Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Blawy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2014, 11:44 AM
    What is the relationship between product X and Y in this demand curve? Substitute or
    What is the relationship between product X and Y in this demand curve?
    Substitute or complement? Qdx = 80 - 3Px + 2Py - 10I
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 10, 2014, 12:04 PM
    I won't give you the answer, but I will help you through it so you can solve it yourself. From the equation if the price of y increases does Qx increase or decrease? What would you expect Qx to do if x is a complement of y and y's price increases? How about if x is a substitute for y? Please answer these and we'll be happy to check your answers.

Nov 10, 2014, 12:27 PM
    If x is a complement of y and y's price increases, Qx will decrease? If x is a substitute of y, then Qx will increase.
    Expert

Nov 10, 2014, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Blawy View Post
    If x is a complement of y and y's price increases, Qx will decrease? If x is a substitute of y, then Qx will increase.
    Seems logical. So, what's your answer - is x a complement or substitute for y?

Nov 10, 2014, 12:52 PM
    Complement?
    Expert

Nov 10, 2014, 12:56 PM
    Are you guessing? Have you figured out what happens to Qx when Py increases?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Market demand curve and law of demand [ 0 Answers ]

What dose market demand curve reflect the law of demand

Economics - Assumption on Demand Curve [ 1 Answers ]

How to estimate demand elasticity if I have sales data (Milk) from a grocery store chain? Any assumptions can be made on demand curve?

Demand curve [ 0 Answers ]

down the demand curve, what do different points tell about consumer welfare, MRS and marginal benefit associated with various levels of consumptions? Explain with the help of indifference curve and budget line

Higher elasticity of demand of product=more careful of product price change? [ 1 Answers ]

"The higher the elasticity of demand of a product the more careful should be the sellers of the product to price changes." Is there any validity to this assertion?

View more questions Search