Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Aug 2, 2006, 07:22 PM
    LAN and Laptop troubles
    I have a laptop from work. I believe it has wirelss capibilities, butmy workplace tried to disable them. But I have found a way to work around it. My problem is that I have a wireless router and when I turn on my laptop, I am able to go on to the internet for a very brief amount of time. But after about 30 seconds the whole connection fails. When I try to repair connection, cannot find IP address. When I try to renew through "run" it says I can't proceed because media is disconnected. I thought it might be because of the program "sygate security agent" the connection was shut down. I don't think it is my router, because my son hooks up his xbox wirelessly and it works fine. I'm confused. Can anyone help?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2006, 06:28 AM
    Yes I can help, but you probably won't like it. My advice is to go to your IT department and explain that you want to be able to do work at home on the laptop and ask that they enable the wireless adapter.

Do NOT attempt to disable it on your own! Do NOT try to use it wireless without the company's permission. This is not YOUR laptop, it belongs to them and they have the right to restrict its use according to what they feel is best. They are probably disabling the Wireless NIC because of security concerns.

What do you think might happen to your job if the company network got infected due to your overriding their protections?
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Aug 3, 2006, 08:51 AM
    Thank-you Scott. It's like the old saying,"Nothing is free." Except advice that is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rat Troubles [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All! I live in a condominium village where all the units are connected. The units are individually owned and my mother and I live in two separate units side by side. Today my dogs discovered rats inside the under belly of my electric grill. The grill has been covered with a black grill...

Toilet troubles [ 5 Answers ]

You need to forgive me I am not am not sure what all the parts of the toilet are called so I hope I can explain this well. The other day I noticed my toilet was making a hissing noise constantly. I took the lid off the tank and noticed it is coming from the fill valve area. I noticed there is a...

Married Man Troubles [ 11 Answers ]

I know why did I even get involved with a married man? Well I've just come out of a bad marriage myself and he understood what I've been feeling so it seemed like not that bad an idea.. and initially we said that it would be purely sex.. but he was realllllyyy good. And I got emotionally...

MSN troubles [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I've been using the same hotmail account for almost 2 years now and it's worked flawlessly up until now. I tried logging into MSN yesterday and it tells me "Signing into MSN Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." Now I've read a few...

Troubles: [ 2 Answers ]

Why do troubles and trials exist in this world? HANK :confused:

View more questions Search