Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SeanB Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 11:36 PM
    How to start a Chess Club?
    :cool: :rolleyes: Hi, I am very fond of playing chess and would like to start a club where others who share the same passion can get together and play in real life (not over the internet). I live in India and am not a professional Chess player, only play it for its beauty and a hobby. I'm sure that there are others like me who would love to sit around and just play some serious chess. Here in New Delhi, India most chess clubs are Chess schools that teach chess at a professional level. How can I start a club for just chess lovers instead of pros.

Please advise?

Regds
    S
    kumar Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Jun 29, 2007, 01:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanB
    :cool: :rolleyes: Hi, I am very fond of playing chess and would like to start a club where others who share the same passion can get together and play in real life (not over the internet). I live in India and am not a professional Chess player, only play it for its beauty and a hobby. I'm sure that there are others like me who would love to sit around and just play some serious chess. Here in New Delhi, India most chess clubs are Chess schools that teach chess at a professional level. How can I start a club for just chess lovers instead of pros.

Please advise?

regds
    S
    I hope the following points may help You:-

BASICS
    Chess clubs can be very rewarding for organizers and participants if they are done well. Chess clubs need the following 6 things:

ORGANIZERS
    Without good organizers, coaches, parents, or volunteers, chess clubs would not succeed. They need dedicated and patient leaders who provide structure and motivation. If you are an organizer, don't over-commit. Do what you can, and do what you promise. Make sure you are always having fun!

PARTICIPANTS
    Almost anyone can learn chess! Even 2 year-olds can learn how to setup the board and move pieces around. Try and invite as many eligible participants as possible. Make sure you advertise your club as best you can. Clearly outline the purposes of the club and all of the information. Don't be afraid to ask for some donations of time and equipment from participants and their parents (if applicable). Also make sure that you clearly outline the many intellectual and social benefits of participating in chess club.

FACILITIES/SCHEDULE
    Make sure that you have proper facilities for chess club. You might have a great school, local community center, university, or even home or business willing to donate some space to you. You will need a well-lighted area with enough tables and chairs for all participants. Try and get long picnic-type tables - not round tables! Also try and schedule all club days and activities as far in advance as possible.

EQUIPMENT
    One of the worst things that can happen at chess club is to have people standing around waiting for a chess set. Make sure you get enough chess equipment for all participants. You don't need the fanciest sets for everyone. You don't even need chess clocks! Click here for some of Wholesale Chess' recommendations for quality affordable chess equipment for schools and clubs!

INSTRUCTION
    Chess club should be fun and educational. Clubs that are not balanced are not enjoyable. Too much play without progress can wear thin. And too much instruction without play can be dull. Try one lesson a day (within your participants' attention span!) and then some play. You might also want to mix in some activities like mini-tournaments, chess mini-games (like trying to put 8 queens on a board without any of them attacking each other!). Click here for some books that Wholesale Chess recommends for chess coaches and teachers!

MOTIVATION
    Set goals for yourself as the coach/organizer and for your students. Maybe your goal might be to attend a local tournament a few months away. Or set your own tournament day or chess party day. That way everybody is looking forward to something and working on their chess for a reason!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2007, 01:18 AM
    Excellent answer above with very good points to consider.

In addition, I would suggest just getting together with some friends who might like to learn to play and just do it! It already sounds like you have the ambition to be an organizer. Just start asking and get the people together.

You could also make up your own rules for the club.

Jun 29, 2007, 01:21 AM
    Thanks Guys, really not into going Pro as an organizer, but more like a club where everyone is responsible for meeting up and playing! You know, an informal club with mutual respect for just chess, something like the concept of a chess café.. minus the café!! How do I round up people and ask them if they're like to meet up? Should I start an online communnity or something?
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2007, 01:24 AM
    Another point will be to let as many people as possible know about your idea. Put out posters that would inform people about your chess club and all relevant information like date and place.

It would be a good idea also to setup a chess club website with all the events and information.

Jun 29, 2007, 01:47 AM
    For starters Irrelevant Thoughts: Chess Meetups – New Delhi How do I publicize this?
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2007, 02:08 AM
    I know that some of following sites will allow you to advertise around the world. Even if they don't, you could still try advertising on them. It works very well for my private businesses. Just put in Clough Quad Cites in a Google search and you will see what I mean. They are all free ads. Of course, people won't be looking for your name, but they might be looking for games or chess in New Delhi.

USA - cliQs.com

Everything from Everywhere

DomesticSale - The Effective Free Classifieds

Free Classifieds Ads - Internet Advertising to Sell Online

Vast.com - Search All The Classifieds On The Web

PennySaverUSA Classifieds Online: Local ads in California

Free Classifieds - FinditClassifieds.com

Oodle.com Classifieds - Search local online classifieds

BuySellCommunity Classifieds - Buy & Sell Locally : Free Online Classifieds

Free Classifieds @ Adpost.com

Free Classifieds, Free Ads, Free advertisement, Business Opportunity

Free Classifieds - FinditClassifieds.com

Free advertising. Free classifieds Free classified Ads Free Ads Free Internet advertising Free online advertising Online classifieds
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2007, 02:11 AM
    Also, many of the blogspots that people subscribe to get excellent exposure on the Internet. You don't need to tell your life's story on them like some people do. But, you can use them for advetising.

Jun 29, 2007, 02:11 AM
    Thanks guys, you've been a great help. Really appreciate it.
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2007, 02:13 AM
    You want to play chess? I love to play chess!

Jun 29, 2007, 02:15 AM
    Hell yeah, I'd love to play chess. It's all I do :)
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2007, 02:25 AM
    Then let's gp! Unfortunately, I'm probably about 1,500 (or more) miles away from you. So, only wishful thinking.

You will be successful in your endeavor if you pursue it. I am sure that there are others near to you that share the same interests.

Jun 29, 2007, 02:28 AM
    Lol, I actually thought you were referring to internet chess. But if you're not aware, FICS is a great place to start, maybe you should sign-up. Free Internet Chess Server (FICS)
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2007, 02:33 AM
    I just might do that. Thanks for mentioning it.
    rajmahendra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2007, 09:12 PM
    Hi SeanB

I am from India, I and one of my best friend have started a Chess Website.

We plan to spread this specular game around.

If you are interested on handling website, posting articles etc.

You are welcome.

Mail you about your view in this .

Thank you.
    Raj.
    gambhirjatin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 04:41 AM
    Hey guys... my father is very fond of chess and I was searching for a chess group in delhi when I came across this. I guess even if there are a few of us to begin with, we can start the club. If anyone is interested in being a part of the club...
    ranjanbharti Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 11:55 PM
    Hi,
    I am Ranjan Bharti, I love to play chess,
    I am putting up in south Delhi If any one is interested to play chess
    Please contact me on mail - [email protected], [email protected]

Waiting for your reply
    Thanks in Advance
    Ranjan Bharti
    chanduchess Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 12:23 AM
    Hello SeanB,
    Even I was looking for a similar friends. I am also a chess lover, I like to play as my hobby.
    Surely we can make a group like an informal club and play chess.. please do mail me. [email protected]

Feb 5, 2011, 12:27 AM
    Comment on Clough's post
    Hello Clough, how do you do?
    I too like to play chess..

Feb 5, 2011, 12:33 AM
    Comment on gambhirjatin's post
    Hello I think there are sufficient members to make a group and play chess..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Club song name [ 2 Answers ]

What's the name of a club song that only consists of the word down?

Club photo [ 6 Answers ]

I have all of my photo albums on a web sight called club photo & I can no longer bring up the sight. Has anyone else had this problem?

Night club [ 2 Answers ]

My friend was kicked in the head by a bouncer after being thrown out of a bar. He probably deserved to be thrown out however was not being aggressive until challenged by the bouncers. Does he have a claim?

View more questions Search