good fight lets talk about the puppy mills of America. Now that is a subject of abuse. :eek:

from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Much of the criticism is incorrectly drawn to the spectacular, but generally harmless (to the animals) rough stock events: bull riding, bareback bronc riding and saddle bronc riding. The timed events such as calf roping and especially steer roping pose a greater likelihood of injury to the animals. The rodeo associations have made some changes to reduce the chances of injury, such as requiring older, heavier calves for calf roping, larger steers for steer wrestling and many rodeos no longer have steer roping. In addition, severe penalties have been enacted for any techniques that increase the risk to the animal, such as jerking the rope, in effect ensuring that any cowboy using such tactics will lose or be disqualified from the event. Overall, the reality is that the risk of injury or death is much greater to the human participants than to the animals.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 11:33 AM
    All of you folks that think rodeo animals are abused should go ride a bull just once. Then tell me who was actually abused. I rode a bull once and it was the best three car wrecks I've ever been in at the same time. Give me a break!:mad:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2006, 11:35 AM
    But it's an american tradition!! They are cowboys, just like that guy on American Idol!
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 11:57 AM
    Your damn right it is an American tradition. One that these tree huggers had better stay as far away from as they can possibly get! I was once driving through the mountains of Idaho and as I came around a sharp corner there was a tree hugger standing in the road. Well, we ran over the little bugger so we tied it to the jeep and took it back to camp. Fried up with onions and garlic it tasted real good and tender. I would recommend a Cabarnet sauce with them also. So you see, they really are good for something. See you at the rodeo!;)
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 04:07 PM
    I was in 4-H as a kid, grew up in a rural area and so I have dealt with LOTS of cows and bulls in my life. Believe me, bulls are not being abused in rodeos!! Bulls are huge dangerous animals, and having a person on their backs might annoy them, but it doesn't hurt. People are too light! Like magprob says, anyone who says that has likely never been around a bull, or a cow, for that matter. Cows and calfs will step on your feet too, when you're leading them for a show or wherever, and man that hurts! Geese and turkeys are really vicious animals too, haha. South Park is not kidding when they showed that killer turkey! :D
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 04:30 PM
    And cats! Don't forget cats!

Those things are vicious, all those scratches and stuff.

Makes me shiver.

:p
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 04:49 PM
    I have attack geese watching my compound here in Idaho as we speak! As far as cats go, anything that sits on the television set and stares at you like you are the biggest dumb *** on the planet is not welcome in my home! The worst though, has to be a big mama pig. The closest I ever came to dying was the time my pig had piglets and I tried to grab one to show my school chums. She came over the fence and chased us all on top of a car! Then she walked back and forth just staring at us with those beady little black eyes. Beady black killers eyes!:eek:
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2006, 04:55 PM
    Ooooh scary story! Yeah you have to be careful around sows, that's for sure!

Most farm animals aren't cute and cuddly like they show in kids stories and movies, haha. :D
    coxcows Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by china_mm019
    I think that rodeo is not good for the animals because they get abused. :(
    Hey China, do your homework before you go posting such ridiculous comments! If you did do your homework then you wouldn't have anything bad to say about rodoes or rodeo animals. Please do your homework log on to PRORODEO
    THANKS
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Mar 3, 2007, 08:21 PM
    In all fairness to both sides, you are both right and wrong at the same time. As with all professions involving animals there are those who abuse them and those who do not. I have heard and seen the stories about the abuse given to rodeo stock animals. Stories about ropes and latigos being wrapped around genitalia to make them buck and other horrifying incidents.Sadly there are many incidents of this kind that are true.

However, not all rodeo contractors or cowboys do this! Most cowboys would rather have a naturally spirited animal to ride because they buck better and help you get better points. No one appreciates a beautiful horse like the cowboy. Abused animals often lose their spirit and their will to fight which makes them useless as bucking stock and breeding stock as well. Contractors feed their animals high and keep them in prime condition to work and later breed. Cowboys, contractors, and event operators work together to combat any abuse that they encounter within their ranks. They help pass rules and regulations within their sport and the law to protect their animals. God help any dumb cowboy want to be who wears illegal spurs or beats an animal. The other cowboys will give him back the same treatment that he gave the animal, usually with interest so he won't try it again.

Keep in mind that there have been incidents of abuse by even veterinarians and dog groomers. Dogs being struck with scissors in the face for misbehaving and vets performing unnecessary surgeries to get more money. Should one or two vets or groomers lead to the banishment of these professionals? Then why the cowboys? If you must crucify someone. Then become an animal rights protector and investigate the rodeo circuit and find the bad guys. But first, please learn the ropes(no pun intended) so that you learn what proper stock handling is about.
    chsracowgirl182 Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2009, 09:58 AM

I should post my senior paper on here... I think it posses a very good point, yes the animals are hurt, like in any other sport, but the percentage is SO low. About .00052. Well profesinal racing is 1/3 that's a HELL of a LOT more
    chsracowgirl182 Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Feb 13, 2009, 12:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by airbats-goku View Post
    In all fairness to both sides, you are both right and wrong at the same time. As with all professions involving animals there are those who abuse them and those who do not. I have heard and seen the stories about the abuse given to rodeo stock animals. Stories about ropes and latigos being wrapped around genitalia to make them buck and other horrifying incidents.Sadly there are many incidents of this kind that are true.
    It is anatomaically imposible for the Flank strap to be tied around the animals genitals, and the better broncs, are normally mares anyway, and if you had something tied their every time you moved it would PINCH so you wouldn't move the animals would figure that out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search