Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SLowe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2006, 09:20 PM
    Credit Card SOL in AL
    I have a credit card that was charged off in 10/2003. It has been sold to an attorney that is trying to collect. What is the SOL in AL for this type debt? I have not agreed that it is my debt and I personally have not spoken to the firm.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Here are the various statutes of limitations for AL:

"Contracts under seal: 10 years, (A.C. 6-2-33)

Contracts not under seal; actions on account stated and for detention of personal property or conversion: 6 years (A.C. 6-2-34)

Sale of goods under the UCC: 4 years (A.C. 7 -2- 725)

Open accounts: 3 years (A.C. 6-2-37)

Actions to recover charges by a common carrier and negligence actions; 2 years, (A.C. 6-2-38)

Actions based on fraud: 2 years (A.C. 6-2-3)" [source]

I'm not positive, but it seems credit card debt must be under contracts not under seal.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 13, 2006, 08:30 AM
    Well I am glad to see SOL stood for statue of Limitation, I need to go to confession today I guess.

But the point is that SOL is only the time they have to go to court and get a judgement and inforce it in court, The collection companies can attempt to collect the debt forever, there is no limitation on how long they can re-sale it, keep calling and keep sending letters. You can still get a call for this 40 years from now in the retirmenet home. But they just can't take you to court.

Now if the had gotten a judgement prior to the SOL ran out, then it may still be enforceable if they have keep the judgement renewed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-bf and his credit card debt [ 7 Answers ]

I need advice. My problem involves an ex-bf and a credit card account. When I met my ex-bf, he didn't have great credit, so I agreed to open up an account to purchase a laptop for him and he would pay for the credit card. The problem is that, we broke up a few months later. He continued to make...

Credit Card debt [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal for a credit card company (Sears) to garnish your wages? And have access to your bank account? i.e to know when and how much money you deposite in your checking account.

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 credit card judgements against me and have recently filed for bankruptcy-do I need to file a motion to vacate these judgements or is it automatic with the discharge?

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

I Need Credit Card [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Credit Card To Purchase Some Books

View more questions Search